Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: heb or walmart which one is cheaper
heb 84 80.77%
walmart 22 21.15%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 06:26 PM

5 posts, read 20,040 times

Advertisements

im retiring to san antonio and want to know which store is cheaper to buy my groceries heb or walmart.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 06:29 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
HEB has coupons and edible meat. Walmart seems to be a little cheaper on paper goods and bottled water.

I shop at both but only buy meat from HEB.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:47 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
There was a recent thread discussing how Super Target might be cheaper than both of them. I shop at all 3 stores about equally. Super Target has some amazing clearance deals on groceries sometimes.

HEB's meat spoils more quickly than meat from the other two, although it is cut in the store. If you buy a week's worth at a time and keep it in the refrigerator, that can be an issue.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:31 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,552,763 times
Target is great, especially with the 5% discount (Target CC)...HEB has a better selection of meat, although the quality of Target meat is fine...Target milk seems to spoil quickly for us.

Don't like WalMart, and I don't find them cheaper (apples to apples, no pun intended) on anything we buy.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:02 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,721,107 times
I've heard people say that Walmart's meat isnt as good quality as HEB but I have to say that recently Walmart's beef has gotten a lot better. I've gotten some really nice cuts there. Plus their angus burgers are REALLY good. Tonight I made boneless pork ribs from there and they were excellent.

Interestingly I have gotten sick twice (nothing major but enough to make me not buy it ever again) from eating HEB chicken that I cooked the same day I got it.

I used to be completely anti-HEB but they have some good quality items that you cannot get at Walmart. I love love love HEB's sushi as well as their salads from the deli. Pretty much everything I have gotten out of the deli has been good.

For overall groceries I stick with Walmart. Seems like no matter how hard I try I always spend more money at HEB.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:04 PM

150 posts, read 392,750 times
I have shopped at HEB, WalMart, Super Target, Randall's, and Whole Foods. The last one is too darn expensive. Randall's carries items that the others don't and are somewhat cheaper in their items.

The best produce: HEB
The best meat: Randall's or Whole Foods
The best prices on groceries: Costco

Old 04-23-2011, 09:34 PM

944 posts, read 2,040,432 times
I think they're about equal, it just depends on your particular spending habits and how much use you make of HEB coupons. I think overall, HEB is better value due to higher quality produce and more variety.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:45 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,629,036 times
If you know the price of the items you normally buy you will notice that HEB is attempting to match or go lower than Wal-Mart. HEB also has a lot of fantastic savings on those yellow coupons you see hanging on the shelves. Lots of items are free when you use them. HEB is best for meat & fresh veg's...not Wal-Mart. Overall, shopping at HEB is a pleasant experience...employees seem to be very friendly and accomodating...well most of them....this is not true for WM...sorry to say. I'd rather spend my money at HEB a good Texas company that does a lot for the community! MY HEB!!!

Old 04-23-2011, 09:47 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,629,036 times
I've never had any meat spoil that I bought at HEB. But then again...I freeze at the latest the next day after purchase.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:53 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
Walmart's meat is disgusting and is treated to look fresher longer because it has to be processed outside of the store and then shipped to the store. Their produce looks like it was picked out of a dumpster. Their bakery is pretty nasty too and I no longer buy fresh or frozen Great Value products. Yuck! I pretty much only buy pantry items and non-Great value frozen foods from Walmart.

Whole Foods and Central Market are too expensive for me. I buy chicken from Sun Harvest when it's on sale. Sun Harvest's chicken beats HEB's, but I mostly do my grocery shopping at HEB. Although I'm not a fan of many Hill Country items, I don't mind buying HEB brand products. I've never personally shopped at Costco or Sam's Club.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio