Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 11:32 AM

4,378 posts, read 3,191,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Actually, the premise may be faulty- that RI is no 2.
The internet slideshow cited by the OP is by "healthgrove" and does not give a source of data.

These stats from cancer.gov do not show RI as no. 2.
State Cancer Profiles
I notice this list is age adjusted. That may explain the discrepancy because RI and the Northeastern states also have the highest longevities, and it seems reasonable to expect that the likelihood of cancer grows as life grows longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2016, 02:25 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,539,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
I notice this list is age adjusted. That may explain the discrepancy because RI and the Northeastern states also have the highest longevities, and it seems reasonable to expect that the likelihood of cancer grows as life grows longer.

Yes, that could be true. There are so many variables, but a very important one is genetic disposition to certain cancers. e.g. Women with history of BrCA in the family should get genetically tested of which just about 90% of the fee is covered by most insurance. A consultation with a geneticist and a quick draw of blood is all it takes. There are some excellent doctors currently at Women & Infants Breast Health Center who specialize in this.

Old 04-02-2016, 03:32 PM

23,548 posts, read 18,693,959 times
Quote:
If it's controlled for age then shouldn't that make longevity irrelevant? Even if you break it down by age group, it stays pretty consistent.

Old 04-02-2016, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
If it's controlled for age then shouldn't that make longevity irrelevant?
Yes, or less relevant anyway, which may be why RI was not number 2 on the age adjusted study.

Old 04-02-2016, 09:01 PM

120 posts, read 235,233 times
I actually work at a cancer lab in Boston, but grew up in RI and if I remember from my lectures on this back in college, I believe that one of the reasons why there are higher incidence of some of these types of cancers in RI (memory escapes me which types, it was one of the rarer types) was because of the jewelry/textiles factories in the state.

Old 04-03-2016, 02:52 PM

23,548 posts, read 18,693,959 times
Quote:
Yes, or less relevant anyway, which may be why RI was not number 2 on the age adjusted study.
It still comes in at #8 age adjusted. That map shows similar trends across states in comparison to the other study.

I did find it interesting that S County has the highest incidence in RI.

Old 04-04-2016, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
It still comes in at #8 age adjusted. That map shows similar trends across states in comparison to the other study.

I did find it interesting that S County has the highest incidence in RI.
More radon? I was told by my realtor that he'd never seen radon testing turn up a problem in the Cranston/Providence area, but that it was typically more a South County problem.

Old 04-04-2016, 05:53 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,539,434 times
Quote:
More radon? I was told by my realtor that he'd never seen radon testing turn up a problem in the Cranston/Providence area, but that it was typically more a South County problem.

Just because a Realtor hasn't heard of high radon presence in certain areas doesn't mean anything. A house can have a high radon reading one day, and the next day be normal. Or, the radon can has been compromised -- yes, it happens. People turn on ceiling fans, open windows, etc.

Your Realtor should not make blanket statements like that.

Old 04-04-2016, 06:07 AM

3,781 posts, read 2,693,466 times
Quote:
There's a map at the EPA of Radon levels by county, which seems to corroborate what your real estate agent said. However, County Level resolution probably isn't all that useful. Localized geological features can concentrate radon locally, for instance.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:47 AM

1,586 posts, read 2,148,148 times
I could be remembering this wrong, but I believe that Kent County has the highest average radon levels in the state. Washington County is definitely No. 2. The maps put both at the same level, but I seem to recall hearing somewhere that Kent is somewhat higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
View detailed profiles of: