Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2024, 04:18 PM

3,071 posts, read 1,994,776 times

Advertisements

Are there sites to find rentals from landlords / individual owners rather than large apt complexes / management companies?

Ten years ago, you could use Craigslist, but I'm unsure if it's really a valid, safe site anymore. Do people use online newspaper classifieds anymore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2024, 04:22 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
We advertised ours on facebook marketplace, and in a couple community FB groups.

Old 03-08-2024, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
We advertised ours on facebook marketplace, and in a couple community FB groups.
TY for that. I've never used FB, so I guess it's time to open an account. I'll check it out.

Old 03-08-2024, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
TY for that. I've never used FB, so I guess it's time to open an account. I'll check it out.
It’s become how I know what’s going on in my town. From the big things to the little things. Once you join, do searches on your town name, county name, neighborhood, and you may find several community groups - Ours has several.

Old 03-08-2024, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
It’s become how I know what’s going on in my town. From the big things to the little things. Once you join, do searches on your town name, county name, neighborhood, and you may find several community groups - Ours has several.
TY, good to know.

I was able to pull up FB rentals without having an account. Unfortunately, even though I used search terms "landlords apts for rent", it's only apt complexes that pull up. They're not owned individually... I know as I recognize many of the units. It's too bad that complexes are calling themselves landlords... a bit unfair.

I'll keep checking around.

Old 03-08-2024, 07:28 PM

2,041 posts, read 990,078 times
Also check the Thrifty Nickel/Classifieds weekly paper if your area has one. Check the actual paper, not the website. There is a rental section.

My area/county also has a local classifieds website sponsored by one of the newspapers that people who hate Craigslist and Facebook use. It's free.

Old 03-09-2024, 12:08 PM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I doubt that anyone who is a private landlord or individual owner is going to announce that in an ad. The world is full of scummy people who can't get a rental because they have a criminal record, bad credit, evictions, pitbulls, smoking, alcoholism, drug use, or history of property destruction, and every one of those persons is searching for a private landlord who will just hand over the keys and not do any screening.

Myself, I am a private landlord, but I screen very carefully. You will get a rental from a rental agency before you will get one from me. I can screen out the riff raff, but I do not want to waste my time talking to them, or listening to their stories, lies, and excuses. I would never ever advertise that I am a private landlord. That would bring in hordes of evictees, criminals, and deadbeats who were hoping they could trick me into renting to them.

After thinking about it for a minute, coming back to add, I know many private landlords who introduced themselves as the property manager and do not disclose that they are the owner. There is absolutely nothing good that might come from disclosing that they are the owner.

Old 03-09-2024, 12:47 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,137,507 times
We had some good luck using Zillow when we moved about 18 months ago, but there were some likely scams there as well.

Old 03-09-2024, 05:48 PM

46 posts, read 29,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I doubt that anyone who is a private landlord or individual owner is going to announce that in an ad.

<snip>

After thinking about it for a minute, coming back to add, I know many private landlords who introduced themselves as the property manager and do not disclose that they are the owner. There is absolutely nothing good that might come from disclosing that they are the owner.
I advertise on Zillow/Trulia, but my ad doesn't say I'm an individual owner. I do let prospective tenants know that when I speak to them, because that prevents issues with "emotional support animals." (In my state, landlords are exempt from the Fair Housing Act under certain conditions. Such exceptions include a building with 4 or less units if the owner lives in one of the units; a home rented by an owner who has 3 or fewer rental properties; and a home rented by the owner without the use of a broker.)

After doing this for more than 30 years, I've got a pretty good handle on tenant selection - my longest tenant was with us for 19 years, and the current ones have been with us for six and five years each. I don't listen to sob stories, which helps.

Old 03-09-2024, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
TY, good to know.

I was able to pull up FB rentals without having an account. Unfortunately, even though I used search terms "landlords apts for rent", it's only apt complexes that pull up. They're not owned individually... I know as I recognize many of the units. It's too bad that complexes are calling themselves landlords... a bit unfair.

I'll keep checking around.

Open the search terms up .... search for rental houses and duplexes. I own a rental but would not necessarily use the term "landlord" in my ad text.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting