Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 10:27 AM

1,687 posts, read 1,268,254 times

Advertisements

Great short documentary on homelessness in San Francisco. I promise I'm not trying to make a political statement. I just thought it was really interesting and wanted to pass it along.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/san-franc...ents-officials
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2019, 10:40 AM

1,687 posts, read 1,268,254 times
It doesn't. Or maybe this could serve as a warning to Phoenix. I don't know. Like I initially said, just found it interesting and wanted to pass it along. If you don't like it, ask a mod to take it down. Or don't watch it. I don't really care.

Old 08-21-2019, 04:32 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Yes youre not telling us something we dont already know.

But let me ask you this, why do 3 of the 4 west coast cities profiled by Fox News make this ranking if they are supposedly terrible places?

US News & World Report evaluated the 125 largest Metro Areas looking at all sorts of factors:

20 Best Metro Areas to Live in
1. Austin, Texas
2. Denver, Colorado
3. Colorado Springs, Colorado
4. Fayetteville, Arkansas
5. Des Moines, Iowa
6. Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minnesota
7. San Francisco, California
8. Portland, Oregon
9. Seattle, Washington
10. Raleigh & Durham, North Carolina
11. Huntsville, Alabama
12. Madison, Wisconsin
13. Grand Rapids, Michigan
14. San Jose, California
15. Nashville, Tennessee
16. Asheville, North Carolina
17. Boise, Idaho
18. Sarasota, Florida
19. Washington, D.C.
20. Charlotte, North Carolina

https://realestate.usnews.com/places...ive?src=usn_pr

In this ranking, "San Francisco"=Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, San Francisco and San Mateo counties.

Also,

SF scored higher than any other major metro as far as desirability, which the US News ranking determined based on the results of a survey taken by thousands of participants across the country.

Desirability Rating/Metro Area/#Overall Rank
10.0 San Francisco#7
9.6 San Diego#36
9.1 Seattle#9
9.0 New York#90
8.8 Denver#2
8.7 Los Angeles#107
8.2 Phoenix#26
7.1 Washington DC#19
6.9 Dallas#21
6.9 Miami#113
6.8 Atlanta#57
6.8 Chicago#104
6.7 Boston#27
6.6 Tampa#56
6.5 Houston#30
6.5 Minneapolis#6
6.2 Philadelphia#102
6.1 Cleveland#85
6.0 Baltimore#100
5.9 St Louis#81
5.3 Detroit#93

SF also had a higher desirability rating than the city ranked 1st in the overall ranking.

9.0 Austin#1

So why do you think SF is so much more livable and desirable than just about every conservative-dominated area of the country despite such a damning and 'fair and balanced' critique by Fox News?

Old 08-21-2019, 05:50 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,177,342 times
7th is not that great it should be first with the beauty and advantages sf has. And what does that have to do with homelessness wrecking that beautiful city??

Old 08-21-2019, 06:07 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
7th is not that great it should be first with the beauty and advantages sf has. And what does that have to do with homelessness wrecking that beautiful city??
7th is exceptional and this is not a ranking of "beauty", it's a ranking of livability and quality of life.

And it has EVERYTHING TO DO WITH THE FOX NEWS NARRATIVE because this ranking debunks what Fox wants everyone to think.

Question:If SF is so terrible, how can it still be among the 10 most livable cities and still ranks 1st as far as desirability?

Answer: SF is nowhere near as terrible as Fox's smear campaign suggests.

Old 08-21-2019, 08:08 PM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
From the opening FOX introduction:
Quote:
In the summer of 2019, Fox News embarked on an ambitious project to chronicle the toll progressive policies have had on the homeless crisis in four West Coast cities:
I mean really ... lmmfao ... they aren’t even slightly bashful about their intent to bash the evil progressives.

There are many legitimate observations made about this very real crisis. But the intent is clearly stated as a political hit job. And the result is a hyperbolic presentation. This isn’t legitimate journalism.

Old 08-21-2019, 08:56 PM

353 posts, read 414,210 times
I really found this video bashing Democrats. I live in a red area and there are homeless people. Largest segment of homelessness is in San Diego, which is a Conservative red area. The film indicated it is the Democratic Mayors that cause the problem of the homeless. To be honest, our society is stumped what to do with these people. 80 percent of the homeless people are mentally ill and/or are on drugs and alcohol and that is a given because if one suffers from mental illness they will self medicate. Our nation use to house the people who were mentally ill and take care of them but now we just put them out in the streets, it is awful. So the rich become richer and the poor became poorer and so there goes the middle class. There is solution to the homeless situation but no one wants to hear about it. And the hundreds of millions of dollars that is spent does not show it, it is not getting the people off of the streets.

Old 08-21-2019, 11:09 PM

1,336 posts, read 926,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
From the opening FOX introduction:

I mean really ... lmmfao ... they aren’t even slightly bashful about their intent to bash the evil progressives.

There are many legitimate observations made about this very real crisis. But the intent is clearly stated as a political hit job. And the result is a hyperbolic presentation. This isn’t legitimate journalism.
Well they ain't conservative policies even present in the state, at any level, anywhere in these cities.

Only progressive policies and specific legislation from progressive majority.

We can debate the causal arguments all we want, but the rise of progressive pol's and the rise in homeless are perfectly correlated.

Old 08-21-2019, 11:37 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,177,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granite60 View Post
I really found this video bashing Democrats. I live in a red area and there are homeless people. Largest segment of homelessness is in San Diego, which is a Conservative red area. The film indicated it is the Democratic Mayors that cause the problem of the homeless. To be honest, our society is stumped what to do with these people. 80 percent of the homeless people are mentally ill and/or are on drugs and alcohol and that is a given because if one suffers from mental illness they will self medicate. Our nation use to house the people who were mentally ill and take care of them but now we just put them out in the streets, it is awful. So the rich become richer and the poor became poorer and so there goes the middle class. There is solution to the homeless situation but no one wants to hear about it. And the hundreds of millions of dollars that is spent does not show it, it is not getting the people off of the streets.
If you think the largest homeless pop is SD you need to visit LA. LA will blow your mind and it’s solid blue. Sd is one of the few cities that’s doing good things like erecting large tents as shelters for them. L A won’t do that because they’re in the developers pockets.

Old 08-22-2019, 06:22 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
The homeless problem is simple to solve. If they are breaking drug laws, arrest them and put them in jail. If they are harming themselves, involuntary confinement in a mental institution. If neither of the others is true, make a law that they cant set up a tent in public park or roadway/vagrancy laws etc. Our parks here in midwest typically close at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland