Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 09:40 AM

39 posts, read 59,898 times

Advertisements

Hmmm, . . . and the plot thickens. . . loving your very colorful description .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 09:42 AM

8,391 posts, read 7,652,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCali View Post
So the droning sound was back tonight. Decided to walk outside and investigate. I walked in what I thought was the general direction of the sound and that took me directly to the lake (Lake San Marcos). I'm not sure if the sound is coming from something directly on/in the lake or from a home that sits along the lake's edge. Whatever it is, it got quite loud as I got closer to the lake. No way it's some single home's pool pump. So, that's out. Getting closer to the source tonight, I would liken the sound to that of a large and deep symphony orchestra string section - sort of like the Jaws "duhhhn-nuhhhh-duhhhh-nuhhhh" theme, but deeper and slower. Like just the cellos and bass. Weird as hell. Wonder what on earth it is.

It sounds a bit like the first 4 secs of the Jaws theme as heard here. But, that sound mixed with, say, the sound of a creaking wooden boat dock. But it seems too loud and resonant and to cause too strong a vibration to literally be just a creaking wooden boat dock.

EDITED TO ADD:
For additional context, from inside my house it sounds like when you pull up to someone in traffic who's listening to music really loudly with the bass turned up, but has their windows up all the way so you mostly hear/feel the vibration of the bass. There is some weird **** going on here.
Lake San Marcos is a man made lake. I know that over the years there has been a lot of discussion about the lake's pollution levels.

So, do they use some sort of filtration/aeration system to keep the water cleaner? Do they have pumps that release water over the dam at certain times?

Since you're hearing the noise get louder by the lake, my hunch is that one or both may be your answer.

Last edited by RosieSD; 05-20-2016 at 10:17 AM..

Old 05-20-2016, 10:34 AM

2,160 posts, read 5,855,027 times
Based on your additional info, it's gotta be a water pump of some sort. I know it's driving you nuts, but it sounds like you might be able to pinpoint it with a little more investigation.
Is it at least in key? Maybe you could play along. haha

Old 05-20-2016, 01:32 PM

I found this notice on the Valletis Water District website -- I've put the relevant sections in bold:

Sewer spill information
Post Date:04/27/2016 10:22 AM

Vallecitos recently experienced an overflow of approximately 40,000 to 60,000 gallons of wastewater that spilled out of a pressurized sewer pipe (force main) located in front of Vallecitos’ sewer lift station in Lake San Marcos. The cause of the spill was due to the failure of the bonnet, or top of a 12 inch valve that was on the discharge side of the pumps out in the street.

Cleanup and recovery is currently in progress with six pumping trucks on-site to remove as much of the wastewater as possible. The valve is in the process of being repaired.

Vallecitos Water District : Current and Archived News

So, the Lake does have a sewer pumping station, and due to the spill, they have also been supplementing that pumping station with additional pumping machinery.

The sewer pumping station is most likely the noise you hear late at night; the sounds probably have been more noticeable recently due to the extra pumping trucks dealing with the spill.

Mystery solved.

Last edited by RosieSD; 05-20-2016 at 01:46 PM..

Old 05-20-2016, 03:01 PM

38 posts, read 48,911 times
Also, aliens.

Old 05-20-2016, 03:38 PM

39 posts, read 59,898 times
Oh wow. . . that's a bummer. . . but at least mystery solved. . .

Old 05-20-2016, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCountySDGal View Post
Oh wow. . . that's a bummer. . . but at least mystery solved. . .
Yes, a bummer. But the water quality in Lake San Marcos has been an issue for many years. Nice to look at the water, but I wouldn't swim in it.

Old 01-08-2017, 02:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,569 times
Oh my goodness. Finally someone else hears that noise as well? I hear it too! I live by Lake San Marcos and off and on all day I hear it. It's worse at night due to it being more quiet.

It sounds like a freight train in the distance. Low, humming droning. Variable in length. Frequency doesn't change just duration. Pinpointing the location is difficult.

I ask my friends and family and no one else hears it. I think it is more of a vibration than a sound. So maybe only some people can hear it. I have some hearing disability from the Navy and am more sensitive to low frequency hums and vibrations. It's January 2017 at 1:32pm and I can hear it.

Any updates on what it might be?

Thanks
Brian

Old 10-31-2018, 04:33 PM

6 posts, read 12,571 times
Default I've also experienced this hum when living in Coronado, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCali View Post
So the droning sound was back tonight. Decided to walk outside and investigate. I walked in what I thought was the general direction of the sound and that took me directly to the lake (Lake San Marcos). I'm not sure if the sound is coming from something directly on/in the lake or from a home that sits along the lake's edge. Whatever it is, it got quite loud as I got closer to the lake. No way it's some single home's pool pump. So, that's out. Getting closer to the source tonight, I would liken the sound to that of a large and deep symphony orchestra string section - sort of like the Jaws "duhhhn-nuhhhh-duhhhh-nuhhhh" theme, but deeper and slower. Like just the cellos and bass. Weird as hell. Wonder what on earth it is.

It sounds a bit like the first 4 secs of the Jaws theme as heard here. But, that sound mixed with, say, the sound of a creaking wooden boat dock. But it seems too loud and resonant and to cause too strong a vibration to literally be just a creaking wooden boat dock.

EDITED TO ADD:
For additional context, from inside my house it sounds like when you pull up to someone in traffic who's listening to music really loudly with the bass turned up, but has their windows up all the way so you mostly hear/feel the vibration of the bass. There is some weird **** going on here.
I just came across this thread. Have you been able to figure out the source of the hum? Was it Vallecitos? I lived in Coronado CA for a year and a half until Dec 2016. I lived in an apartment complex, and complained of just such a low frequency hum which became one of the reasons I left there. No one was sympathetic to my concern, and I was paying much too much money to be living with such a distracting and bothersome noise which sometimes even made me feel ill. I was almost constantly aware of it.
I was just watching a BBC Earth Lab program which was quite validating. People around the world hear this hum without definitive explanation. Here's the link: https://youtu.be/QpeKot2X_O8
Please let me know if you found the source.

Old 10-31-2018, 04:39 PM

6 posts, read 12,571 times
And then, there's this article. I was scrolling through the google search, and it looked interesting: "The source of the mysterious 'ocean buzzing' may have finally been discovered." https://aol.it/2P3fwNO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego