Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2023, 06:26 PM

2,319 posts, read 2,169,630 times

Advertisements

https://www.costco.com/duracell-copp...100836521.html

So if no word "rechargeable" on Duracell battery, then it is not rechargeable, correct?

I used to buy Duracell battery in Costco, not expensive at all. It does not indicate "rechargeable" anywhere on the battery, then I guess it is not chargeable, just threw them away when battery runs out.

But I am thinking about buying some rechargeable battery and a charger, so that I can produce less harmful materials into the environment.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Rechargeable battery-battery.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2023, 06:58 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
Correct.

You can also look at the chemicals that make up the battery. Alkaline batteries are not rechargable.
Rechargable batteries are usually NiCD, NiMH, or Li-ion.

And of course, they are relatively more expensive to their non-rechargable counterparts.

Old 10-30-2023, 10:36 AM

23,588 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Correct.

You can also look at the chemicals that make up the battery. Alkaline batteries are not rechargable.
Rechargable batteries are usually NiCD, NiMH, or Li-ion.

And of course, they are relatively more expensive to their non-rechargable counterparts.
Errrr... not really. The reactions involved are two way. You CAN put charge back into alkaline batteries, but it isn't commonly done for a few reasons: You can't get them charged back to near what the initial stored energy was, the results of a recharge are inconsistent, each recharge is a case of diminishing returns, there is enough waste heat in the process that it can cause damage, the possibility of leakage is increased, and the chances of the powered device crapping out at an unexpected time are greatly increased.

Where recharging an alkaline might make sense is where the recharged battery will be unconnected to a circuit until use, and then has to release a fairly short burst of energy (three or four minutes or less) and can die without damaging anything.

Old 11-05-2023, 04:12 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,650,286 times
There are lithium AAA and AA that are not rechargeable.

Old 12-02-2023, 06:26 AM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
If you buy some rechargeable batteries, look closely at the voltage. They will generally be less voltage than a comparable non rechargeable battery. A rechargeable AA battery runs 1.2V while your non rechargeable battery runs 1.5V. Whether or not this causes a problem w/ what you're putting them in just depends. I know that w/ my aux bike H-lamp which takes 1.5V AA batteries, the non rechargeable ones gave a noticeably dimmer light. I don't like to use the rechargeable ones in my film cameras either because the difference between 1.2V and 1.5V will throw off my light meter, as it really needs 1.5V to be accurate.

I'm not big on damaging the earth either, but switching to rechargeable batteries would not make a significant difference, it's like one drop in an ocean. Something like driving a gas burning car, from the making and maintenance of, is a totally toxic endeavor. Ditching that for a an EV car, or ditching the car entirely and riding an eBike and using public transit along w/ UBER or renting a vehicle if it's occasionally necessary, now that does make a significant difference in the pollution of the planet.

There are a lot of other ways to make a difference too: keeping your electronic devices as long as they work well and not constantly ditching them for those that are simply more shiny, buying clothes and other items from thrift stores, buying or making things like shelves, furniture, tables etc from recycled items and materials from Habitat for Humanity, buying used appliances instead of the new ones......

Last edited by stephenMM; 12-02-2023 at 06:44 AM..

Old 12-08-2023, 05:14 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
The simplest and safest way: if you want a rechargeable battery, buy a rechargeable battery. I have no idea why the OP has to worry about the "environment" relating to a rechargeable battery versus a non-rechargeable one. Both are recyclable, and at one point or another both left environmental damage during their ingredient gathering and construction processes.

Just be aware of the following warning that's usually posted on the battery's label: make sure that you charge the battery as instructed by the battery manufacturer. For example, I have several battery-operated power tools, and different chargers. Most of the batteries are Lithium, but not all are. I still can recharge all non-lithium or lithium Dewalt batteries with the charger designed for lithium batteries, but if I use the chargers that aren't designed to charge lithium batteries the lithium battery can get very hot and even explode.

Old 02-02-2024, 04:47 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
The simplest and safest way: if you want a rechargeable battery, buy a rechargeable battery. I have no idea why the OP has to worry about the "environment" relating to a rechargeable battery versus a non-rechargeable one. Both are recyclable, and at one point or another both left environmental damage during their ingredient gathering and construction processes.

Just be aware of the following warning that's usually posted on the battery's label: make sure that you charge the battery as instructed by the battery manufacturer. For example, I have several battery-operated power tools, and different chargers. Most of the batteries are Lithium, but not all are. I still can recharge all non-lithium or lithium Dewalt batteries with the charger designed for lithium batteries, but if I use the chargers that aren't designed to charge lithium batteries the lithium battery can get very hot and even explode.
^^^^

This.

Key thing to using rechargeable batteries is using a proper charger. If one didn't come with the batteries, make sure the one you buy was actually designed for the type of rechargeable batteries you have.

Also, do NOT do this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baike View Post
...then I guess it is not chargeable, just threw them away when battery runs out.
If you really meant this:
Quote:
But I am thinking about buying some rechargeable battery and a charger, so that I can produce less harmful materials into the environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology