Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2022, 10:49 AM

282 posts, read 341,516 times

Advertisements

We moved here from Northern Virginia in 2003 and were immediately shocked to see the lack of grocery store competition locally. In North Virginia we had numerous choices all within relatively short driving distances from our house. It didn’t take long, and it wasn’t like there were a lot of choices, to gravitate to HEB as our main grocery store. It actually was very easy and comfortable as HEB was a lot like the Giant chain we were used to. Will say that we were also thrilled at the lower local food prices and came to learn Northern Virginia is considered to be one of the more expensive markets in the US. At the time that area was running about 15% above the national average. Today we really don’t give shopping at HEB much thought. Some things they do quite well some maybe not so good. If we have any complaint it would be HEB seems to be pushing their private brands harder and harder. Maybe it’s pandemic and resulting production and transportation issues but it seems to us national brands are harder to come by right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2022, 10:56 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,467,480 times
HEB private brands are a shade lower than Kroger private brands,all these supermarkets including WMT have 2 private brands,one is dirt cheap and lousy,the other one matches name brand quality.
KR is more disciplined,items which do not sell well,they do not stock while HEB ,you can find some odd items you cant find anywhere else,but how long have they been sitting on the shelf?
KR gives you points,for 100 points,you can use it to fuel gas for 10 cents less,if you have the card,you earn points and get coupons,but then this is one reason KR prices are higher than HEB.
HEB is strictly TX,and has its own shrimp boats,so you get fresh gulf shrimp.
BTW,Central Market is also owned by same company.
KR also has gas stations,$3.599 /gallon, just yesterday

Old 03-06-2022, 02:05 PM

1,032 posts, read 874,682 times
HEB works well for SA, but competition is always a good thing. It makes both business stronger and benefits the consumer.

I do hope this leads to brick & mortar locations for Kroger.

And then Aldi

Old 03-06-2022, 02:07 PM

9,849 posts, read 13,690,768 times
The more i think about it, the more I think it's just a way to compete with Favor. Since H-E-B is headquartered in SA and Favor is in Austin, they'll hit both of the companies.

Old 03-06-2022, 03:06 PM

6,498 posts, read 7,527,078 times
I know Kroger owns other super market chains like Ralphs and Food 4 Less here in Southern California, also Fry's in Phoenix. I see their Kroger brands at these SoCal stores. I wonder if they own or at least supply another non Kroger branded chain in central and South Texas, like Lowes Market which operates mostly in rural towns that don't have an HEB.

Old 03-06-2022, 08:28 PM

52 posts, read 27,647 times
Lots more people are buying their food at Target, Walmart, and Costco nowadays. Also people buy a lot of stuff from Amazon. Personally I think the Kroger store brands are the best.

Old 03-07-2022, 11:49 AM

12,114 posts, read 14,996,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
What do you mean by HEB is "getting too big for their own business"? They sell the products people want, they build more stores, HEB has a loyal following....I don't understand your comment. I don't find HEB prices to be out of line.
I never said anything about their prices. Prices are what they are. I just said I would like to see some competition. Is there something wrong with competition anymore?

Old 03-08-2022, 05:08 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,001,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Would be interesting to see what would happen if Kroger opened up stores to compete with H-E-B. I know H-E-B ran them off a long time ago but I also know some people have complaints about H-E-B not stocking specific brands of items that they want.
I would welcome some competition.

Old 03-08-2022, 05:41 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,467,480 times
I shop both KR and HEB,HEB prices are lower,but some of their items are not the best quality.

Old 03-09-2022, 01:42 PM

6,705 posts, read 8,773,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
What do you mean by HEB is "getting too big for their own business"? They sell the products people want, they build more stores, HEB has a loyal following....I don't understand your comment. I don't find HEB prices to be out of line.
HEB removed a lot of products I liked and replaced it with their own "hill country fare" or whatever labels they use internally. A lot of it is cr*p and doesn't make me feel loyal. They do have good prices and function well as a store during difficult times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio