Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2021, 01:43 PM

84 posts, read 94,132 times

Advertisements

Questions:

1) A lot of cities and towns have different sections with different reputations. Like there might be a "bad part of town" or the "artsy district" or the most prestigious section of town... I'd like to know this kind of info about Canandaigua. Is there a "bad part of town"? How is the area near the hospital - would it be a nice safe place to live?

2) I understand that Skaneateles has the cleanest water of all the Finger Lakes. Is Keuka the second cleanest followed by Canandaigua? Is Canandaigua good for swimming (in terms of water quality)?

3) Does Canandaigua get really crowded during the summer months or is it pretty quiet year-round?

4) If I prefer a condo or townhome and want to be able to swim in the lake, is Canandaigua my best bet in the Fingerlakes or is there another town that would also meet that criteria (has condos or townhomes and near a lake that's good for swimming)? Naples seems like a good location but I don't see listings for condos. Hammondsport apparently only has that one condo complex where units are $700,000. I guess Penn Yan might have a couple complexes? Seems like Canandaigua probably has the most options. Saw some in Farmington too, not sure if that area would feel too far removed from the Finger Lakes.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2021, 03:34 PM

93,176 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer81 View Post
Questions:

1) A lot of cities and towns have different sections with different reputations. Like there might be a "bad part of town" or the "artsy district" or the most prestigious section of town... I'd like to know this kind of info about Canandaigua. Is there a "bad part of town"? How is the area near the hospital - would it be a nice safe place to live?

2) I understand that Skaneateles has the cleanest water of all the Finger Lakes. Is Keuka the second cleanest followed by Canandaigua? Is Canandaigua good for swimming (in terms of water quality)?

3) Does Canandaigua get really crowded during the summer months or is it pretty quiet year-round?

4) If I prefer a condo or townhome and want to be able to swim in the lake, is Canandaigua my best bet in the Fingerlakes or is there another town that would also meet that criteria (has condos or townhomes and near a lake that's good for swimming)? Naples seems like a good location but I don't see listings for condos. Hammondsport apparently only has that one condo complex where units are $700,000. I guess Penn Yan might have a couple complexes? Seems like Canandaigua probably has the most options. Saw some in Farmington too, not sure if that area would feel too far removed from the Finger Lakes.

Thank you!
I'll just touch on 1 and 4, as I believe there is a poster on here that grew up there that could offer more specific information(if they still view the forum). As for 1, no and if there is, it is REALLY tucked away.

As for 4, I'd say that in terms of Finger lakes communities, Ithaca appears to be the other place to look into for a condo or townhome.

Hopefully, others will chime in with more specific information.

Old 10-28-2021, 07:49 AM

5,672 posts, read 4,081,937 times
Quote:
Questions:

Thank you!
I would say the most prestigious part of town would be the lakeshore. Mostly the west side, where there are millionaires and billionaires. There are condos on the north side of the lake

Old 10-28-2021, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Questions:

Thank you!
In terms of the highlighted community, this may be a housing option worth looking into: https://suttoncos.com/rental/seitz-building/

These are further out in the town: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...,-76.201874,12

With that said, Canandaigua is bigger and has more in the immediate area.

Old 10-28-2021, 10:58 AM

5,672 posts, read 4,081,937 times
This just popped up, and Ontario County is included. (Canandaigua)
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/real...=U531#image=10

IDK if you're looking to retire, BTW

Old 10-28-2021, 03:20 PM

Good idea to include Skaneateles and its outskirts in my search. It's a lovely place, although that lake seems the least accessible for swimming. I don't necessarily need a beach in order to swim though - I like to paddle board and hop off wherever I want to swim then get back on to paddle more, so if there is a way to launch a paddle board then I have a way to swim. (Although I don't know if swimming is frowned upon in Skaneateles Lake since it's the water source for the whole Syracuse area?)

I want to buy, not rent, and it looks like I can probably get more for my money in Canandaigua as opposed to Skaneateles.

For the past 10 years we've done a summer vacation on or near Keuka Lake. The first few times we just stayed a week, the past several years we've stayed a month. The idea we're exploring now is instead of summer trips to Keuka we'd love to spend most of the year in the Finger Lakes and take winter trips to warm climates.

Old 10-29-2021, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Good idea to include Skaneateles and its outskirts in my search. It's a lovely place, although that lake seems the least accessible for swimming. I don't necessarily need a beach in order to swim though - I like to paddle board and hop off wherever I want to swim then get back on to paddle more, so if there is a way to launch a paddle board then I have a way to swim. (Although I don't know if swimming is frowned upon in Skaneateles Lake since it's the water source for the whole Syracuse area?)

I want to buy, not rent, and it looks like I can probably get more for my money in Canandaigua as opposed to Skaneateles.

For the past 10 years we've done a summer vacation on or near Keuka Lake. The first few times we just stayed a week, the past several years we've stayed a month. The idea we're exploring now is instead of summer trips to Keuka we'd love to spend most of the year in the Finger Lakes and take winter trips to warm climates.
It is the source for the city, but I believe some parts of the area gets its water from Lake Ontario as well. People do go into Skaneateles Lake. Here is some more information: https://nyfalls.com/lakes/finger-lakes/skaneateles/

Yes, Canandaigua has a nice range of options, along with just being a bigger community. More information about Canandaigua Lake: https://nyfalls.com/lakes/finger-lakes/canandaigua/

Here's a good guide, which also includes some lakes just outside of the Finger Lakes: https://nyfalls.com/lakes/finger-lakes/

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-29-2021 at 01:22 PM..

Old 10-29-2021, 01:23 PM

Also, are there certain things that you are looking for in a community or neighborhood?

Old 10-29-2021, 03:30 PM

I enjoyed reading through the info in the links provided - thank you!

I am very curious about water quality and swimming in Canandaigua, Conesus, and Honeoye lakes. The only Finger Lake I've been in is Keuka. I'm guessing swimming is forbidden in Hemlock and Canadice?

When I look at Finger Lakes real estate I am so drawn to the old homes (like 1800s - early 1940s) that maybe need a little work but have amazing character. However, because we travel sometimes for 1-3 months at a time I think a grand old home probably isn't the best choice - I'd feel uncomfortable leaving it empty for extended periods, a lot can go wrong. A condo or townhome will probably work best for our situation (I have my eye on a complex with units in a historic building...)

What I am looking for in a community is I want to feel like I'm living in civilization - which for me mostly means I want convenient access to high quality groceries, where instacart and grubhub actually deliver. Feeling safe when I go for my daily walk is extremely important to me. I want beautiful scenery including historic buildings and homes. Close to a lake where I can swim and paddle board. Would like to find a quiet condo or townhome complex where residents are respectful. And I hate to bring up subjects that are controversial but I would like to live somewhere covid is taken more seriously than it is in Florida. I understand many people do not feel that way but that is my personal preference.

Old 10-29-2021, 03:58 PM

Quote:
I enjoyed reading through the info in the links provided - thank you!

I am very curious about water quality and swimming in Canandaigua, Conesus, and Honeoye lakes. The only Finger Lake I've been in is Keuka. I'm guessing swimming is forbidden in Hemlock and Canadice?

When I look at Finger Lakes real estate I am so drawn to the old homes (like 1800s - early 1940s) that maybe need a little work but have amazing character. However, because we travel sometimes for 1-3 months at a time I think a grand old home probably isn't the best choice - I'd feel uncomfortable leaving it empty for extended periods, a lot can go wrong. A condo or townhome will probably work best for our situation (I have my eye on a complex with units in a historic building...)

What I am looking for in a community is I want to feel like I'm living in civilization - which for me mostly means I want convenient access to high quality groceries, where instacart and grubhub actually deliver. Feeling safe when I go for my daily walk is extremely important to me. I want beautiful scenery including historic buildings and homes. Close to a lake where I can swim and paddle board. Would like to find a quiet condo or townhome complex where residents are respectful. And I hate to bring up subjects that are controversial but I would like to live somewhere covid is taken more seriously than it is in Florida. I understand many people do not feel that way but that is my personal preference.
No problem...I would definitely say that Canandaigua is a good choice and would fit what you are looking for. It is still close enough to shopping in Victor and Rochester isn't much further away. It has a medical center, a Wegmans and a nice, walkable Downtown.

With Skaneateles, it is a nice, walkable community, but besides being smaller, it has condos outside of the village. However, it is in the same county as Syracuse and Auburn is only about 5-7 miles away, with its shopping on Grant Avenue and a Downtown Wegmans. Camillus, a western suburb of Syracuse, also has a lot of shopping.

After that, Ithaca is a walkable, smaller city with quite a bit for its size. It also has plenty of shopping in Lansing, a suburb just north of the city and on Elmira Road(Wegmans, other big box stores, etc.) in the SW portion of the city. It is known for being more on the "liberal" side, just to let you know, but the area has a range of folks(politically, culturally, etc.).

This is just for the places in the region that are showing condos/townhomes for sale right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area