Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2024, 02:05 PM

6,497 posts, read 7,525,332 times

Advertisements

https://twitter.com/ExpressNews/stat...7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Express news reports this as "Likely site for new San Antonio Spurs arena set to be sold or leased to the city." My personal opinion is this a great move for both the Spurs and the museum if it all comes to fruition. The Institute of Texan Cultures and its parking lot occupies so much prime real estate in downtown and it is one of those places that people visit once and never return to. Also, as close as it is to the rest of downtown, it's always felt closed off to pedestrian traffic because of the huge surrounding parking lots and fences unlike the Tower of the Americas and the Convention Centers which feel better connected. Moving it closer to the Alamo would likely mean higher attendance at the museum since there is so much more tourist foot traffic in that part of downtown.

Last edited by malcorub16; 02-22-2024 at 02:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2024, 04:51 PM

Old 02-22-2024, 08:09 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times
So....what are they going to do with the OTHER two "Homes" previously built (with taxpayer dollars, of course) by the generous City of SA? Ongoing "convention" rental facilities?

Henry sure got a lot of mileage outta his "bucket of chicken".

Old 02-22-2024, 10:00 PM

1,032 posts, read 874,442 times
I just want to see the breakdown of HOW this is paid for.

This city could use a lot of other things first before spending billions on yet another arena.

Old 02-23-2024, 09:50 AM

Oklahoma City just approved a 72 month (6 year) one cent sales tax to pay for their future new downtown arena.
$900 million dollars in tax funds from the city and only $50 million from the basketball franchise OKC Thunder which will be the main tenant. This is a laughable 5% contribution from the team. Their current downtown arena is a year older than Frost Center so about 22 years old.

https://www.koco.com/article/oklahom...-fair/45433449

https://www.okc.gov/Home/Components/News/News/4658/140

The bad part of being in small markets is teams won't foot most of the bill for new arenas/stadiums like the Warriors did in San Francisco or the Clippers are currently doing in Los Angeles. Even in small market Sacramento, the Kings paid for 45% of their new arena being that using public funds for stadiums is frowned upon in this part of the country.

The Dallas Mavericks are also looking to move out of their 23 year old downtown American Airlines Arena soon. I am curious to see how a bigger Texas market like DFW handles paying for a new arena.

The Toyota Center in downtown Houston , home of the Rockets, is one NBA season younger than our Frost Center and opened in 2003. Not sure if there are talks in that city for a new arena.

Old 02-23-2024, 10:29 PM

And I'm sure we'll be regaled with the prospects of a "massive economic generator" for the proposed site....just as we were for the site of the present arena 20+ years ago...

Still waiting.

Old 02-24-2024, 11:40 AM

1,032 posts, read 874,442 times
It's kinda sad how local government can keep fooling citizens with the same empty promises.

Old 02-25-2024, 06:29 PM

6,705 posts, read 8,771,270 times
I guess I am the outsider when I say this but I think it is a shame to tear down the hemisfair era building for another building that will just become another ugly convention center 20 years after it is built.

Old 02-25-2024, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
I guess I am the outsider when I say this but I think it is a shame to tear down the hemisfair era building for another building that will just become another ugly convention center 20 years after it is built.
Not at all - anyone that pays attention KNOWS it's just another big money project by the city and the CC. They've never met a money-wasting project they didn't want.

Old 02-25-2024, 07:02 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,228,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
If built, it would be the fourth home for the Spurs since they moved to SA in 1973.

They started out in the Hemisfair arena, which was later expanded by raising the roof and adding seating. Then they moved to the Alamodome, after the hoped-for NFL franchise didn't materialize. An exterior brick facade collapsed on the arena, and the city decided better to demolish the now-underutilized facility, than repair. During the demolition phase, the Spurs came forward and announced that the Alamodome wasn't working for them, and they would need a new facility in order to remain a viable operation in San Antonio. So, we got the AT&T (now Frost Bank) Center. So now I guess the Frost Bank Center is getting a little long in the tooth, so they are seeking a new venue.

One thing I can tell you from past experience with the Spurs playing downtown, was that those seeking to visit other events or businesses downtown before or during games, might find parking virtually non-existent, even at "Event Pricing".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio