Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2022, 11:32 AM

6,498 posts, read 7,527,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRoadkill View Post
When is this going to happen?

SA needs a choice!
There are billboards all over town now, I think it's up and running. Keep in mind this will be delivery only as far as I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2022, 12:11 PM

6,705 posts, read 8,772,433 times
I signed up for the app and browsed some. I see a lot of stuff that HEB doesn't carry or stopped carrying in the past. Nice to have some more options in town and let HEB know they aren't the only ones in town. Maybe it will get HEB to carry more products that isn't stamped with their own name.

Old 08-20-2022, 09:07 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,828,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
Nice to have some more options in town and let HEB know they aren't the only ones in town. Maybe it will get HEB to carry more products that isn't stamped with their own name.
At one time, I knew who the producers were for all the various private-labeled HCF products HEB had, and you'd be surprised at how many were the big national name-brand companies. They cost out their products based on ALL costs - including advertising, so their off-label products were cheaper for HEB to buy and private label. You'd be shocked (as I was) at the advertising overhead of these companies.
Like you, I'm interested to see what HEB's reaction will be - and I doubt it will take long. If they see any significant inroads into their market share, you can bet they'll be hammering back with both barrels - and I honestly wouldn't be surprised to find out that HEB already has a fleet of delivery vehicles in production. You can pretty well bet that HEB knew about their plans within weeks of it being finalized, and they likely watched the Beta testing of their website as it was being developed...lol
I think the warehouse-to-home concept has a LOT of potential for retailers - just shrinkage loss from shoplifters alone will be really significant, and not having to do all the various things a retail location has to do is a major savings, so much of the higher overheads of order pickers (knowing HEB, they've already looked at automating that aspect), trucks and (most likely) a separate warehouse operation for much of the inventory will be offset.
COVID got us used to doing much of our ordering online, and we've continued it into the post-COVID times.... I honestly don't miss making my way through the aisles and then finding a register that was open, etc.

Old 08-20-2022, 09:23 AM

4,834 posts, read 3,262,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRoadkill View Post
When is this going to happen?

SA needs a choice!
Left Texas last spring, and the grocery of choice here is in the Kroger family. I don't think HEB has anything to worry about. I can't tell you how many times I've heard, "I miss HEB!"... but it's practically every week.

Old 08-20-2022, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
Left Texas last spring, and the grocery of choice here is in the Kroger family. I don't think HEB has anything to worry about. I can't tell you how many times I've heard, "I miss HEB!"... but it's practically every week.
It's human nature....folks always want what they can't have. So many of these "longed for" businesses have come here, and when I go in I'm like....."Yeah, NO." The good part is, those that like it can go there, and it's no skin off my back. The other stores DO carry a different product selection usually, so it IS good to have some alternatives.

Old 08-21-2022, 12:46 PM

6,705 posts, read 8,772,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
At one time, I knew who the producers were for all the various private-labeled HCF products HEB had, and you'd be surprised at how many were the big national name-brand companies.
I am aware that a lot of HCF products are from national brand companies but the difference isn't in just the packaging, the product itself isn't quite the same either. I think the cost cutting was not just in the packaging and advertising based off my personal opinion of product quality and taste differences.

Quote:
Like you, I'm interested to see what HEB's reaction will be - and I doubt it will take long. If they see any significant inroads into their market share, you can bet they'll be hammering back with both barrels - and I honestly wouldn't be surprised to find out that HEB already has a fleet of delivery vehicles in production.
I wouldn't be surprised to see HEB adapt quickly for sure. I just wish/hope they wouldn't drive out competition and once again leaving us with fewer options for national brands.

Quote:
COVID got us used to doing much of our ordering online, and we've continued it into the post-COVID times.... I honestly don't miss making my way through the aisles and then finding a register that was open, etc.
Covid sure did make ordering online more of a thing these days. I have not fully adapted to ordering everything online though. I save online ordering for what I cant find at HEB for the most part using Amazon Fresh Grocery.

Old 08-21-2022, 05:19 PM

Quote:
I am aware that a lot of HCF products are from national brand companies but the difference isn't in just the packaging, the product itself isn't quite the same either. I think the cost cutting was not just in the packaging and advertising based off my personal opinion of product quality and taste differences.
It varies pretty widely from one product line to another. There were some of their HCF products that I actually preferred over the national brand. HEB would typically request "tweaks" to the product based off their own market studies....some certainly missed the mark, lol!

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised to see HEB adapt quickly for sure. I just wish/hope they wouldn't drive out competition and once again leaving us with fewer options for national brands.
They don't "drive them out" - they meet them in the marketplace and WE (the consumer) drive them out. They need a certain market share in order to succeed - if they don't achieve that, they soon leave. Just had a good example of that in my own industry - a national equipment manufacturer decided to enter the retail market, presuming they'd show us independents "how it's done". It didn't end well for them....and now the poor folks that bought the stuff they were peddling are finding it VERY difficult to get them repaired, since the manufacturer made certain components proprietary, and when they left the market they completely discontinued that product line (to be fair, it was apparently designed by a team of people focused solely on maximizing profit on each unit, rather than good design. So, folks spent 3-5k on these things, and they don't work....nor will they. It's aggravating, but that's the new business model, it seems.

Old 08-22-2022, 11:19 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,045,913 times
Quote:
It varies pretty widely from one product line to another. There were some of their HCF products that I actually preferred over the national brand. HEB would typically request "tweaks" to the product based off their own market studies....some certainly missed the mark, lol!

They don't "drive them out" - they meet them in the marketplace and WE (the consumer) drive them out. They need a certain market share in order to succeed - if they don't achieve that, they soon leave. Just had a good example of that in my own industry - a national equipment manufacturer decided to enter the retail market, presuming they'd show us independents "how it's done". It didn't end well for them....and now the poor folks that bought the stuff they were peddling are finding it VERY difficult to get them repaired, since the manufacturer made certain components proprietary, and when they left the market they completely discontinued that product line (to be fair, it was apparently designed by a team of people focused solely on maximizing profit on each unit, rather than good design. So, folks spent 3-5k on these things, and they don't work....nor will they. It's aggravating, but that's the new business model, it seems.
This^^ Basic Economics 101. HEB is so deep rooted into central/southern Texas it's not even funny.

Old 08-22-2022, 12:30 PM

6,498 posts, read 7,527,078 times
I hear there are still a few Wal-Mart Neighborhood Markets hanging on in the SA area, but most of them have closed up shop.

Old 08-22-2022, 09:46 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,229,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
I hear there are still a few Wal-Mart Neighborhood Markets hanging on in the SA area, but most of them have closed up shop.
Yes, I believe there are still a half-dozen or so still in operation tin the San Antonio area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio