Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 03:59 PM

3,472 posts, read 5,265,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornandraisedSD View Post
Yes. The bugs I'm reporting are actually crane flies, not mosquitos. Thank goodness.

Anyone have any idea why there's so much of them in San Diego recently?
Same thing happened two years ago. Anytime we have a heavier rainy season, they come out in droves for a few weeks and then die off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2019, 02:55 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,576,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaroldinSanDiego View Post
I bought Cutter Backyard Spray from Home Depot after watching a Youtube video on it. I haven't seen one of those crane flies since then (two weeks so far). I too thought they were mosquitos.
The biggest mosquitoes we've ever seen were on the Texas gulf coast. In fact, I proposed in a local newspaper editorial they rename Port Aransas to Port Mosquito back in the 80s.

You can still buy a decent condo in Port Aransas for about $100k. For good reasons.

Crane flies are harmless and about 5X the size of even the biggest of mosquitoes.

Old 04-08-2019, 10:47 AM

6,506 posts, read 7,538,629 times
My personal experience with Texas mosquitoes is that I prefer the big fat ones over the smaller ones, even though the bigger ones can suck blood through clothing, they are slower and easier to see/swat than the smaller ones.

With the little guys, you never can tell which one bit you before they fly off.

Yesterday as the sun was going down, I could clearly see the large number of bugs flying around in the air, it truly is unusual for SD. I guess with everyone cutting grass and weed whacking the last two weeks they have no where to hide.

Old 09-26-2022, 11:28 PM

For the last three summers the mosquitos have been really bad in my area around this time of year, it's not just my house but my neighbors as well. These itchy pests didn't used to be a problem but they've gotten so bad in the hot months that I got rid of my French doors this year for sliding glass door with screen because we just can't have our doors wide open any more like we did for the first 8 years of living here.

There is even a County of San Diego billboard on the main road near by advising residents to dump standing water to decrease the plague and it's been so dry around here, didn't hardly rain two weeks ago here in my hood.. Wondering if other neighborhoods are seeing an uptick in mosquitos?

Old 09-27-2022, 05:40 AM

6,893 posts, read 8,937,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
For the last three summers the mosquitos have been really bad in my area around this time of year, it's not just my house but my neighbors as well. These itchy pests didn't used to be a problem but they've gotten so bad in the hot months that I got rid of my French doors this year for sliding glass door with screen because we just can't have our doors wide open any more like we did for the first 8 years of living here.

There is even a County of San Diego billboard on the main road near by advising residents to dump standing water to decrease the plague and it's been so dry around here, didn't hardly rain two weeks ago here in my hood.. Wondering if other neighborhoods are seeing an uptick in mosquitos?
Yes worsening over the last 5 or so years versus none before that. Any suggested anti-mosquito devices that are not human toxic?

Old 09-27-2022, 06:44 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,576,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
Yes worsening over the last 5 or so years versus none before that. Any suggested anti-mosquito devices that are not human toxic?
Yes, our Dew Point is now 68 degrees. That's a Florida Dew Point. Not suitable for sleeping without AC. So I sleep on the patio with a firepit.

Dew Point is my kryptonite. Sure hope the Dew Point is much lower in October.

Old 09-27-2022, 09:35 AM

50,308 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post

Oh ya, even near the beach. The big ones and the new lil ones. It sucks! We used to hang out with the hammock and now we can't. For 30 years we barely had any and now they are pretty bad. They even get into the house. The lil ones bite all day long too.

Old 09-27-2022, 09:05 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,847,363 times
Is the County Vector Control, sleeping on the job? I've noticed a few around here, too.

Luckily, not many, tho.

Spider count seems lower than normal, too.

Anyone noticed a reduction in tarantulas on Palomar lately? I can remember zillions of them, getting the last bit of warmth on the asphalt in the afternoons.

Pro tip: Do NOT bring a live tarantula home in your glove box. They get kinda "testy" when you open the glove box door, after the 45 minute ride home. Who knew they could move/jump so fast...

Old 09-27-2022, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Anyone noticed a reduction in tarantulas on Palomar lately? I can remember zillions of them, getting the last bit of warmth on the asphalt in the afternoons.
We had tarantulas here in Lakeside in 2014 and 2015 summers. I remember I found three in my home in 2015. I haven't seen them in a long time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Oh ya, even near the beach. The big ones and the new lil ones. It sucks! We used to hang out with the hammock and now we can't. For 30 years we barely had any and now they are pretty bad. They even get into the house. The lil ones bite all day long too.
Yup, I avoid opening up my garage door during the day because of the heat and in the evening because of the mosquitos. Somehow many still get inside, I even set up bug lights in the garage and house to zap them.

Old 09-28-2022, 10:14 AM

5,743 posts, read 4,701,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
Yes, our Dew Point is now 68 degrees. That's a Florida Dew Point. Not suitable for sleeping without AC. So I sleep on the patio with a firepit.

Dew Point is my kryptonite. Sure hope the Dew Point is much lower in October.
It's really foggy today, but wow, does it feel humid. The floors are sticky in my house.

Not digging this humidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego