Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 06:51 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,856,150 times

Advertisements

I think a lot of the downtown storefront buildings have basements. I don't know what they are used for. I found one shop underground. On the same level as the Riverwalk but not on the river itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 07:00 PM

1,366 posts, read 4,486,490 times
i used to work at USAA for 11yrs and as I understand it there was an underground tunnel going from what used to be McDermott's house to the main building ...

also, my OBGYN has an office right across the street from Methodist and he told me there was an underground tunnel for the docs to use from their offices to the hospital for emergency deliveries --- keep in mind i was under pain medication when i heard this so i may be making this part up entirely!!!

Old 11-07-2008, 09:39 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,292,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maluminse View Post
Like a man made tunnel? wow Im always over there and ive never seen or heard of this! Please tell me more.
I second that request!

Old 11-07-2008, 10:03 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,192,693 times
There's a tunnel from the Frost Bank Bldg to the building that use to house the old Luby's on Main Plaza. When I worked downtown I would use it several times a week. If I remember correctly you can access it from the basement of the Frost Bldg.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:52 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,362,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maluminse View Post
Chicago has massive underground tunnels most now abandoned but were used for various reasons over the years.

Has anyone ever heard of tunnels or underground passages in SA? I know that there is one from the Armory (heb) to Butts house.

I know there is a lot of drainage framework.

Im guessing our calichi base makes it difficult....
There are more tunnels under San Antonio than most people know about. Some are just pedestrian tunnels under streets. Some are private access tunnels between buildings and parking for employees. Some are hospital access to underground storage and/or outside emergency/delivery access.
Some are tunnels used by CPS or Saws....and many are historical mazes that connect a lot of significant sites....some now blocked off or are a dead end because of new construction.

I have some recorded tapes by John Leal who was a noted San Antonio historian as well as Canary Islander descendant. In his tapes, he talks about some of these tunnels and locations. Many involved the missions and early churches. Some were on private property and served as safe houses or prison cells for whatever noble or nefarious reason.

There are many that are not publicised.

The Cave on Nacogdoches is called "Robber Baron Cave". It has been famous and infamous for centuries. Google the cave and there are some interesting stories about kids exploring that cave. At one time, a couple of kids followed it SW about three miles and came upon an underground lake (Under Alamo Heights). They frequented the lake often as it was pure spring water. Their swimming disturbed the clear flowing water to a number of residents wells and one area farmer had the entrance to the lake blocked.

A later resident sealed the entrance off Nacogdoches altogether for liability reasons. In the 50's Leland Busby purchased the land to develop "Oak Park" and kept ownership of that parcel of land. He later donated it the Texas Cave Management Association. Volunteers and spelunkers have been working tirelessly to re-open and restore safe access to that cave. Here's an article about this past year. It's open by appointment or special arrangements for touring groups.

Tourist attraction turned dump, Robber Baron Cave reopens today (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/Tourist_attraction_turned_dump_Robber_Baron_Cave_r eopens_today.html - broken link)

In the 1930's a local businessman was very concerned about the natural water system that feeds the San Antonio area. He managed to gain enough interest to test the waters to see how far reaching the waters from the Robber Baron Cave extended. They dropped dye packets in the water and offered a reward to the first person or furthest person to bring back samples of water containing the same dye. One of the reports came as far away as Goliad.

The most fascinating tunnels are the historical ones dating back several hundred years. Information about them are spotty at best.

The largest tunnel and absolutely the most impressive is the flood water overflow channel that prevents the city from ever flooding downtown again. It was completed sometime in the 90's. Here's a link to more extensive information about this wonder of this city. It's worth the read to truly comprehend the enormity of this tunnel that sits below this city. Incredible!
Regional Flood Management—Damms (http://www.sara-tx.org/site/flood_control/SACIP/SAR_Tunnel.html - broken link)

Old 11-08-2008, 08:36 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,362,473 times
Just a quick followup....SA had many floods that ravaged downtown for years....1921 being the worst. Many of the older tunnels of any historic value were either shut off, or condemned because the structural integrity was ruined.

Ironically, the downtown Court House houses the Deed Records and Vital Statistics in the basement level, and fortunately those records were spared loss and damage during any of these floods. I was told that water had gotten in the basement, but not to a level that destroyed these valuable documents.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:34 AM

1,220 posts, read 2,681,038 times
I did an intership at the San Antonio State Hospital during college. There are tunnels underneath the grounds of the hospital many do not know about. VERY creeeeeepy. They used to give tours down there (from what I understood a loong time ago), but boarded them up because it had a stigma attached to SASH being called the "lunatic asylum" when it was first opened in the 1800s. I remember seeing pics of the tunnels in the patient library (WHY they placed these in the patient library is beyond me), there were even chains on the tunnel walls. They placed the more aggressive patients in these tunnels.

Last edited by Buffyfan; 11-08-2008 at 09:43 AM..

Old 11-08-2008, 05:45 PM

2 posts, read 43,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjw View Post
I've heard rumors of a cave on Nacogdoches/Cave Lane that goes all the way to downtown. Don't know if it's a cave or a tunnel or even if it's true.
I know it's way past your post, the the cave IS there, and I was in it today. It's pretty cool

Old 11-08-2008, 05:48 PM

2 posts, read 43,282 times
TCMA looks like an interesting organization to join, gives you access to other caves in the SA area, too, it you help them with their work!

Old 11-11-2008, 09:53 PM

3,060 posts, read 7,422,182 times
That's some awesome posting there, wCat!!! Excellent info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio