Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 11:00 AM

1 posts, read 853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGFISHER1884 View Post
Hi, my name is John (Hop) King and I was in a band called "Rocksand" in San Antonio way back when and we opened for "It's a Beautiful Day", "John Mayall", Quicksilver Messenger Service", and the "Grateful Dead". Of course no one thought of taking any pictures and I am desperately trying to find some. We were too busy to remember to get anyone to take any. If you know of any I will pay big bucks for them, especially if there are any of us. You can call me at 512-789-5404. I'll share a cute little stroy with you about that concert. The morning of the concert we all (Rocksand) went down to Hemisfair Arena to see the Dehi Sound System and all that was going on with the set-up. Most of the guys in Rocksand had been playing for years and years in other bands and I was a neophite and I'd never been inside Hemisfair Arena before and when we opened the door to the arena I just stopped there in awe and fear while the other guys in the band went up on stage and were talking to the set up crew. I was standing there thinking, "oh ****, what have I gotten myself into", when the door next to me opened and this pretty gal stepped through and when she saw me just standing there with my mouth open she said, "Why are you standing all the way back here by yourself for", and I wanted to say "Because I'm waiting for you", but I didn't, and then I told her my situation, that I was just used to playing small venues and she said, "Hell, don't worry about that, once you start playing it will be about 100 times more fun than anyplace you have ever played. About halfway through our first song I thought back about what she had said and realized that she was right, we finished out set and then "it's a Beautiful Day" came on and she was the lead singer. After that we got to play with "The Coasters", "Rene & Rene", "Blue Cheer", "The 13th Floor Elevators", "Sheva's Head Band" and I got to hang out with Jeff Beck, Carmine Appice, Tim Bogart, and "Spencer Davis" while I was really cruisin one night without knowing who they were for awhilwe and I was telling them all kinds of jokes and stuff and they were all laughing, and when I went to get another beer, a friend of mine came up and said, "Do you know who you've been talking to" and I said, "No, just some guys with strong accents", and then he told me who they were but it was too late to be intimidated because we were just having too much fun so I went back to where they were and continued where I left off. We hosted a TV show called "Swingtime" for about 3 weeks and then some of the guys in the band got into something they couldn't live without "H", so that was the end of the band. Thanks for taking the time to read this, try to find some pictures! Hopper
Hi John, I remember Rocksand very well. I was at quite a few of your gigs. Sorry, I just found this forum now but had to reply anyway. I may have some pics somewhere. One of your gigs was a street dance in Universal City on Pat Booker Road. I was a beginner B3 player and Lonnie let me play on one of your songs. A friend of mine took several pics of the band and me. Man, that was a lifetime ago, lol. If I can find the pics I'll be glad to let you have a copy of them. No payment necessary. Glad to share. My email is <robb9941@gmail.com>. Take care.

Rob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2016, 11:42 PM

62 posts, read 149,157 times
I work at the Central Library downtown and I am working on a spreadsheet of San Antonio Concerts. I have nearly 5,000 shows from 1929 to the present but I know there are many more. (I'm not including local or regional bands unless they were the opening act for a big name or, like Chris Geppert (Flash), became a big name (Christopher Cross).

I'm always looking for information on shows.

genealogydesk@sanantonio.gov

Old 04-25-2016, 09:37 AM

898 posts, read 2,894,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Greyhound View Post
I work at the Central Library downtown and I am working on a spreadsheet of San Antonio Concerts. I have nearly 5,000 shows from 1929 to the present but I know there are many more. (I'm not including local or regional bands unless they were the opening act for a big name or, like Chris Geppert (Flash), became a big name (Christopher Cross).

I'm always looking for information on shows.

genealogydesk@sanantonio.gov
anyway we can see your list?

Old 04-25-2016, 11:24 AM

62 posts, read 149,157 times
I'm working on a way to post it on the library website. Right now, we are redesigning things. Stay tuned!

However, I periodically include things here (https://mysapl.wordpress.com/2016/04...nio-history-8/) like today's info about SRV at La Semana Alegre.

Old 01-20-2024, 12:02 AM

2 posts, read 17,017 times
I went to the Aerosmith concert in Sayers Tx .. I just can’t remember the year .. It was between 1974-1975 .. I wish i could get the exact year and month .. Can someone help me , please..

Old 01-20-2024, 03:22 PM

6,498 posts, read 7,527,078 times
https://www.concertarchives.org/conc...dies-everclear

Date:Friday, May 10, 1996
Venue: Sunken Gardens Theater

I was 16 at the time, Toadies and Everclear at Sunken Garden theatre was my first. I remember that month 995 KISS had a concert every weekend, the following week we saw Candlebox at the same venue. We got there in the back of my older friends pick up truck. Since we were HS sophomores and younger than the juniors and seniors, we were relegated to the back. So dangerous since we were driving into town from Somerset area so it was a good distance of highway driving... but we had a good time.

Old 01-20-2024, 06:09 PM

1,032 posts, read 874,442 times
May 1993: In town to visit grandparents and my parents took me to see Paul McCartney at the AlamoDome.

I was a huge Beatles fan from the time I was 8-9 years old. The show was awesome.

Old 01-25-2024, 09:33 AM

4,433 posts, read 5,343,648 times
The AlamoDome just announced that Billy Joel and Sting are coming together.

Old 03-03-2024, 10:42 AM

20 posts, read 10,957 times
Great concerts. I remember going to Sunken Gardens and catching Trapeze, Navasota and Wet Willie.

Old 03-08-2024, 01:11 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Donny Osmond!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio