Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2023, 05:00 PM

2 posts, read 1,959 times

Advertisements

I am debating whether or not to get a place in a 55+ community. The pluses are: I like the town (New Kent); it is convenient to both Williamsburg & Richmond; I can afford it; it is new.
The negatives are: it is 55+ only; if something should happen, none of my kids could stay with me (they are in their early to mid 20s); is there a good resale value to a 55+ community?

My other option I am looking at is a new community in the 23223 zip code. I have read that is not a good area; however, I did drive to where they are building the townhomes and that neighborhood is nice. I just did not like the drive into the neighborhood from Nine Mile Rd & Laburnum.

Any thoughts are appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2023, 05:26 PM

4,238 posts, read 2,551,084 times
One of the unknowns is how these communities will do long term. Is the 55+ community idea here to stay or just for this generation? I'm old and still live in a single home. As my neighbors die off, not an exaggeration, young families are moving in and renovating them to fit a more modern lifestyle.

As for kids staying; I wonder how that would be handled under ADA; would a "reasonable" accommodation be having a child or other help stay there if under 55?

Old 11-20-2023, 07:31 AM

13,146 posts, read 21,095,923 times
You need to read the terms of the lease/purchase as under the law, communities that are simply "age restricted" can not totally prohibit occupants under 55. There is a common 80/20 rules that says so long as 80% of the occupants are over 55, the remainder can be below. There is also the "guest" rule that prohibits restrictions on short term related guest. It's important to understand the age basis for these as it is allowed to limit additional "occupants" to an age range such as above 18, or above 40, etc., but it has to be spelled out in advance and can not change during your term of occupancy.

Old 11-20-2023, 09:26 AM

19,301 posts, read 17,179,191 times
I can only say that the 55+ community next to my neighborhood west of Richmond has robust sales and quick turn around of any property that comes to market. New Kent is somewhat removed and Laburnum/Nine Mile shopping corridors are not the most appealing to many but it would be no different if you lived in an all ages community.

I would suggest doing some online research of crime rates for any area you are considering and judge accordingly, good luck.

Old 11-26-2023, 10:15 PM

3 posts, read 2,117 times
I agree with Webster- the 55+ only housing market is an unknown. I'm in my 50's and have lived in my single family home over 12 years. Our neighborhood has many multi generational families sharing households. We've seen people sell their homes when serious illness strikes and move to where family is or cheaper, sunnier locales. Wishing you success.

Old 12-10-2023, 05:23 AM

12,055 posts, read 6,602,779 times
This is the 55+ I hearing that everyone loves. It has a vibrant community — large farm to table garden, gym, pool, and close to medical and shopping. It looks upscale so not sure if it’s in your price range.

https://chickahominyfalls.com/?gclid...0aAn7gEALw_wcB

Old 12-10-2023, 02:21 PM

19,301 posts, read 17,179,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
This is the 55+ I hearing that everyone loves. It has a vibrant community — large farm to table garden, gym, pool, and close to medical and shopping. It looks upscale so not sure if it’s in your price range.

Oh its expensive, the hospital is about 15 minutes away same as most places in the region and shopping is close. The big negative is they placed an enormous distribution center across the street so you have all that tractor trailer traffic, it was pretty stinky of them to rezone for that warehouse across from the community.

You can see it here https://maps.app.goo.gl/bZrUYqhY4278pYLy6

Old 12-10-2023, 04:06 PM

4,238 posts, read 2,551,084 times
As folks age, many, perhaps most want a smaller home; these are large for two people, enormous for one.

Old 12-12-2023, 04:29 PM

12,055 posts, read 6,602,779 times
Yikes — didn’t know about that warehouse and distribution center!

OP — you stated 55+ plus communities. But if you are open to independent living in a CCRC, there is a lovely well-run one in Mechanicsville called Covenant Woods. Housing goes from small inexpensive studio apartments, one and two bedroom apartments and cottages ranging in sq ft up to 2,100 with yards and garages.
There’s three restaurants and tons of amenities and activities plus 90 acres of hiking trails with a five acre fishing pond and a large farm to table garden with community plots. Plus a huge totally stocked woodworking shop.
It’s only about five miles from a large hospital (Bon Secqours) and very near shopping.

https://www.covenantwoods.com/commun...fe/#campus-map

More info
https://www.covenantwoods.com/

Old 12-17-2023, 02:19 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,441,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post

I don’t know this community but do see at least half of it is build by Cornerstone. I live in a Cornerstone 55+ community and absolutely love it for the neighbors and activities we have available. BUT….. check to see how Cornerstone is handling construction. Do they have their own construction teams or hire out? How far behind is delivery? Also check covenants to see if everything they promised is covered in the paperwork. Power washing was promised and they did do it, especially during construction but once the HOA is turned over there is no “right” to it much less money in a budget for it. You can also pretty much guarantee with ANY builder that once they turn over the HOA to the community the dues will go up. As I said, I LOVE where I live. Just go into it with open eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond