Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 01:15 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,579,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
maybe less than 30 min
during rush hour? Man that's pretty good
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 01:24 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,940,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUAlum08 View Post
during rush hour? Man that's pretty good
SD is so not LA, NY, BO, DC in the rush hour traffic category.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:26 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,579,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
SD is so not LA, NY, BO, DC in the rush hour traffic category.
yea 20 miles in DC is normally at least 40-45 minutes on a good day, 50-55 mins on an average day, and 1+ hour on a bad day

Old 12-06-2012, 03:08 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,770,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
I think SD is more comparable to Italy..though I've never been there but that's what it sounds like.
I think Mediterranean Coast of Italy is somewhat similar but varied throughout the coastline as it either gets more humid or wet than SD.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:57 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,273,509 times
I liked San Diego along with other places I've lived; only regret was not buying any property back then.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:43 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,976,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUAlum08 View Post
yea 20 miles in DC is normally at least 40-45 minutes on a good day, 50-55 mins on an average day, and 1+ hour on a bad day
It used to take about 20 minutes to go a whopping five miles from the Beltway to the DC Maryland border on Wisconsin Avenue.

I've heard it's much worse now due to the expansion of Navy Medical. Ugh. That was ridiculous, and I got used to it. Now it's worse?

Old 10-07-2022, 11:54 AM

246 posts, read 120,549 times
I cannot say much about San Diego , except that it is a great improvement from the way it was a few decades ago. Today I can say it is a fun , energetic place to visit.
I have lived my life in a few dif places . I love where I grew up in So Cal. but it became too crowded for my taste. Too many people. Plus life in nature is healthier than living with , concrete, asphalt, metal , plastic, too much traffic everywhere and having nature be the local park just doesn't cut it for me. So in answer to your question where would I go, I did go , I kept my cali home and moved to a small town right in the middle of the best of nature. It has since become too crowded. Even though so far it is a true paradise in everyway, and is still more to my liking than any other place on earth. (except my too crowded home) I am now looking for a new place in nature. Without too many people. When I find it , I won't be telling anyone how great it is. I hope you love your new life , you will have the Ocean and that is a beautiful life.

Old 10-07-2022, 01:59 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,940,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Play_Poker View Post
I cannot say much about San Diego , except that it is a great improvement from the way it was a few decades ago. Today I can say it is a fun , energetic place to visit.
I have lived my life in a few dif places . I love where I grew up in So Cal. but it became too crowded for my taste. Too many people. Plus life in nature is healthier than living with , concrete, asphalt, metal , plastic, too much traffic everywhere and having nature be the local park just doesn't cut it for me. So in answer to your question where would I go, I did go , I kept my cali home and moved to a small town right in the middle of the best of nature. It has since become too crowded. Even though so far it is a true paradise in everyway, and is still more to my liking than any other place on earth. (except my too crowded home) I am now looking for a new place in nature. Without too many people. When I find it , I won't be telling anyone how great it is. I hope you love your new life , you will have the Ocean and that is a beautiful life.
Where is the place you are now moving again from and why, Mr. Pokerface?

Old 11-10-2022, 06:55 PM

1,118 posts, read 1,134,607 times
After pretty much a lifetime of visiting San Diego, starting way back in the 1950s as a child, and continuing all through my childhood, and teens, then living in San Diego while attending and graduating from SDSU, we finally moved here on our retirement. It took a long time, and we'd wanted to relocate here for many, many years, but work and life just got in the way. We came from the San Gabriel Valley (suburb of Los Angeles), and were sick of traffic nonstop, triple digit summer weather, smog and just crowds. I had grown up in Palm springs and was tired of really hot summers too. San Diego was what we wanted, and we'd come here every summer for 10 years, a week in June, and a week in August, plus assorted weekends during the year. I am so glad we are here. Best decision we've ever made. Been here 11 years now.

Old 11-29-2022, 09:36 AM

256 posts, read 736,635 times
I moved here from the Midwest in 1977. I left SD and moved back to SD 3 times. The reason I came back was for personal property that I still owned in the area. My only regret for moving from my hometown is missing family and life long friends. I have met many people here over the years...great wonderful friends. But, most have moved away. There is a different relationship mindset in So. Cal. compared to other parts of the U.S. For years I have been wanting to move and for various reasons, I have been unable to leave.
On the other hand, San Diego has so very much to offer. It's beautiful and I made more money here in real estate than I would have in other places.
My bonus daughter grew up and lived here for 35 years. She moved 2 years ago with her family to Cape Cod. We thought she wouldn't last 2 months. On her first visit home, we asked her if she missed SD and was coming back. Her reply was that she saw SD with different eyes. To her it looked dry and brown and she called it an upscale Tijuana. If I was a betting person, I certainly would have lost that bet. We were shocked!! And she loves the seasons and snow!!
I truly believe we are like animals and thrive in our own special habitats. What is wonderful for one person, is not for someone else.

Last edited by Kasey77; 11-29-2022 at 09:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego