Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2023, 05:06 PM

9 posts, read 18,551 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! Getting closer to our move to the great state of Texas! I own a lot and want to build a small home for my wife and I in a couple of years. The lot is in the outskirts of New Braunfels, but there is no city water available. I got one quote from a driller and I almost fainted at the cost (around $70,000.00). Now this included pump, storage, piping, ect., but still seems very high. Has anyone recently drilled a well and could share cost and equipment included? Any recommendations for well drilling companies? Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2023, 08:38 PM

3,078 posts, read 8,426,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedRacer67 View Post
Hey everyone! Getting closer to our move to the great state of Texas! I own a lot and want to build a small home for my wife and I in a couple of years. The lot is in the outskirts of New Braunfels, but there is no city water available. I got one quote from a driller and I almost fainted at the cost (around $70,000.00). Now this included pump, storage, piping, ect., but still seems very high. Has anyone recently drilled a well and could share cost and equipment included? Any recommendations for well drilling companies? Thanks.

Can't assist with your specific questions and I suspect there might not be a lot of recommendations coming forward. However since you are moving here this might assist with the process and information.

Water well drillers are licensed here in Texas by The Texas Department of Licensing And Regulation (TDLR) https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/wwd/wwd.htm . On their site they do have a driller search function that can at least help locate drillers.

Water wells themselves are regulated by the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ). The grounder water and wells main page is located here https://www.tceq.texas.gov/groundwater . There is a whole lot of useful information there including a mapping system where you can view drilled wells in your area of interest as well as groundwater pollution issues as well. The drilled well information of most importance at this point (although all the info is important) are well depths drilled to for wells. A large part of the cost is the depth that has to be drilled to for usable water. It also tells you who (what company) drilled the well.

What I would recommend is to use the mapping system to obtain an idea of the possible depths you might have to drill to. You can use the TDLR to locate drillers and inquire as to their cost per foot for drilling exclusive of the well head equipment. You can also ask what they charge for installing all the well head equipment as well. The equipment can vary in price but can be factored in after you see who is charging what for depths needed.

Another consideration is what else is being drilled for in your area? There are many oil and gas operations around Texas and your area is no different. As a result there are also numerous pipelines and facilities criss-crossing the State. The Texas Railroad Commission maintains a mapping system to see where the oil and gas pipelines are located. These will have right of ways you may not be able to drill on/near. The mapping system can be found here https://www.rrc.texas.gov/resource-center/ . There is also information on oil and gas well drilling locations and other valuable information. These operations are highly regulated but may also have an affect on local water sources.

Good luck and let us know how it works out!

Old 11-28-2023, 07:37 AM

11,863 posts, read 26,903,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedRacer67 View Post
I got one quote from a driller and I almost fainted at the cost (around $70,000.00). Now this included pump, storage, piping, ect., but still seems very high. Has anyone recently drilled a well and could share cost and equipment included?
I can't comment on particular well drillers in that area, but I can tell you that two large contributors to the cost of drilling a well are the depth of the water table to be reached, and the type of soil/rock that the well has to be drilled through to reach the water. The Hill Country is well-known for having rocky soil with exposed limestone, so the well has to be drilled though all of that, and there may even be some blasting involved to get through the limestone. I am assuming that is why the cost is so high.

Old 11-28-2023, 08:34 PM

15,470 posts, read 7,522,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
I can't comment on particular well drillers in that area, but I can tell you that two large contributors to the cost of drilling a well are the depth of the water table to be reached, and the type of soil/rock that the well has to be drilled through to reach the water. The Hill Country is well-known for having rocky soil with exposed limestone, so the well has to be drilled though all of that, and there may even be some blasting involved to get through the limestone. I am assuming that is why the cost is so high.
No blasting is required to drill a water well. Costs go up when harder rock is encountered because the drilling is slower and the drill bits are far more expensive.

Old 04-27-2024, 12:04 AM

9 posts, read 18,551 times
Any suggestions for well drillers? I was told we would need to drill 600+ feet.

Thanks,

SpeedRacer67

Old 04-27-2024, 11:15 PM

579 posts, read 1,228,804 times
Kutscher Drilling (San Marcos) has been drilling tons of wells for many years.
Wiley Well Drilling (Wimberley) is also good.
HW Schwope (Boerne) has many years of experience.
Central Texas Drilling (Dripping Springs) is another good choice.

It has been about 5 years since I’ve seen a quote to drill a well in the area, but in 2019 it was about $18k to drill and equip a 500ft well in central Texas. I’m sure it’s gone up since then but $70k seems high. No matter what, shop around a get 3-4 quotes. You may not go with the lowest bid but you’ll find the right person for the job. Also recommend installing a pump saver which will prevent your pump from burning up if the water level ever drops below the pump.

Old Today, 01:59 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,354,787 times
From Google:

How much does it cost to have a water well drilled in Texas?

Consult with a professional well driller. Drilling a residential water well costs $25 to $65 per foot or $3,750 to $15,300 on average for a complete system and installation. Prices include the drilling, a pump, casing, wiring, and more. Total costs largely depend on the depth drilled and the well's diameter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio