Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2023, 06:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,024 times

Advertisements

February 2023. San Marcos Ca. Right around the college. Wow. I'm sorry you all were hearing/feeling this too, but I'm glad I'm not alone. Hopefully, the noise is gone for you.
I noticed this noise a couple of years ago. My husband doesn't hear it ,and I chose not to draw his attention to it as I don't want his life as miserable as mine with the noise. My daughter, who has super hearing, can barely perceive it, although she can accurately describe the sound when I ask her to listen. She can't believe that sound is bugging me.
I do have tinnitus. This sound is not at all like tinnitus. It is a deep drone. It vibrates through the body as if you were standing on top of a speaker playing bass and drums. It is very loud to me, especially when I lay my head sideways on my pillow. I have a split California king foam mattress and a foam pillow. I can't hear or feel it when my husband moves or gets out of bed. Yet, I hear the noise. I feel the noise. Deep, rumbling, pulsating droning.
The last few months it has gotten worse. At least to me. It is not just at night. In the day it is masked by traffic and other city noises but it is there. It wakes me with headaches especially around 3:30 and 4am. These headaches are quite bad. They come on fast and with every pulse the pain increases. If I try to walk around with the headache and the droning noise, hammering and vibrating my head, I can lose my balance.
I thought it might be the traffic from the freeway echoing off the hill but that doesn't seem the case. Also, I explored the possibility that it could be a neighbors air conditioning but it isnt that. It does seem to me to be machinery that is underground.
I can't explain why I seem to be really susceptible and sensitive to the noise while others barely notice it. It is hurting me and driving me crazy. Please post if you have found the source or KNOW what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2023, 10:09 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,448,585 times
Old thread, but whatever.... Not saying this is people's imagination but maybe read this.

Old 02-01-2023, 03:34 PM

50,247 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Old thread, but whatever.... Not saying this is people's imagination but maybe read this.
midshipmen lol

Old 02-03-2023, 03:29 PM

3,070 posts, read 1,739,216 times
They've been doing military drills the past few days, maybe that's what you heard?

Old 02-06-2023, 04:44 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,929,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCali View Post
I can't be the only one to hear this. I'm in San Marcos, in North San Diego County. Every few days, late at night (starting sometime between 11pm-1am and sometimes going for several hours straight), a droning, buzzing sound appears. It's difficult to pinpoint the direction it's coming from. I live in the Lake San Marcos communities and with the twisting roads and the mountains directly behind us, sound tends to echo and reverberate. It seems distant and yet the buzzing/vibrating can almost be felt some nights. It sounds like a cross between a loud (but distant) propeller plane, a train slowly crossing tracks and some kind of industrial drilling. It has a definite and fairly consistent "pulse" of the sound reverberating which suggests to me it's something industrial on a regular timer/rhythm as opposed to something random.

So, firstly, anyone else in North San Diego County hearing this? Any theories as to what it might be? Something from Camp Pendleton? Some night-time construction? I'm sure you can tell from my post, but for the benefit of those who may read this years later, I'm posting this in May of 2016.
Probably a Chinese spy balloon, or drone.

Old 02-12-2023, 07:51 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,787,563 times
Yep, I hear it too. I'm in Carlsbad, near S Melrose on border of San Marcos. I hear it most nights, some louder than others. Sometimes I don't hear it for a few days and hope it never comes back...but then it does. I am pretty close to an underground gas pipeline and wondering if it might be that. I've asked neighbors and they don't hear it; nor does my family. I read that 10% of people can hear these low tones (what Jami San describes above is what I hear too, very low hum that is intermittent - it starts and stops, low bass like when a car playing low music with windows closed is next to you.

Would love any insights and wondering who else is hearing this. If anyone wants to meet to discuss, perhaps the Starbucks on Melrose in Vista is near most of us, LOL!

Last edited by snuffybear; 02-12-2023 at 08:03 PM..

Old 09-15-2023, 06:52 AM

1 posts, read 456 times
I have been waking up at about 3-4 for the past few months. I can sit and listen to the humming. I can only describe it as a machine working. I can actually hear it bog down like it's working harder. It sounds like the trash truck on trash day but really far away. I'm in San Marcos Vista. I'm curious if it's he rock quarry near old twin oaks. I would not think they would be digging at this time. Or underground mining??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego