Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 10:08 AM

3,784 posts, read 2,687,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
The next step is the NEPA environmental permitting process, which includes public involvement and development of design alternatives. This is expected to take a year. I have heard RIDOT received only one response to the RFP, and it isn't a firm that has been involved in the project to date.

Outline of the schedule here - RI.gov: RIDOT Issuing Contracts to Set RhodeWorks into Motion
Quote:
Originally Posted by IaminRI View Post
RIDOT is having Public workshop meetings for the 6/10 plans. The first one is 4/7.

There is a copy of the schedule and release posted here:
* * * * *RIDOT ANNOUNCES PUBLIC WORKSHOPS**FOR 6-10 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * INTERCHANGE DESIGN OPTIONS - The Coalition

I personally favor the flat Boulevard design, dump the 95 on-ramp at the end because that will help fix that bottle neck where 95/6-10/146/State offices exchange cluster. Just direct the traffic to 95 ramps on the other end of route 10.
I heard there was some kerfuffle at the "workshop" last night, with Peter Alviti accusing some members of the public of trying to "hijack" the public feedback meeting. Said members were apparently in favor of the boulevard-only plan, which RIDOT apparently does not favor. So much for listening to feedback!

There's also a buzz that these workshops are just smoke and mirrors to give the impression that RIDOT is looking for public input. The workshops are scheduled in the next few days, until April 13, while RIDOT has to submit an application to the Federal government for a FASTLANE grant by April 14. This has people questioning how they will incorporate public feedback into the grant proposal literally overnight. Given the lack of transparency by the Raimondo administration so far, this just fuels the fire.

Maybe they can incorporate the public input after they make the application to the Feds, or maybe the public workshops are a PR sham.

Last edited by ormari; 04-08-2016 at 10:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 10:48 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,181,111 times
As far as I know, the NEPA contract hasn't even been awarded yet. The selected consultant will be conducting its own public meetings and developing more specifics on alternatives; the formal scoping and public involvement process hasn't even begun.

Old 04-08-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
As far as I know, the NEPA contract hasn't even been awarded yet. The selected consultant will be conducting its own public meetings and developing more specifics on alternatives; the formal scoping and public involvement process hasn't even begun.
I am sure you are right. After all the link you give above says it is a one year process. You certainly are more knowledgeable on this than I am. But there is a certain contingent who thinks "the fix is in", as always...

Old 04-11-2016, 02:28 PM

46 posts, read 41,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
I heard there was some kerfuffle at the "workshop" last night, with Peter Alviti accusing some members of the public of trying to "hijack" the public feedback meeting. Said members were apparently in favor of the boulevard-only plan, which RIDOT apparently does not favor. So much for listening to feedback!

There's also a buzz that these workshops are just smoke and mirrors to give the impression that RIDOT is looking for public input. The workshops are scheduled in the next few days, until April 13, while RIDOT has to submit an application to the Federal government for a FASTLANE grant by April 14. This has people questioning how they will incorporate public feedback into the grant proposal literally overnight. Given the lack of transparency by the Raimondo administration so far, this just fuels the fire.

Maybe they can incorporate the public input after they make the application to the Feds, or maybe the public workshops are a PR sham.

There is an article on RI Future ( 6/10 project, and other things that remind me of Buddy Cianci ) that paints Johnston Mayor Polisena pretty negatively. He seems to be talking seconds about rescue runs even though he was the mayor who was going to cut mutual aid to Providence because he didn't think Johnston was getting paid for runs to Providence. Seconds count when it suits him apparently.

Old 04-11-2016, 05:42 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,054,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IaminRI View Post
RIDOT is having Public workshop meetings for the 6/10 plans. The first one is 4/7.

There is a copy of the schedule and release posted here:
* * * * *RIDOT ANNOUNCES PUBLIC WORKSHOPS**FOR 6-10 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * INTERCHANGE DESIGN OPTIONS - The Coalition

I personally favor the flat Boulevard design, dump the 95 on-ramp at the end because that will help fix that bottle neck where 95/6-10/146/State offices exchange cluster. Just direct the traffic to 95 ramps on the other end of route 10.
the flat blvd design does not negate the current ramp setup at the Civic Center. those ramps remain with vehicles going to and fro from I-95 onto the blvd as they currently do. The blvd design will add traffic lights that could easily back traffic onto 95 and local streets. The traffic numbers used were 53,000 cars from Route 6; 97,000 cars between Route 6 and the Civic Center; and 87,000 cars between Route 6 and I-95 in Cranston.

I think they underestimated the number of cars heading north on Route 10 looking to head west on Route 6. They used a figure of 4,500 cars which they say currently go thru the streets of Olneyville and Broadway to go to Route 6 west. Once they connect 10 north and 6 west the numbers will greatly increase and there will be back up with the hybrid design RIDOT is in favor with.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:27 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,588,101 times
Just a huge handout to the contruction co's.. 400 million + 400 million matching
when the real job to fix the bridges would cost a mere fraction of that.
Nothing has to be torn down and rebuilt. All seven bridges can be refurbished.

As always, the construction co's and unions will share the booty with the
state officials. Yes, I mean that literally.
The bank loaning to the state makes millions for doing nothing,
and the state's debt continues to balloon towards 15 Billion.

I would like to see a chart of RI's debt over time. It's hard to find this information.
State website only has past budgets back to 2001. I distrinctly remember when
RI had a total debt of about 600 million dollars and that was thought to be a lot.
Now we're 20 times that.
Hey, what does it matter, everyone "eats", right ?

Old 04-12-2016, 01:43 PM

23,571 posts, read 18,678,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
I think they underestimated the number of cars heading north on Route 10 looking to head west on Route 6. They used a figure of 4,500 cars which they say currently go thru the streets of Olneyville and Broadway to go to Route 6 west. Once they connect 10 north and 6 west the numbers will greatly increase and there will be back up with the hybrid design RIDOT is in favor with.
I figure most of that traffic will instead use 37 and 295.

Old 04-12-2016, 04:43 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,054,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I figure most of that traffic will instead use 37 and 295.
that is what we do now, but if the interchange is done many will choose the 10 N to 6 W route to get to Johnston or points west. Routes 37 and 295 can become nightmares at commute times. Those coming from the hospital complex will choose 6 N and 10 w rather that go thru the city both on local streets or 95 to 6/10 S

Old 04-14-2016, 03:55 PM

I thought this was interesting:

What’s Really In Your Best Interest? James Kennedy Moving Together 6/10 Boulevard | The Current-Anchor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island