Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2022, 09:16 AM

1,032 posts, read 874,682 times

Advertisements

I'd love to see Publix here, but yes, I know that's a pipedream.

They would be proper regional competition for HEB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2022, 02:27 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,447,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultright View Post
Lots more people are buying their food at Target, Walmart, and Costco nowadays. Also people buy a lot of stuff from Amazon. Personally I think the Kroger store brands are the best.
I actually prefer Kroger's store brand better.

For example, Daisy sour cream is too watered down and doesn't have the sour taste. Daisy's cottage cheese is exclusively the small curd (prefer the large curds) and has more whey than curds. At Kroger, the sour cream has that thickness and actually has that sour tang. There are various curd sizes and milk fats of cottage cheese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr_resident View Post
H-E-B doesn't have a monopoly on San Antonio. WalMart is their biggest competition. I love my HEB but there are things I can only get at WalMart. Can't stand Giant, Kroger, Albertsons, Food Lion, and all those crappy stores. They are all like black and white TV compared to HEB being color.
Sounds more like an admission of S.A.'s backwardness. But Walmart is a good second source, such as 3 L bottles of Coke. With all the recent shortages/stock-outs, I've had to visit other stores besides Kroger.

After all my tries, the problem with H-E-B is the freshness and quality. Apparently the stores on my side of Houston don't have freezers that can freeze close to 0F. Tried Gino's Chicago pizza but it was a little off.

Recently made shredded beef and tried their hamburger patties, but H-E-B beef is horribly tough/dry--not tender/moist like Kroger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBaby View Post

Publix is what soured my Florida visit for me and dissuades any consideration to relocate to Florida (like H-E-B's monopoly on S.A. and Austin). They price like Whole Foods thanks to their monopoly on the entire state, but sell California produce that just arrived from their transcontinental journey starting to rot. They wouldn't do well in Houston or Texas!

Old 04-16-2022, 08:06 AM

282 posts, read 341,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBaby View Post

Interesting. Our best friends live about 45 miles east of Atlanta on Lake Oconee which is kind of out in the country. Their only viable grocery store is Publix. When they visit we’ve taken them to HEB and they rave about what a great grocery store it is compared to Publix. They particularly can’t get over the produce and meat departments but also like some of the specialty items HEB carries. There have been items they’ve tried here that they can’t get at Publix so we sometimes buy the items and ship them to them.

Old 05-23-2022, 12:52 PM

950 posts, read 1,258,536 times
Well Kroger's was here once before. They had one on Nacogdoches near O'Conner. Remember going to Kroger with my dad. As we we paying for the groceries, my dad mentioned picketing Krogers. I asked him what he was talking about. He said it was back in Milwaukee, (late 30s, early 40s, before WW2) and grandpa has president of the meat cutters union up there. Well there was a labor dispute between the union and the company. Kroger wouldn't budge, so your grandpa called a strike. Me and your Uncle Tom got paid to picket Krogers.

Old 05-24-2022, 12:48 PM

69 posts, read 95,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyk47 View Post
Interesting. Our best friends live about 45 miles east of Atlanta on Lake Oconee which is kind of out in the country. Their only viable grocery store is Publix. When they visit we’ve taken them to HEB and they rave about what a great grocery store it is compared to Publix. They particularly can’t get over the produce and meat departments but also like some of the specialty items HEB carries. There have been items they’ve tried here that they can’t get at Publix so we sometimes buy the items and ship them to them.
Yep. We go to Florida every year. Publix is nice, but I wouldn't rank it higher than HEB (unless you're talking about homemade deli sandwiches). The selection is generally less (especially compared to HEB's larger locations), and the prices are comparably higher. But Publix is one of the better stores out there.

Old 05-24-2022, 01:00 PM

6,498 posts, read 7,527,078 times
HEB stores are just so large and crowded which is one of the reasons why I preferred Albertson's back in the day (I was too young to shop at Kroger on my own when it was in SA but I do remember going there). Sure Albertson's was a little more expensive, but it was always easy to go in and pick up a few things and get out. It was a nice alternative to the madness that is HEB stores.

Today, my closest WalMart is actually much more convenient to get in and out of than the two HEB's near by. Especially now with the push for self check out.

Old 05-24-2022, 05:11 PM

3,257 posts, read 1,410,291 times
I think the benefit of having Kroger’s, regardless if one decides to buy groceries form them, is that it adds just a bit more competition for the existing companies in SA. Hopefully that might mean better pricing, more product choice, etc.for everyone regardless of where you shop.

Old 08-18-2022, 11:40 AM

858 posts, read 680,425 times
When is this going to happen?

SA needs a choice!

Old 08-18-2022, 02:16 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,230,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRoadkill View Post
When is this going to happen?

SA needs a choice!
Kroger is up and running in San Antonio for online ordering and delivery.

Old 08-18-2022, 05:02 PM

1,032 posts, read 874,682 times
Ordered from the Kroger app. Fast, cheaper than HEB on many things (including delivery fees) and quick.

I'll use again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio