Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2021, 11:15 AM

3,979 posts, read 6,787,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter600 View Post
If in you first experiment you were able to have a circuit running with 12V 1A, then in the second experiment with the more powerful magnet you won't be able to achieve the same voltage and current. It will draw a higher current and/or voltage (depending on your power supply) - it will be impossible to keep that circuit at 12V and 1A after using a stronger magnet.
Well, I'm not an electrical engineer and I lack the knowledge in the field of electrical engineering to be sure about that, but in the few practical experiments that I have tried the fact that the permanent magnet was changed by a stronger one didn't affect the voltage and current that I was able to draw from my small desk top DC power supply...

Didn't try any new experiments in the past two years, but the idea remains in my mind... Guess I'm going to wait for those new Iron Nitride (Fe16N2) magnets to be available in the market before trying anything again...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2021, 10:47 PM

33,531 posts, read 37,130,597 times
I used the magnets from an old radar on my boat to hold things on place on the oil stove. I could not lift them off, but had to slide them, they were that strong.

Old 08-13-2021, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I used the magnets from an old radar on my boat to hold things on place on the oil stove. I could not lift them off, but had to slide them, they were that strong.
I have two neodymium magnets that are squares with sides of 5 centimeters and the two magnets stuck together and it's impossible to me to bring them apart, I tried hard but I can't

Old 08-26-2021, 11:52 PM

6,937 posts, read 6,868,065 times
It sounds like an invention is coming...

I know absolutely nothing about this subject or electricity but I have come across the work of John Bedini and his battery charging circuits which use normal magnets mounted on a bicycle wheel. As each magnet passes a coil it generates a pulse of electricity and the back emf(?) generates more electricity giving far more charge to the battery. Passed through a set of diodes charges the battery in a way which is totally different to normal battery charging and reconditions an old lead acid battery as well.

The rumour is that he found out other 'stuff' which caused him to be warned off (by those pesky government or oil muscle men) putting the 'stuff' out there on the internet like he did with his previous discoveries, so maybe there is much more to be uncovered in and around that area of research.

Some people connected to that area suggest there is more about electricity which we have not yet discovered in terms of back emf and how electricity really works. Suggesting that it does not work the way we are taught in our school and university text books.

As I say, I know nothing about this subject so I might be talking a load of hot air. On the other hand it might be a cheaper and more fruitful area of research since someone has already started the ball rolling.

Old 08-27-2021, 03:31 AM

1,014 posts, read 479,433 times
Carrying a 8,000 ibs car is not limits? This is a lot.

Old 09-01-2021, 09:19 AM

884 posts, read 356,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Well, I'm not an electrical engineer and I lack the knowledge in the field of electrical engineering to be sure about that, but in the few practical experiments that I have tried the fact that the permanent magnet was changed by a stronger one didn't affect the voltage and current that I was able to draw from my small desk top DC power supply...

Didn't try any new experiments in the past two years, but the idea remains in my mind... Guess I'm going to wait for those new Iron Nitride (Fe16N2) magnets to be available in the market before trying anything again...
I am glad you are conducting experiments, because that is the bedrock of science. More people should follow that example.

Here is what I would suggest, if you do repeat your experiment when you get a new Iron Nitride magnet.

-Set up your circuit as before
-Independently measure the current through the coil and the voltage across the coil using a voltmeter and ammeter, rather than depending on the power source setting. Ideally use digital meters which can log data to a computer, so you get measurements over time.
-Carry out the experiment
-Measure the height reached by the coil when it jumps

Then
-Calculate resting power used by the coil (energy dissipated as heat mostly)
-Calculate the energy used by the coil during the "jump."
-Calculate ( energy used by the coil during the "jump") - (resting power x time coil is accelerated for). This gives you the energy imparted on the coil.
-Calculate the maximum potential energy gained by the coil (mass x g x height at top of "jump").

The energy imparted on the coil should be roughly equal to the maximum potential energy of the coil at top of the jump. It won't be exactly equal as there is energy lost due to friction, air resistance, etc.

Even better is if you reverse the experiment and have the coil at the bottom and make the magnet jump. The magnet jumping will be cleaner, while the coil is still attached as it jumps. Since the coil is attached, some of it's kinetic energy during the jump will be converted into elastic potential energy in the connecting wires, so that skews the experiment a bit.

Old 09-07-2021, 02:37 AM

6,937 posts, read 6,868,065 times
Just remember to keep an eye out the window for the black SUVs with dark tinted windows. Make sure you keep notes but dont keep them at your place - give them to a trusted friend with strict instructions to publish them if you die or disappear suddenly. There are loads of scientists who have died under mysterious circumstances of perfectly 'normal' causes.

Old 11-30-2021, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter600 View Post
I am glad you are conducting experiments, because that is the bedrock of science. More people should follow that example.

Here is what I would suggest, if you do repeat your experiment when you get a new Iron Nitride magnet.

-Set up your circuit as before
-Independently measure the current through the coil and the voltage across the coil using a voltmeter and ammeter, rather than depending on the power source setting. Ideally use digital meters which can log data to a computer, so you get measurements over time.
-Carry out the experiment
-Measure the height reached by the coil when it jumps

Then
-Calculate resting power used by the coil (energy dissipated as heat mostly)
-Calculate the energy used by the coil during the "jump."
-Calculate ( energy used by the coil during the "jump") - (resting power x time coil is accelerated for). This gives you the energy imparted on the coil.
-Calculate the maximum potential energy gained by the coil (mass x g x height at top of "jump").

The energy imparted on the coil should be roughly equal to the maximum potential energy of the coil at top of the jump. It won't be exactly equal as there is energy lost due to friction, air resistance, etc.

Even better is if you reverse the experiment and have the coil at the bottom and make the magnet jump. The magnet jumping will be cleaner, while the coil is still attached as it jumps. Since the coil is attached, some of it's kinetic energy during the jump will be converted into elastic potential energy in the connecting wires, so that skews the experiment a bit.
Thank you for the input.

My experiments were very crude, with rudimentary equipment. I do plan to make new experiments in the future with better measurements. Just out of curiosity. I'm very curious to check how much permanent magnets with stronger magnetic fields will cause higher "jumps" with the same volts and amps in the coil, and what the limit of that will be.

Old 03-10-2022, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
It seems that a new kind of permanent magnets made of Iron Nitride (Fe16N2) is being developed, that is as strong as neodymium, maybe stronger, but is cheaper because doesn't need rare earth minerals to be made. That's good news for magnetic repulsion researchers.
This company, Niron Magnets, appears to be leading the way to bring those cheaper permanent magnets to the market:

https://nironmagnetics.com/

I hope those Iron Nitride magnets can have magnetic fields as strong, or maybe stronger, than neodymium magnets, for a much lower cost.

Old 03-10-2022, 07:45 AM

10,840 posts, read 4,521,326 times
yes, there is, and I studied it in school, but be damned if I can remember how to derive it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology