Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2020, 06:13 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,825,063 times

Advertisements

He's moved to stop the riot the second that the protests turned violent. Called out the National Guard and imposed a curfew. Thank you! His swift action has probably saved SLC from arson and looting and rioting.

Peaceful protests? Absolutely. Rioting, vandalism, looting and arson? No way. I wish other governors would learn to respond as rapidly as he has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2020, 01:24 AM

2,072 posts, read 6,711,760 times
Good to hear! Do not tolerate any violent or criminal activity with these protests.

Old 05-31-2020, 06:06 AM

9,400 posts, read 7,042,176 times
I love our local and state government! Would love to see them prosecute those involved in the looting burning and vandalism.

Old 05-31-2020, 07:07 AM

Most of those who were arrested were simply refusing to go home after the curfew. I doubt they'll be charged with anything. But the one who attacked a cop? He'll get charged.

Meanwhile, the governor's rapid response prevented violence and destruction. He's done SO much better than others across the country, who delayed responding until after days or rioting and looting and arson had taken place.

Old 05-31-2020, 11:33 AM

14,479 posts, read 14,443,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Most of those who were arrested were simply refusing to go home after the curfew. I doubt they'll be charged with anything. But the one who attacked a cop? He'll get charged.

Meanwhile, the governor's rapid response prevented violence and destruction. He's done SO much better than others across the country, who delayed responding until after days or rioting and looting and arson had taken place.
I'm not faulting Governor Herbert. However, didn't the Salt Lake City police essentially take care of this on their own? If the Governor mobilized the National Guard to help that's fine. Its just that it looked to me like the police were able to manage this on their own.

How about some credit for the Salt Lake City Mayor, the Chief of Police, and the whole Salt Lake City Police Department which has a well deserved reputation for responsible and measured reactions to crowds.

Old 05-31-2020, 10:35 PM

2,072 posts, read 6,711,760 times
Excellent point! Thank you to all who are out there doing anything positive, helpful & peaceful! Great job if your one of the good guys.

Do not tolerate anything negative or violent activity period.

Protect your family yourself

Stay safe

Old 06-01-2020, 12:01 AM

23,350 posts, read 29,230,385 times
It's refreshing to read of this. Metro In Las Vegas put a stop to it very quickly, a protest that could have turned violent on the Las Vegas Strip. And here, in Tucson, much applause to our police who nipped it in the bud very quickly, with only $200k in damages.

Old 06-01-2020, 07:54 AM

9,400 posts, read 7,042,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I'm not faulting Governor Herbert. However, didn't the Salt Lake City police essentially take care of this on their own? If the Governor mobilized the National Guard to help that's fine. Its just that it looked to me like the police were able to manage this on their own.

How about some credit for the Salt Lake City Mayor, the Chief of Police, and the whole Salt Lake City Police Department which has a well deserved reputation for responsible and measured reactions to crowds.

I think you make a valid point.. this is a great example of local city and state officials & law enforcement working together to enact 1 successful policy that is working seamlessly across multiple parties.

The curfew order came from Mayor Mendenhall. We should feel fortunate in Utah that our government functions across both parties and works well together.

https://ksltv.com/438522/officials-i...alt-lake-city/

Old 06-01-2020, 12:38 PM

You're absolutely right. The mayor, the police, the surrounding towns' police. Just a fantastic joint effort, that saved SLC's downtown from looting and arson.

Old 06-02-2020, 09:14 PM

3,211 posts, read 3,604,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
He's moved to stop the riot the second that the protests turned violent. Called out the National Guard and imposed a curfew. Thank you! His swift action has probably saved SLC from arson and looting and rioting.

Peaceful protests? Absolutely. Rioting, vandalism, looting and arson? No way. I wish other governors would learn to respond as rapidly as he has.
In Chicago, there seems to be next to no distinction between the protesters and 'bad apples.' They are causing tremendous inconvenience and damage to our area. We have Latin Kings protecting neighborhoods and businesses because CPD is stretched too think. Count yourselves very lucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area