Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 11:27 AM

1 posts, read 3,602 times

Advertisements

Every time I visit - I feel giddy with excitement. Literally bubbling with it. I spent days driving around the Sugarhouse/Avenues/University areas. The place just feels "right". I found really good food in or near downtown - fabulous Mexican, great sushi and lots of local bakery/breakfast places. I went to a very good Ballet West performance on a Saturday night - front row seat for $40. Best value in a long time and very good talent. And lots of Clinton or Obama signs on each block.

The locals are very friendly and welcoming. I love the older homes and neighborhood feel of the place. Coming from a totally white-bread conservative Houston suburb on the prairie - it is heaven. And it snowed when I was there on May 1. I can't wait for ski season and locals discounts! Giddy!

Old 06-08-2008, 04:43 PM

515 posts, read 2,323,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia in Houston View Post
Every time I visit - I feel giddy with excitement. Literally bubbling with it. I spent days driving around the Sugarhouse/Avenues/University areas. The place just feels "right". I found really good food in or near downtown - fabulous Mexican, great sushi and lots of local bakery/breakfast places. I went to a very good Ballet West performance on a Saturday night - front row seat for $40. Best value in a long time and very good talent. And lots of Clinton or Obama signs on each block.

The locals are very friendly and welcoming. I love the older homes and neighborhood feel of the place. Coming from a totally white-bread conservative Houston suburb on the prairie - it is heaven. And it snowed when I was there on May 1. I can't wait for ski season and locals discounts! Giddy!
Wow - exactly how I feel as well, coming from NJ! I have a trip planned to SLC in late June to line up an apartment, etc. for my move in Aug. I am really excited about exploring and getting more of a feel for the area. I was out in late Feb., but spent a lot of my time skiing. I loved everything about the city & area.
I think you'll find your share of white-bread conservatives, but less so within the city itself. I'm coming from a fairly liberal, extremely diverse area. I actually look forward to an area that's a little less diverse... My impression is that the liberals in the SLC area tend to stick together since they are somewhat out numbered, so I hope to meet up with some...

Old 06-08-2008, 07:33 PM

1 posts, read 3,579 times
I lived in Woodcross right outside of Salt Lake and My husband and I really liked it. Something about Utah that really does feel good. The people mind there own business and it is so beautiful and low crime.. The economy is excellent , also housing is really reasonable. We also really loved Odgen.. I would like to go back but my husband wants to move close to his family in Indiana.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:55 AM

2,296 posts, read 6,285,143 times
You can't spend all your time in Sugarhouse though. Come on, please be realistic. At some point you will need to venture out to buy something at Target or Home Depot in the suburbs and then you will get your real wake up call. You will be sorry you ever moved here.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catrinac View Post
You can't spend all your time in Sugarhouse though. Come on, please be realistic. At some point you will need to venture out to buy something at Target or Home Depot in the suburbs and then you will get your real wake up call. You will be sorry you ever moved here.
I'll be sure to wear my suit of armor when leaving Sugarhouse to keep the big bad Mormons at bay.

I don't understand why you have such a hard time accepting that not everyone who moves there has the same sort of problems you've had. In fact, most people don't, based on this forum, and for me based on the opinions of dozens of people I've spoken to from all over who love living there. At this point it doesn't even seem like you are trying to be helpful. You are so bitter - I don't know what your agenda is.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:21 AM

I understand cinnabon that you need to believe that you will love living here and I genuinely hope you do. I am trying to help you and others who might read this forum to consider a different viewpoint. Yes my experience in Salt Lake has been quite embittering. And no it is not the Mormons. I have repeatedly mentioned that I have witnessed rude and off putting behavior all over town, not just in areas where the Mormons live. I had a negative experience this morning, in fact, at the Whole Foods on 4th south, an area that is supposedly "liberal" and friendly. I continue to document my experience on these boards because I feel it is important to do so. The image Salt Lake would like to build for itself of being open, friendly, and welcoming is simply not valid. Compared to other areas I have lived, which include Portland, Oregon; various areas of Texas (Midland, Corpus Christi, Austin and the Texas hill country); and Albuquerque, New Mexico, Salt Lake is the rudest, most off putting and screwed up place I have ever been. People on this forum have written to me privately to thank me for sharing my experience and have agreed with what I've said. But that is beside the point. If you go over to the New Mexico and Albuquerque boards there is plenty of pro and con discussion and even some bitter bashers. Everything I've read on the ABQ board is true! It isn't the perfect place for everyone and has some definite flaws. So does Salt Lake.

I picked up a book a couple of months ago called Who's Your City by Richard Florida. You might want to check it out.
Amazon.com: Who's Your City?: How the Creative Economy Is Making Where to Live the Most Important Decision of Your Life: Richard Florida: Books
He says that regions like people have personalities; ie, outgoing, neurotic, agreeable, conscientious, and open to experience, etc. There is a brief discussion in the book about Salt Lake in which Florida groups Salt Lake in with cities which would be considered "outgoing" . I think that is definitely true. People here really like to emphasize all the group and social activities and then extrapolate that Salt Lake must be a great place to live. Florida says the outgoing regions also tend to score low on neuroticism (deep thinking, introspection, etc.), conscientiousness (suprise, suprise: outgoing and "nice" doesn't mean thoughtful or considerate!!), openess (people in Salt Lake are not open and never will be, period), and very low (his words, not mine!) on agreeableness. From the book:

"Outgoing regions, Renfrow comments, would likely be a good fit for people who are social and outgoing, who like group activities and functions, who play team sports, and like to be around other people. They are unlikely to appeal to people who prefer very close ties or community involvement , as those preferences are more common among highly agreeable individuals, or those who constantly need multiple options or enjoy trying new things, which are preferences more common among people high in openness."

What I am reading on these boards all the time is that Salt Lake is a certain type of community which it is not and I feel a need to set the facts straight. That is my agenda. I will continue to write on this board even after I move.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnabon View Post
I'll be sure to wear my suit of armor when leaving Sugarhouse to keep the big bad Mormons at bay.

I don't understand why you have such a hard time accepting that not everyone who moves there has the same sort of problems you've had. In fact, most people don't, based on this forum, and for me based on the opinions of dozens of people I've spoken to from all over who love living there. At this point it doesn't even seem like you are trying to be helpful. You are so bitter - I don't know what your agenda is.

Last edited by lemon&lime; 06-11-2008 at 12:24 PM..

Old 06-11-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catrinac View Post
I understand cinnabon that you need to believe that you will love living here and I genuinely hope you do. I am trying to help you and others who might read this forum to consider a different viewpoint. Yes my experience in Salt Lake has been quite embittering. And no it is not the Mormons. I have repeatedly mentioned that I have witnessedd rude and off putting behavior all over town, not just in areas where the Mormons live. I had a negative experience this morning, in fact, at the Whole Foods on 4th south, an area that is supposedly "liberal" and friendly. I continue to document my experience on these boards because I feel it is important to do so. The image Salt Lake would like to build for itself of being open, friendly, and welcoming is simply not valid. Compared to other areas I have lived, which include Portland, Oregon; various areas of Texas (Midland, Corpus Christi, Austin and the hill country); and Albuquerque, New Mexico, Salt Lake is the rudest, most off putting and screwed up place I have ever been. People on this forum have written to me privately to thank me for sharing my experience and have agreed with what I've said. But that is beside the point. If you go over to the New Mexico and Albuquerque boards there is plenty of pro and con discussion and even some bitter bashers. Everything I've read on the ABQ board is true! It isn't the perfect place for everyone and has some definite flaws. So does Salt Lake. Deal with it.
I don't need to believe anything. I am not locked into this, I can go anywhere in the country I want to go. For me, the pros far outweigh the cons & yes I know there are cons.

I don't hear anyone saying it's perfect - I think we all know that no place is. But I know for a fact that there is a lot more rudeness where I live now - an overcrowded, overpriced metropolitan area, one of the worst in the country. So for me, in that sense I am not simply deluding myself that SLC will be better. It will. I was there for 10 days, all over SLC area from Sandy on up. I was almost freaked out by the "niceness" I experienced everywhere I went. This experience was echoed by my brother, a travel writer who has lived all over the place, currently in Portland OR, and spent the last 10 years in ABQ and Sante Fe. He has spent a lot of time in SLC and Park City, and he was the one who suggested I look into SLC as a place to live.

This board is about airing opinions on places, and if you're really trying to help, that's great. But you are coming off as if you have some personal vendetta against the place. You have said yourself that you have made no effort to make friends or fit in, after several years of living there. No wonder you are miserable. If you walk around with an expectation of being treated like garbage, then that is what you'll experience. I don't doubt that there are rude people around, just like anywhere else, but at this point you seem to be playing a big part in your own torment.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:46 PM

What a disagreeable, uncompassionate, judgemental thing to say to a total stranger. You will fit in quite well in Salt Lake, cinnabon.

p.s. I just got more rep points from someone who thanked me for once again sharing my insights about Utah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnabon View Post
This board is about airing opinions on places, and if you're really trying to help, that's great. But you are coming off as if you have some personal vendetta against the place. You have said yourself that you have made no effort to make friends or fit in, after several years of living there. No wonder you are miserable. If you walk around with an expectation of being treated like garbage, then that is what you'll experience. I don't doubt that there are rude people around, just like anywhere else, but at this point you seem to be playing a big part in your own torment.

Old 06-11-2008, 04:35 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,058,962 times
Now Now gang....remember the rules of posting, no personal attacks....

If I may make some attempt at mediation, I think (correct me if I'm wrong) Catrinac is saying is that SLC has a large LDS Republican base, and that it is a city known for outdoor activities that would be prone to attracting type "A" mesomorphic sports minded individuals of "jocks" if you will...

Although outgoing and friendly, both these populations can be a little callous to the nuances and feelings of others, and do not tend to be the most introspective people....as a whole, exceptions will exiist of course.

I dare say for every one person that moves to SLC for the Opera and Tabernacle Choir, twenty go for the skiing, hiking, etc.... 20 to 1 ratio.

Discussing the differences between Rational Emotive and Gestalt therapy, or the Avante Garde in 1920's Paris with these populations can prove challenging, and their behavior can oft times be construed as rude, although they may not intend to be.....

Old 06-11-2008, 05:40 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,132,872 times
This is in regards to Catrina's experience here...

Quote:
In fact, most people don't, based on this forum, and for me based on the opinions of dozens of people I've spoken to from all over who love living there.
I love Utah. LOVE it. I can't believe hords of people on the E coast are flooding Fla and the Carolinas when they could come here!!

But...

My family moved from NY down south after I graduated high school. Everyone, yes EVERYone, had positive things to say. Loved the people, the town, the weather. blahblahblah.

I have never been treated so rudely by so many people before or since. It was like My Cousin Vinny. Culture shock from hell. Even visiting there now, I would think "maybe I'm just remembering the worst", and then I visit, and NOPE it was all true. They hated my Yankee-<Deleted>. Rude rude people who sounded sweet as pie when they announced to me that yankees are arrogant and demanding, and then refused to serve me/sell me a car/give me a ride home. It took me 6 months to get a job, and then I was hired by a foriegner and a fellow NY-er.

So I can kinda relate to Catrina here...though I too am one of those people she is warning against. Utah is fabulous, people are truley wonderful. But you can't like everyone...and as she is saying about region personalities, I suppose Utah isn't going to like everyone either.

Last edited by coolcats; 06-11-2008 at 09:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area