Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 08:56 PM

224 posts, read 454,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legal_eagle View Post
I've generally been a liberal throughout my adult life, but the latest requirement that merchants in San Francisco charge people for paper bags is ridiculous. In response to this dumb law, I am going to drive to South San Francisco whenever possible to shop, thereby increasing pollution. I am also going to be increasing my online purchases, since I won't be jerked around about niggling charges, and my purchase will be delivered right to my doorstep. Of course, that will consume energy and cause pollution, and my order will be still be in a (free) box or bag. The law of unintended consequences strikes again!

Does anyone else think the Nanny-state mentality has gone too far?
Not sure if you're serious, but I just think it's kind of annoying. It's only 10 cents a bag though, so I don't care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 08:58 PM

58 posts, read 209,334 times
It's a great idea and should be implemented everywhere. Buy a Chico bag that can be folded up very compact so you can take it with you all the time. By the way, they started doing this in Santa Monica recently as well.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:17 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,411,374 times
All because drunks, thugs, and non assimilated third worlders were throwing away perfectly good plastic bags. I never let one go to waste. Oh, but to be cool ya needs ta trow da empty 40 out da window in da bag. Cool!

Old 10-18-2012, 10:09 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,270,321 times
You can also take some old t shirts, cut off the sleeves but leave the seams! Take a dinner plate and mark a bigger hole around the the collars and cut off the collars and sew the bottoms shut.

Washable free bags.

We don't have to use them here in Oakland, but I do....

Old 10-18-2012, 10:14 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
I don't understan what the problem is. I generally bring a bag all the time. Even when I don't plan to do any shopping. I have a whole ton of bags in my car purse sized bags etc. You save on clutter at home, and the "free" bags they give you now are hardly sturdy enough to even walk to the car. Forget about surviving a muni ride.

FYI: City Target has some really good better than chico reusable bags. They are thicker, bigger and have comfier handles. I highly recommend picking them up. I haven't seen them at any other Target. They were $5 and hold up to 25#.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:42 PM

506 posts, read 1,154,897 times
Actually, when I heard about the plastic bag ban passing in LA several months back, I felt cheated because we were still using plastic bags here. I didn't realize a ban had passed but it hadn't gone into effect yet.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:47 PM

179 posts, read 412,209 times
Its not so much the extra cost or hassal. But the simple fact we have a nanny government saying we have too. That is making people like me mad as hell. Its one thing to have an anti-litter law. Which would also clean up the mess. (I think a $200 fine for throwing a bag or other litter would be more of a deterrent than forcing everyone to pay an extra ten cents per bag.) Its another thing to force everyone to pay ten cents or carry extra bags with them.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:08 AM

21,549 posts, read 8,729,914 times
It's a non-issue for me because I have been bringing my own reusable nylon bags for years. I use the ones made by Envirosax, which are sold in bookstores and on line. I actually like Envirosax better than paper or plastic because they have good sturdy handles, and they hold a lot of stuff. They're washable and they come in attractive designs, too. These bags can easily be rolled up and carried in a purse or pocket. I also save large department store bags to reuse for bulky purchases, and I keep a stash of paper grocery bags in the trunk of the car.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:52 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,848,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlyoung123 View Post
But the simple fact we have a nanny government saying we have too. That is making people like me mad as hell.
The ongoing thrust to maintain illogical, unreasonable ideological purity is why so many choose to continuously look for something to complain about. Reducing plastic bag waste everywhere (these things do get friggn' everywhere), reducing landfill use, and reducing the need to create more petroleum-based products are good things.
These are the kinds of things enlightened societies that actually evolve do. The ones full of people hopelessly wed to the past and therefore doomed to repeat it's mistakes, don't. If bringing a bag to the grocery store represents the height of personal disruption, it's time to move to the Unmerry Land of Perpetually Angry Type-A Agitators.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:35 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,549,067 times
If you prefer the markets in SSF or Daly City, then by all means, shop there. No one is stopping you. & I do enjoy Kukje much better than Woo Ri or First Korean, anyway.

If you're just driving to SSF or Daly City to spite the bag charge, seems counterproductive but no one is stopping you either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland