Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2024, 08:34 AM

9,116 posts, read 6,165,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Testingthis View Post
I don't need to go to a library to learn Spanish when I am Spanish. I just need an accurate translator. That's it.

What have you been speaking all your life?

Are you saying that you speak Spanish poorly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2024, 08:38 AM

10,889 posts, read 7,376,511 times
Do you need words translated or just pronounced?

Old 01-27-2024, 08:39 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,874,326 times
Even in the U.S. where English is usually spoken, there is a vast difference between how we pronounce things down here in the South compared to the up North pronunciation.

But not when using an "app for that" the app will say the (English) word in standard "midwest" neutral.

Spanish is not like English, in that regard. The dialects have much to do with vocabulary, phrases, borrowed words, context, even the pace of conversation - but the pronunciation of written words hardly varies. As others noted, Spanish pronunciation rules (when reading aloud) are quite simple (unlike English, where the rules have more exceptions than not). Rrrrrolling letters are difficult for non-natives, that's about it.

Old 01-27-2024, 08:58 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,187,428 times
Quote:
I already know Spanish. I am not a beginner but I am trying to be fluent. Not all words are pronounced how they are typed. Some letters are pronounced differently depending on the words which makes a big difference. That's probably why Google is saying a lot of words incorrectly. An accurate translator would fix this. That's what I am looking for. A translator that will pronounce both in English and Spanish without changing the words I typed like the Microsoft translator I just tried did.
Well, in this thread when I highlight Spanish example you and the other person - the SouthWest88 kindly has used - the iOS offers me a translation where both words/text are pronounced as audio without any app.

See if you are happy with the pronunciation in iOS.

On another note you seem a bit abrasive with people who are trying to help you. You may need to work on that too.
You know, appreciate the help and show some gratitude for the attempt of people to help you even when it isn’t perfect results for YOU.

Old 01-27-2024, 10:19 AM

27,438 posts, read 1,054,629 times
Hi. Go to the wordreference.com forum. Someone there may be able to assist you.

Old 01-27-2024, 11:26 AM

29 posts, read 17,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Do you need words translated or just pronounced?
Both

Old 01-27-2024, 03:30 PM

4,511 posts, read 2,660,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
Even in the U.S. where English is usually spoken, there is a vast difference between how we pronounce things down here in the South compared to the up North pronunciation.

But not when using an "app for that" the app will say the (English) word in standard "midwest" neutral.

Spanish is not like English, in that regard. The dialects have much to do with vocabulary, phrases, borrowed words, context, even the pace of conversation - but the pronunciation of written words hardly varies. As others noted, Spanish pronunciation rules (when reading aloud) are quite simple (unlike English, where the rules have more exceptions than not). Rrrrrolling letters are difficult for non-natives, that's about it.
Once you learn the Castilian soft C and Z versus Latin-American pronunciation, and you get accustomed to the Argentinian way to pronounce ll and y, you're kinda set.

Of course, like in any language there are several consonants that have soft and hard forms, like the C in cebolla is soft and the C in casa is hard.

All that takes a week or so to learn. Then you just pronounce things the way they're spelled, according to the few simple rules. Other than a vanishingly small number of recent loan-words, you're all set. No need for computer doohickeys; use that powerful computer between the ears.

Old 01-27-2024, 03:31 PM

4,511 posts, read 2,660,480 times
Quote:
I already know Spanish. I am not a beginner but I am trying to be fluent. Not all words are pronounced how they are typed. Some letters are pronounced differently depending on the words which makes a big difference. That's probably why Google is saying a lot of words incorrectly. An accurate translator would fix this. That's what I am looking for. A translator that will pronounce both in English and Spanish without changing the words I typed like the Microsoft translator I just tried did.
Show us some examples. I am not aware of any, except - as I noted - very recent loan words from other languages.

Old 01-31-2024, 08:11 PM

8,307 posts, read 13,439,396 times
That talking Chihuahua in commercials back in the day thought me Spanish really well but all I can say with a decent Spanish accent is "Yo Quiero Taco Bell".

This is an online site but not sure if you'd like it: https://www.ingles.com/traductor

Old 02-03-2024, 09:25 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,167,593 times
When typing some Spanish words such as "año," pay particular attention to the tilde above the "n"

For example, wishing somebody a" happy near year" in Spanish, make sure that you don't forget the "tilde." If you forget the tilde, like this: "Feliz ano nuevo," all you are telling the person is this: "Happy new anus!"

Spanish/English: Ano = anus. Año = year.

And yes, if it's not offensive to the other person, at least you can make him or her laugh some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology