Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2024, 09:21 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times

Advertisements

I recently got a new PC and went from Windows 10 to Windows 11 (not that I think that matters to my problem). My Facebook account did not transfer over to my new computer, and I was basically told, "Tough luck. It's on a web browser and can't be migrated."

Well, I set up a new account, but instead of saying, "https://www.facebook.com/" followed by my name, it says, "https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=" nnnnnnnnnnnn (a 12-digit number). At first, I just thought that was weird, but within a few hours, I realized I was no longer getting a Facebook feed of any kind. I can post on my page and people can comment on my posts, but without a continual feed, it's pretty much worthless to even have the account. Of course, to make matters worse, Facebook has no customer service phone number or customer service email. You'd think that the biggest social media platform in the world would provide help for its customers, but apparently not.

Can anybody help me figure out how to get a feed back on my account?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2024, 09:29 AM

1,847 posts, read 867,463 times
Facebook accounts don't "transfer". It's just a login through a browser or the phone app. You just have to know your name and password from your first FB account.

And yes,that link is correct, once you are in your profile. But in order to get any feeds in your new profile, you have to Like pages, Join groups, and Send friend requests to people you know.

Old 01-29-2024, 01:20 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
Facebook accounts don't "transfer". It's just a login through a browser or the phone app. You just have to know your name and password from your first FB account.

And yes,that link is correct, once you are in your profile. But in order to get any feeds in your new profile, you have to Like pages, Join groups, and Send friend requests to people you know.
I have sent out new friend requests and have had several people accept them. When they post something, it is showing up on a news feed that I can only access by clicking on the "Home" icon. I can then see them there, but they're still not showing up on my profile page. Maybe I'm going to just have to click "Home" every time I want to see a news feed. Inconvenient but not the end of the world, I guess. It just seems like a platform as big as Facebook would have a customer support line, but they don't.

Old 01-29-2024, 01:38 PM

1,847 posts, read 867,463 times
My Facebook defaults to Home, which is where the feed is. Maybe you need to change your bookmark to Home instead of Profile.

Old 01-29-2024, 01:51 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,582 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I have sent out new friend requests and have had several people accept them. When they post something, it is showing up on a news feed that I can only access by clicking on the "Home" icon. I can then see them there, but they're still not showing up on my profile page. Maybe I'm going to just have to click "Home" every time I want to see a news feed. Inconvenient but not the end of the world, I guess. It just seems like a platform as big as Facebook would have a customer support line, but they don't.
Since you're not paying anything for it, it's not really worth their time to solve interface problems unless it's a problem that could land them in court or make them liable for damage.

For what it's worth, Facebook wouldn't let me use my maiden name, which sounds like a nickname for an illegal activity. But it really is my maiden name.

Old 01-31-2024, 05:27 AM

1,097 posts, read 641,748 times
Quote:
When they post something, it is showing up on a news feed that I can only access by clicking on the "Home" icon. I can then see them there, but they're still not showing up on my profile page. Maybe I'm going to just have to click "Home" every time I want to see a news feed. Inconvenient but not the end of the world, I guess.
Interesting. When I go to facebook.com, the default is "Home". I don't have to click "Home". That's the only place my news feed resides...not my profile page.

Old 01-31-2024, 07:07 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
"without a continual feed, it's pretty much worthless to even have the account."

That pretty much sums up facebook. Useless. I hate that site because all these mega corporations like facebook are just tracking people from here to kingdom come and selling their personal information to other sleaze bag corporations. The people who use these things are the source of huge revenues to these corporations, and they get zero back.

Old 02-02-2024, 04:31 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
Why don't you just edit the Bookmark/Favorite you use for Facebook so it shows: https://www.facebook.com/ and see if that resolved the issue.

Old 02-03-2024, 06:37 AM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Perhaps you just need to clear history and cookies and see if that helps.

Old 02-03-2024, 11:01 AM

666 posts, read 422,523 times
Oh another one for my snapshot directory!
These safari excursions are so exciting!

Quote:
Of course, to make matters worse, Facebook has no customer service phone number or customer service email. You'd think that the biggest social media platform in the world would provide help for its customers, but apparently not.
Obligatory the end users are not the customers, but instead the commodity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
just tracking people from here to kingdom come and selling their personal information to other sleaze bag corporations. The people who use these things are the source of huge revenues to these corporations, and they get zero back.
Even if the data were being sold to "good" entities, it would still be treacherous. The core of the problem is that information is being mass collected at all.

Also I think that the term "feed" is both apropos and hilarious. As though one were eating feed from a trough. That's just what these attention economy disservices are. Digital troughs. Eat up, piggies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology