Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2024, 08:14 AM

5,774 posts, read 4,153,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
If anything, consolidation of schools have meant less in terms of school taxes for many Southern counties. It may come down to how it is done(i.e.-needing less staff or initial closing facilities, etc.), but when they started to go the county school district route, they saw how their taxes were reduced. That would be a tough sell to many up here based on "identity" or whatever other sentiment, but ironically, they will also complain about how high their taxes are and move to those said states/places with a county school district set up. That is what I'm referring to, not all of this other stuff that you are going on about.

/[/url]
If you'll notice, I stated "Rochester", not a southern state that most likely doesn't have unions. If anything, they should break up the school districts, where more locals, not politicians, can get involved, and yes feel some identity, which also means pride. It's always better to bring governments closer to the decision makers, not far away impenetrable beaurocracies.

So you describe lowering costs (so maybe parents can feed their own kids in their own home), and actually TEACHING basic life information as "all this stuff I'm going about"? Wow, Wow, Wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2024, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post

One last thing.....you hear about these school breakfast and lunch programs, because as the educators proclaim, "a child can't properly learn, if they're hungry". If you can't afford to properly feed and clothe your children, then why are you bringing them into the world?? Why should the general, taxpaying population, be responsible to raise someone else's children??
I'll never forget one of my teachers used to say "in a nutshell" to put a thought in a few simple words.

Old 02-20-2024, 08:31 AM

This reminds me of "The Rents To Damn High" guy who ran for governor previously.

For those still unclear how it works:

1-parents can't afford to feed their kids

2-raise taxes even more so the schools can feed them

3-now you can't afford to eat so you get SNAP

4-landlord, who pays for the SNAP benefits raises rent

5-now tenant can't afford rent and goes on Section 8

6-landlord is forced to raise the rent again

7-tenant can't afford heat and applies for benefits

8-landlord raises rent again

9-the trend continues

Old 02-20-2024, 08:33 AM

93,974 posts, read 124,785,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
If you'll notice, I stated "Rochester", not a southern state that most likely doesn't have unions. If anything, they should break up the school districts, where more locals, not politicians, can get involved, and yes feel some identity, which also means pride. It's always better to bring governments closer to the decision makers, not far away impenetrable beaurocracies.

So you describe lowering costs (so maybe parents can feed their own kids in their own home), and actually TEACHING basic life information as "all this stuff I'm going about"? Wow, Wow, Wow.
Yes, because this is the usual let go off topic about the same statements.

Again, my point is about how other states have gone to school consolidation, which has played a part in lowering taxes. That's all...Not about unions, which is not true, as there are teachers unions in many of those states(only 5 states don't allow collective bargaining for teachers(NC, SC, AL, TX and GA), but they still have unions).

Also, that "pride" can get in the way of lowering costs. So, that is why I said that it is ironic how people will want lower taxes, but let that "pride" get in the way of doing so and then, will move to a place with a set up that they denied or didn't want in NY.

Old 02-20-2024, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Yes, because this is the usual let go off topic about the same statements.

Again, my point is about how other states have gone to school consolidation, which has played a part in lowering taxes. That's all...Not about unions, which is not true, as there are teachers unions in many of those states(only 5 states don't allow collective bargaining for teachers(NC, SC, AL, TX and GA), but they still have unions).

Also, that "pride" can get in the way of lowering costs. So, that is why I said that it is ironic how people will want lower taxes, but let that "pride" get in the way of doing so and then, will move to a place with a set up that they denied or didn't want in NY.
You sound like a broken record-consolidation- what a shame your school didn't teach you how to think. There's hundred's of ways to cut cost, but you have to want to, first.

No, pride in your school will get citizens involved and even volunteer. You certainly will know exactly what is going on, which you don't know now. Schools have zero reason for being so large. When people can home school, and get the job done, what is the justification of central school districts?

Old 02-20-2024, 09:07 AM

Quote:
You sound like a broken record-consolidation- what a shame your school didn't teach you how to think. There's hundred's of ways to cut cost, but you have to want to, first.

No, pride in your school will get citizens involved and even volunteer. You certainly will know exactly what is going on, which you don't know now. Schools have zero reason for being so large. When people can home school, and get the job done, what is the justification of central school districts?
Yeah, let's resort to insults and not read what was posted. Again, if school taxes make up the biggest portion of property taxes and other states have found a way to consolidate in a way to keep taxes lower, perhaps that is something people should consider. Again, that is the point.

Anyway, this is so far off topic, which seem to occur with the rehashing of the same old same old.

Old 02-20-2024, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Yeah, let's resort to insults and not read what was posted. Again, if school taxes make up the biggest portion of property taxes and other states have found a way to consolidate in a way to keep taxes lower, perhaps that is something people should consider. Again, that is the point.

Anyway, this is so far off topic, which seem to occur with the rehashing of the same old same old.
This is the subject that you posted.

It's the same old same old, and after years of observation, because you always advocate on the side of spending more, which is unsustainable and I'm on the side of investing wisely.

As an example, and something you didn't mention to cut is the say yes to education. It's an add on to public education. Who knows how many others there are to band aid the terrible job teachers did. Completely unnecessary in a well functioning school. Please don't say there's no cost.

Old 02-20-2024, 11:12 AM

Quote:
This is the subject that you posted.

It's the same old same old, and after years of observation, because you always advocate on the side of spending more, which is unsustainable and I'm on the side of investing wisely.

As an example, and something you didn't mention to cut is the say yes to education. It's an add on to public education. Who knows how many others there are to band aid the terrible job teachers did. Completely unnecessary in a well functioning school. Please don't say there's no cost.
Actually, you always take the conversation to the same place, instead of staying on topic. The topic is about the show topics like the reassessments and more.

You just make assumptions and down right aren't reading what I'm saying. If anything, I'm referring to consolidation as a way to reduce costs/taxes, which I've been saying for YEARS on this forum.

Say Yes to Education is not an add on. It is a non profit organization that offers last resort(for lack of a better term) scholarships in Syracuse and Buffalo, as well as some other areas. If anything, it allows for students that may have the grades, but can't go to college the opportunity to go, which isn't likely the case for many suburban school districts. At least read what is posted or about the things you bring up first, as this is why these back and forth conversations go on way longer than they should. It doesn't make sense to talk about schools not focusing on reading and you aren't doing it in terms of the thread.

Again, to bring this thread back on topic or at least in relation to the topics mentioned on the show, here is more about the reassessment situation.

News10NBC Investigates: Here’s how the city did its historic reassessment and why 60% is the sweet spot: https://www.whec.com/top-news/news10...he-sweet-spot/

A key piece of the segment: "Berkeley Brean: “Could you pump the breaks for a couple of years?”
Enza Mineo: “Is the market going to pump its breaks?… I speak for myself; I don’t think we realized ourselves the magnitude of this change and how people would be affected because it was such a huge change. But here we are and it’s still has to be done and delaying it is not going to make it better.”

The rule of thumb is if assessments go up, tax rates go down. (key word rates, as that doesn't mean that taxes themselves go down)

The city budget director says if the reassessment stays the same and the city collects the same amount of money – and the city’s tax levy has remained flat for the last four years – the tax rate could go down 37 percent."

Old 02-20-2024, 02:38 PM

6,542 posts, read 3,217,300 times
Quote:
This reminds me of "The Rents Too Damn High" guy who ran for governor previously.

9-the trend continues

"In a nutshell"....................

Old 02-22-2024, 01:27 AM

1,892 posts, read 3,465,488 times
Quote:
This reminds me of "The Rents To Damn High" guy who ran for governor previously.

9-the trend continues
10-NY and other states declare "emergencies", so renters don't have to pay rent, screwing over the landlord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area