Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 07:26 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,875,013 times

Advertisements

So any groups like the following that are local or are any such activities relegated to geocaching?

Cave Clan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 06:35 PM

2 posts, read 9,452 times
I worked at the State Hospital back in 1972 in the old buildings that have now been torn down. I heard the famous key sounds in H ward and witnessed many supernatural events. Apparantly it was a well kept secret because no one talks about it. The tunnels, dating back to the original building of 1872, were closed off because, not only was it creepy, but the tunnel spooks kept scaring the attendants. I quit and moved on to a more permanent career, but I still remember the coffee can ashtrays, ghosts knocking sounds, voices, foot steps that abounded throughout that old hospital. If you weren't a believer in ghosts, you became one when you worked there.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:24 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,389,324 times
Default Chapulin,.

B.S. -- Haunted Railroad Tracks, Alamo ghosts, la llorona,Tunnel sounds, whatever etc. tales for children. Goblins and nymphs and all the lesser demons will soon make appearances on- El dia de los muertos.
Halloween is coming, beware.
Call the now famous, Ghostbusters. Paranormal investigators extraordinaire.
A Bigfoot was famously reported to S.A.P.D. by a couple near Loop 1604 and Culebra last spring(2011)-
The B.F.R.O. (bigfoot field research organization) will soon make an appearance in San Antonio.They are the "professionals" and even do "field" expeditions which the public can also accompany them on- for a small fee. This last year B.F.R.O. even got their own reality show. I couldn't believe the nonsense. These people scream out howling sounds out in the dark woods and then keep quiet and anxiously listen for a response.
They have a website- in case one wants to go on an expedition.
Reported to be carrying a deer carcass-(road Kill?)- the young couple eyewitnessed this act by a Bigfoot and then made a call to the police dept.! The large hairy beast appeared and then disappeared into the thicket actually nearer the intersection of Hwy 151 and Loop 1604 and headed straight west from Loop 1604.
S.A.P.D. came out (honestly) and investigated, made a report on the incident I am sure, and eyewitness news channel 5 famously reported on it on the noon news that very day over the T.V.
I watched the newscast. Incredulously.
No doubt trailed by Chucabra, the Bigfoot surely was, awaiting some of the tasty venison leftovers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapulin1016 View Post
I worked at the State Hospital back in 1972 in the old buildings that have now been torn down. I heard the famous key sounds in H ward and witnessed many supernatural events. Apparantly it was a well kept secret because no one talks about it. The tunnels, dating back to the original building of 1872, were closed off because, not only was it creepy, but the tunnel spooks kept scaring the attendants. I quit and moved on to a more permanent career, but I still remember the coffee can ashtrays, ghosts knocking sounds, voices, foot steps that abounded throughout that old hospital. If you weren't a believer in ghosts, you became one when you worked there.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:12 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,810,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapulin1016 View Post
I worked at the State Hospital back in 1972 in the old buildings that have now been torn down. I heard the famous key sounds in H ward and witnessed many supernatural events. Apparently it was a well kept secret because no one talks about it. The tunnels, dating back to the original building of 1872, were closed off because, not only was it creepy, but the tunnel spooks kept scaring the attendants. I quit and moved on to a more permanent career, but I still remember the coffee can ashtrays, ghosts knocking sounds, voices, foot steps that abounded throughout that old hospital. If you weren't a believer in ghosts, you became one when you worked there.
Those two bolded phrases are in conflict. I have no doubt it was a creepy place to work. Tunnels? Maybe so! To best of my knowledge the hospital dates back to 1892.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:13 AM

14 posts, read 35,450 times
The old Brooks AFB has tunnels connecting its building up at the hill. They were all NASA buildings at one time and they all connected together. There are also, naturally, bomb/fallout shelters in the same location.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:17 PM

254 posts, read 548,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepa View Post
The old Brooks AFB has tunnels connecting its building up at the hill. They were all NASA buildings at one time and they all connected together. There are also, naturally, bomb/fallout shelters in the same location.
No doubt the Nazis were there-

Old 09-26-2012, 03:20 AM

39 posts, read 91,479 times
I drove around Brooke's City Base about 3 months ago one afternoon after leaving the gym off Goliad to look at the new apartments they were building with a girlfriend of mine because she asked me what this area used to be and I told her to the best of my knowledge it was an old air force base. I'm only in my early 20's. We parked at a small play in the area and decided to explore the area which to my amazement, many of the old base buildings are not really closed off from the old base. There is a fence but in some places all you have to do is go through the bush. -__- Anyways, in my opinion, the base is literally an abandoned city with lots of future development planned for it but also has many secrets.....now I won't disclose where exactly I was, but I can confirm there are bomb shelters here that mimic sewers on the streets as if they are meant to be entrances to drainage areas but are really entrances to bomb shelters. Clever.....eh? Nobody would ever think these sewer holes were actually entrances to secret bunkers. How I found this out.....I noticed the cover lid to the so called sewer in the middle of a grassland shaped like a golf course with small hills between two red buildings and adjacent to a small white building there which was seemed like an odd white building out of place and the location of this lid just seemed like an odd place to put it. Like dead center in the middle of a Bermudas triangle. There was no concrete around it and it looked like a lid sitting in the middle of growing grass which is a little odd. Usually sewers have some sort of concrete around it but this one had nothing but grass and was marked with 10-A4 B-MED sort of thing. Anyhoo, that to me does not sound like a drainage ditch, sounds like a bomb shelter for a medical team or something. My girlfriend thought I was getting ahead of myself and was being antsy to leave. But me being a curious george, I ran back to the car and got the crowbar from and decided to see if I could pop it open, which was similar to lifting a cover to a sewer. Lo and behold, underneath the lid, was a round door which has what looks like a steering wheel like those found on safes but huge. Sorta like if you were getting into a submarine. My girl thought I was crazy and she was starting to freak out and wanted to leave because she thought we would get caught for trespassing. But by who? There was nobody there. On the way home my girl asked me why I was being an idiot and I told her that I was almost positive that it wasn't a sewer because sewers do not have another entrance doors beneath it like that. Anyways, she won the argument and that was the end of it. Two days later I had lunch with some friends and told them about it but they too thought I was tripping and getting in over my head. I told them that I would take them to lunch of their choice if they came with me and helped me open it. They laughed but bribery is a strong medicine. I decided to wait for the weekend to come to explore a little more. So that weekend on a Sunday, I brought those guys with me who I had to bribe with lunch because they did not believe me and thought I was stupid for trying such a thing. But I really wanted to prove myself right. Call me crazy but my bet paid off and it took a hell of a lot of tugging and turning of a really rusted wheel on the door to pry open. When we opened it you could see a small ladder that goes about 12-15 feet into the ground and it was just a pitch black hole that had a weird smell to it. The creepiest damn thing you could ever see. I told them we should all go down there together but they were being pansies and ME being ME, I went into the hole with a flashlight alone and jeez, it was so damn hot and the stench was like mothballs or something, like a mixture of mothballs and used engine oil. I had my friends get me a shirt from my car so I could wrap around my entire face and wore some clear protective glasses just in case and used dish washing gloves that covered my entire forearms. To my surprise, as I entered, I set foot into a room with beds hanging from the wall in it reminiscent of the 50's era bunkers. The place was so dusty and there was dust in the air which I could see due to the flashlight beam. Walking though the entrance, there were two rows on each side of the wall and each had about 20 beds on each wall. The light switches if you may, were so damn huge. Like little brick sized boxes with a light switch in the middle of it. I pushed one to the on position but had no effect. The place just looked so outdated down there. Lots of large steel pipes and thick large brick walls. The lights above the corners of the walls had been covered with a cage like protection shield, and there were also red and yellow lights beneath some of the other light fixtures. There was sinks and showers straight past the beds to the left and lots of large metallic doors of which I was just too damn scared to open to the right. Many of the sinks were rusted and had rusted the porcelain around the faucets but the rest of it seemed in pristine condition with only dust on them. There were stalls and the toilets were empty and white and had no water in them. You could tell that they had not ever been used because many of them showed no residue of previous usage in the center but had collected dirt and dust. Further down, there was this large open shower next to the area that had mirrors above each sink with large drains in the center of them. Like a gym shower. There were old cans and lots of empty brown bottles which looked like empty brown red stripe beer bottles but in glass form with no labeling in the center of them. There were stacks of brown wooden boxes with the same bottles in there and a few of them seem to have some sort of liquid in them. Also there were many unlabeled aluminum cans which do not have anything on them. Sort of like buying a can of corn and removing the label around it leaving just the bare can. There were tons of them stacked on top of each other. I saw a few rather large large green boxes marked with a red cross with what seemed like first aid kits wrapped in green plastic like tape that looked like the green tape used to secure cargo. There were other white boxes marked with fragile on them. The biggest surprise and near heart attack were when I saw the gas mask hanging on this solid pipe with tons of dust on them. Literally about 7 gas masks hanging from the side of which i mistakened as someone being in there. Yes they scared me ****less and I scram like a little girl. They just stared at me and my heard was beating so damn fast. I'm not sure if something was opened in those rooms and that was why the room smelled the way it did but it was like stepping into an old persons room with that moth ball scent that even with the shirt is still noticeable. I could not go any deeper and with my body tingling from seeing the gas masks, I gave up going any deeper. The floor was so damn dusty that it left a trail of shoe prints and I was in there for about 10-15 minutes and only about 65 feet inside and I could see the light from the entrance beaming down from across the long hallway i was in. It was just this huge corridor which may have been converted to a storage or something. While walking on my way out I checked my phone and it had no signal at all as I wanted to text one my friends to come down with me but it did not work. That to me means the walls had to be thick enough that the frequencies could not penetrate it. I was just glad to be out of there but ever more so, just confused. I did not understand what those bottles were and those cans were filled with or those so called medical boxes or what those small gas masks were there for. Of the two guys who were with me, only one of them had the balls to go down there and see a little bit but could not venture far enough as I did. Both of us did not touch anything or take anything because I do not want anything following us on the way out. Call me superstitious but I believe in leaving things the way they are if they have been untouched for many years. Who knows what was attached to those items down there. While the whole thing may look creepy, luckily it was daytime so I had a little more courage to check it out but had it been night, I would not have gone down there and the way those gas masks were hung was just too damn creepy. Now I don't know if people will try and find these bunkers which do exist, and if you do happen to find them, wrap up, take plenty of flashlights and wear boots because the floors are really dirty, and do not steal from them or take anything from them as I do not know exactly what I was in those items and I was sure to wrap my face tight with a cloth and wore protective eye gear, but if you are curious, it's on you. Like every place, there is a sense of danger. I am surprised the base did not clean these things out or maybe they just simply thought people would not find them. Don't take my word for it. They are there but beware, the smell is really thick and probably a bit due to whatever is stored in them. I contacted the development offices in Lackland AFB if they could shed some light on bunkers in their base as I was doing a research project on them and perhaps I could connect the dots and get an idea of what exactly was stored in them. A woman in her late 50's seemed very timid but was nice and able to confirm that she knew that these bunkers did exist on Lackland but could not confirm if they were the same ones I saw at Brooke's city base, as the one I had been in or even what was stored in them. She said some of them at lackland were built when the base was first opened and many of them were restructured during the cold war. I told her about my story and she laughed a bit about it but also sternly told me that it was advisable not to go back there or to disclose too information much about it because it was still considered trespassing on governmental property because the whole base is still not open to the public. Really? Not open to the public? Hmmm.....Also, she did say that that yes they exist. She confirmed it. They were old shelters they had converted during the cold war to protect civilians and personnel on the base and they were shaped to look like drainage pipes. About two weeks ago I drove and walked to the same spot and a construction crew had literally poured concrete over the spot where the "sewer" was at before. This huge large slab of a flat cube of concrete now existed over that spot and they left this huge pile of rubble there. I just could not believe it. Coincidence or not......if you want to find a tunnel without being caught, try brooks city base or whats left of it. I know in my gut there has to be more than one of those bunkers left in there and I am curious to see what is stored in the others if any exist. Yes they sealed the one I found, but I'm sure they are all interconnected and there are many other entrances. Who knows.

Last edited by aleks_; 09-26-2012 at 04:17 AM..

Old 09-26-2012, 05:53 AM

847 posts, read 2,231,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleks_ View Post

I drove around Brooke's City Base about 3 months ago

Hmmm.....Also, she did say that that yes they exist. She confirmed it.

......a few pictures would confirm it for me.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:54 AM

265 posts, read 534,296 times
There are/were also tunnels which connected the Smith Building aka Transit Building aka Tower Life Building across the street to the Granada building in one direction and to what was once a hotel across the street that is now parking lot (next to the Mexican Consulate office.

Speaking of underground infrastructure....

Underneath the old Federal Reserve Building at 126 E. Nueva across from the Old Bexar County Courthouse, 3 floors below grade is a shooting range.

The Federal Reserve has all but ceased operations at that building and the City and County are now fighting over who will acquire it from the Feds.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:56 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,810,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleks_

I drove around Brooke's City Base about 3 months ago

Hmmm.....Also, she did say that that yes they exist. She confirmed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *mud* View Post
......a few pictures would confirm it for me.
I've explored most of old Brooks field. There are many mysterious buildings and sites. Tunnels ....? I doubt it. Certainly possible though. Fallout shelters ...wouldn't surprise me. I have a great many pictures I may post later. I found the Centrifuge but was not allowed access. Chased up a jack rabbit last time out there. Looks like Chernobyl but many things are going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio