Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2023, 03:44 PM

13 posts, read 7,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Anywhere on the Wasatch Front (west side of mountains) will be scorchingly hot in summer. Dry heat doesn't mean much when it's +95 deg and sunny at altitude. You really can't do anything active during the day. This applies to Tooele as well. That leaves PC and Heber. Unfortunately there's simply no way to get a house to your specs in PC for your budget. Maybe Heber or Kamas. As for Coalville, you'd do well to visit first. You say little about social life, restaurants, food, etc., but if those things are of no importance then maybe it would be OK. Start browsing listings. You may be better off in MT or ID. Also, as far as UT goes, consider the extractive mindset, the grow-at-any-cost ethos and environmental denialism. If the lake gets back on track to drying up, which it seems to be doing despite a record snow year, you're looking at increasingly frequent and toxic dust storms (heavy metals scoured off the ever-growing dry lake bed).
Thanks for the post. I dont have much experience with "dry" heat but I can imagine theres a still a breaking point with heat. Good ? about the social aspect. We are pretty quiet people, she's a bit more social. Im an introvert in and out. We go out for dinner once a wk. Weve got a town about 10miles east and 10 miles south each with a handful of options.Same applies for groceries. Then we are equal distance to Buffalo or Roc (about 45mins) for any and all options of entertainment and travel.
Ive been browsing real estate for the last few months to just get a vibe for whats available and where.
She feels MT will be too cold and didnt have much to say about ID when I brought it up. If it were up to me, id be somewhere between Star Valley ranch to Jackson area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytidid View Post
If you don’t like wind, stay away from Tooele. Our breezy days can have winds regularly around 30-40mph. 70mph isn’t unheard of during storms. I live in Tooele County and we have had a lot of high 90 degree days this summer, which is pretty typical.

Dry heat summers are definitely the way to go, however. Down in the Salt Lake Valley there are sometimes weeks of 100 or near 100 degree days.

Finding a home in the $600k range for the size of home you are looking for will not be easy right now. The housing market is crazy.

However, any place you live it will have magnificent mountain views. I have a gorgeous view right from my driveway.
Thanks for advice. WE look forward to seeing the views. The devil inside of me kinda has me wondering if their might be a bit of a housing bubble that might pop here in the next several yrs that we could possibly exploit. But on the flip that probably means my current house will also be worth less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Heber/Midway would be a fantastic place to start looking... A great point of accessibility to the reservoirs, park city, and Uintas. Real estate is pricey all over but perhaps you can fit your budget.
Yea the pricing does kinda scare me at the moment but like I mentioned above, ive wondered if there might be a bit of a housing bubble that might pop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
If you do not like cookie-cutter homes, you'd be surprised that you can find something within the Salt Lake Proper area, if you just make an effort to look around...

We live in one of the SLC suburbs on a little over half an acre piece of property. NO HOA !
I have a small creek in front of my place and a tremendous amount of full-grown trees all over the neighbourhood which keeps the area rather cool during the hot days.

Our house is over 60 years old and has 10-inch solid brick outside walls which keeps the house either cool in summer or warm in winter. All the inside walls are 6-inch thick lath and plaster. The house is a three-floor split-level home with two full basements...

Everything that I need is within no more than 15 minutes away by car.
If we had kids, there are all the schools we would need within walking distance except the university level...I have a bus stop within a 5-minute walk from me.

I have no need to move out somewhere in the countryside...

So it all depends on what you like to work with... we bought it 30 years ago and have only done minor upgrades like new paint, new high-efficiency windows etc.

What I am trying to convey is that Salt Lake City is not just all-new housing where you do not know which one is your house...
I like the sounds of that. In my real estate watching I havent come across nearly as many of your situations but I just might not be looking in the right spots yet.

Quote:
It can be done given the OP’s criteria. I also don’t think 70% LDS is relevant with this type of property as your neighbors become somewhat less relevant.

https://www.redfin.com/UT/Heber-City...home/104146508

https://www.redfin.com/UT/Midway/238.../home/86509802

Those are what Im talking about!!! That first one especially...I could use a little more wood on the walls, but I do like the most of the color choices!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
Will either of you be working in SLC proper? If so, then commute becomes a much bigger issue and makes distant towns harder to live in. You might give a quick look at Morgan, UT up Weber Canyon on I-84 east of Ogden. It would work great if you are working remote, or working in the Ogden area. It's a bit cooler on the east side of the mountains as the sun sets a little earlier in the evening behind the mountains. You get a great eastern view of the mountains. You have the Weber River and East Canyon Creek for rafting/tubing and fishing. Easier access to East Canyon Lake and Echo Reservoir if boating is your thing. Easy access to the mountains for downhill skiing (Powder Mt and Snowbasin), cross country skiing outside of town, snowmobiling I would assume is available both North and South of town. If a work commute isn't an issue it might be a good fit.

Havent really talked much about jobs at this stage, but there would likely be some commuting. She'd be looking to get a job with like UTah DNR or something similar working with/helping wildlife, preferably reptiles and what not. Not likely in a zoo form or vet situation. Around here some of those jobs do offer some remote abilities but may be different there. I have my cdl but recently have gotten back into running heavy machinery in a quarry. So Id be commuting for sure.

Up until recently I had a 45min commute each way 5days/wk and as does she 2.5 days /wk. Her other 2.5 days are 5mins. I now only drive about 8 mins each way. While mtn driving is another animal for sure, we are familiar with some commuting. But it is definitely something that will be a consideration if we really end up liking the area.
Thanks for the Morgan tip. I knew there was a couple other smaller towns that peaked my interest but had forgot and one of them was Morgan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by altajoe View Post
I was going to suggest Morgan, Mountain Green and the Ogden Valley. But, I hesitated for the same "work" reason. The Ogden Valley (Huntsville, Eden & Liberty) also allows quick access to the city of Ogden for urban amenities.

Those areas are showing asking prices for real estate a bit higher than the target, but the recent ridiculous price explosion is over and those actually seeking to move property could very well be on the verge of having to accept lower than asking offers.
Thanks for the town suggestions Huntsville was another one of the towns I wanted to explore. I am hoping there will be a bit of pull back in real estate to some degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2023, 08:57 AM

325 posts, read 962,463 times
Coming from the east coast, then the Midwest, where humidity rules. High 90's, low 100's were awful. Out here in Eden, high 90's and low 100's is hot, but tolerable. We learned very quickly that shade is your friend. Making sure that you have shade should be high on your priority list.

Last edited by JMT; 08-17-2023 at 03:18 PM..

Old 08-17-2023, 09:14 AM

7,735 posts, read 3,778,838 times
Perhaps Add Kamas to your search:

https://www.redfin.com/city/10139/UT/Kamas

Old 10-01-2023, 02:58 PM

So a little late responding but for those interested here’s how we saw things. It’s definitely true when I read about Utah drivers. While I didn’t noticed any more bad driving than the next area, you guys are not afraid to do the speed limit plus another 10.
We really liked the area as a whole. As everyone says I don’t think there’s a bad view of mountains all along the SLC area. I’d prefer a little more alpine appearance but eh.
While nice, we didn’t really find any areas down in the valley that really peaked our interest. Mainly just the traffic and tightness of most housing. We did like S. Weber a bit better, we wanted to get to get up to Logan but ran out of time.
Those who commented on wanting to visit Coalville and those outskirt areas were right. Those were pretty remote and not feasible for us. Morgan was nice, good views but seemed like everything would be a trip.
Park city is nice but yeah we’d never make it there.
Then there’s Heber city/Daniel. Of all the area’s these definitely fit majority of our criteria. Smaller town with the majority of amenities,views, the weather, with warm afternoons,crisp mornings. Ahhh just perfection. Now I did notice when we got into Heber mid Tuesday afternoon (the 5) the traffic was pretty heavy but that was the only time I noticed it.
So as it stands Heber is on our list now but we are a bit concerned with where real estate prices are going to go but we will worry about that if/when the time comes.
Btw we had a lot of good eats while we were there. We had a great breakfast when we flew in at one of the black bear diner’s. Multiple good breakfasts in Moab, as well as good bbq at the Blu Pig. Great lunch at wingers, in Provo. The only thing that I wasn’t wowed by was the pizza that we had in Ogden. We are big deep dish fans, I had picked better spots around SLC but someone wasn’t hungry at that point so we didn’t eat til Ogden.
That’s it for now. Thanks all!!!

Old 10-02-2023, 08:21 AM

7,735 posts, read 3,778,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbear00 View Post
So as it stands Heber is on our list now but we are a bit concerned with where real estate prices are going to go but we will worry about that if/when the time comes.
What is your concern re: real estate prices? Are you concerned they have peaked and are likely to go down & you don't want to catch a falling knife? Or are you concerned they will just go higher & higher and out of reach for you? Or something else?

Old 10-02-2023, 04:49 PM

We are thinking more that the pricing is going to keep climbing. At least in the short term however I feel there will be a breaking point eventually (throughout the country) I feel like that area homeowners might be more financially secure than other areas(as in less foreclosures or just high payments catching up to them in a few years)Also that there will be enough desirability for the area that will keep pricing high even with a downturn.

Old 10-04-2023, 07:13 AM

9,368 posts, read 6,967,418 times
Heber to Kamas will be a continued growing location as it’s highly desirable location with access to mountains, snowmobiling/atving, reservoirs, camping, etc… you will see the prices continue to go up especially for people that cannot afford PC they will chose those areas as substitutes. Unfortunately that growth will come at the expense of what makes those areas special.

I would move to heber/midway in a heartbeat if our jobs would allow remote work.

Old 10-13-2023, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Heber to Kamas will be a continued growing location as it’s highly desirable location with access to mountains, snowmobiling/atving, reservoirs, camping, etc… you will see the prices continue to go up especially for people that cannot afford PC they will chose those areas as substitutes. Unfortunately that growth will come at the expense of what makes those areas special.

I would move to heber/midway in a heartbeat if our jobs would allow remote work.
Yea that’s basically what we are thinking. We feel many people in the area or would be coming into the area will be kinda immune to much of any forthcoming economic downturn.

Old Yesterday, 12:01 AM

4 posts, read 70 times
Move to Provo, Orem, American Fork, Lehi, or Saratoga Springs if you want to be an hour away. If you want to be a little closer move to Draper or Murray. I live in St. George so way to far away but still big and when I graduate hs I will be moving to Provo or SLC. Idk they are just good spots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area