Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 01:40 AM

496 posts, read 552,842 times

Advertisements

The snoring thread prompted me to ask this question. OP refers to "old retired turds."

Why do so many people use disgusting fecal terms for Old people?They even say it about themselves. I've heard people in their 40's refer to themselves as "old farts."

Understand, it's not the crudeness of the terms that offends me. I laugh at a funny bathroom joke same as the next guy. What bugs me is the underlying sense that Old people are being compared, and comparing themselves, to bodily functions. No other group that I know of, does this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 01:51 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,483,397 times
I have also heard "old coot" and "old goat" which may have other meanings.

Mostly I hear "old fart", used by older folks themselves. Perhaps some of this was inspired by Katherine Hepburn in the film "On Golden Pond" where she calls her husband an "old poop".

Have also heard some parents refer to their kids as "little shyt" - so we are not alone!

Old 01-24-2016, 03:34 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,182,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourown2feet View Post
The snoring thread prompted me to ask this question. OP refers to "old retired turds."

Why do so many people use disgusting fecal terms for Old people?They even say it about themselves. I've heard people in their 40's refer to themselves as "old farts."

Understand, it's not the crudeness of the terms that offends me. I laugh at a funny bathroom joke same as the next guy. What bugs me is the underlying sense that Old people are being compared, and comparing themselves, to bodily functions. No other group that I know of, does this.
I think it is a measure of the depth of fear of ageing. We all know where ageing ends, and that's what literally frightens the crap out of people. Thus, to be old is to be in the toilet.

When people in their forties use it about themselves, I don't feel they do really expect (or want) to be believed. It is a kind of ironical self-reference that everyone is expected to snort at....though it hints at the fear that is there.

We have been raised in a delusional society that has moved ageing from a demanding process of natural changes to a filthy and abominable evil, and now - judging from the desperate verbal contortions and many delusional threads on C-D, old age no longer really exists.

Old 01-24-2016, 04:47 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
I find that, personally, someone calling someone older "young man" or "young lady" much more insulting.

That hasn't happened to me yet since I'm only 61 and look late like late 40s (which is the most common guesstimate made when someone who doesn't know me well finds out I'm retired) but it just grates on me.

When it happens, and it will, I imagine that I'll have to make a decision to just let it go or rip the person a new one.

Old 01-24-2016, 04:58 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,915,057 times
Even in my youth I NEVER used rude terms like that.

The people who use those terms regarding the elderly are every bit as rude and disrespectful in other aspects of their life and they always will be.

Theres a line in a country song about that but since one of the ultra sensitive mods chose to delete one of my posts in another thread for "language" and all I did was use asterisks, I won't quote that line from a famous old country song

Old 01-24-2016, 08:00 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,466,118 times
I wear those labels with pride. Here's my favorite on a street sign:

Old 01-24-2016, 08:12 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,253,680 times
I knew I was officially a geezer when my employer hired a new engineer who had been born after I'd started working there.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:18 AM

17,706 posts, read 29,800,391 times
I proudly call myself an "old fart" because mine smell like roses now that I am on Medicare.

Old 01-24-2016, 09:04 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,346,114 times
I work with older people, 70's-80's and many focus on their bowels. So, I think the poopy shoe fits for many.

Old 01-24-2016, 09:16 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
I don't think old people themselves mind as much as people who care about being politically correct, and they don't care about these terms at all. I've worked in ophthalmics/optometrics/optics for more than a decade, and my patients are mostly elderly. I love the job and enjoy hearing the stories my patients tell me. Yesterday I dispensed a new pair of glasses to a guy in his 70s. I asked him how he thought he looked. He said, "I look like an old man wearing glasses!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement