Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 07:06 AM

19 posts, read 22,863 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am considering a move from Denver to Reno, perhaps Sparks. One major negative that makes me hesitate to move there is the persistent report of very poor water quality there. This report in 2017 actually ranked Reno as the worst tap water in the US: https://bestlifeonline.com/worst-drinking-water/

I would like to ask the locals if there is any effective proven way to filter the water to a safe level at home? How are you coping with this problem? Which part of the city would have better water source?

Speaking of water, is there any threat of shortage of water there? With such an enormous body of fresh water in Lake Tahoe flowing down the Truckee river I would guess there should be no water shortage?

Greatly appreciate your kind replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 10:18 AM

2,611 posts, read 2,882,545 times
I think this has been asked multiple time in the past. If you get the city water, they are really good. The water coming from lake Tahoe and Truckee river which is from snow melt.

https://tmwa.com/article/2017-water-...now-available/

If you are in area that need to get ground water or you have your own well water, it can be bad.

The website that ranks drinking water is a joke.

Multiple North Texas cities are on your list for the worst water quality. Fort Worth is #16, Arlington is #22( Reno is #25 not #1).

Yet in another list, Fort Worth is the #3 and Arlington is #1 best drinking water in the country.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/arli...-big-city-7122

So what list should you trust?

Old 05-17-2018, 11:06 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,753,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livefree00 View Post
Hello,

I am considering a move from Denver to Reno, perhaps Sparks. One major negative that makes me hesitate to move there is the persistent report of very poor water quality there. This report in 2017 actually ranked Reno as the worst tap water in the US: https://bestlifeonline.com/worst-drinking-water/

I would like to ask the locals if there is any effective proven way to filter the water to a safe level at home? How are you coping with this problem? Which part of the city would have better water source?

Speaking of water, is there any threat of shortage of water there? With such an enormous body of fresh water in Lake Tahoe flowing down the Truckee river I would guess there should be no water shortage?

Greatly appreciate your kind replies.
If you're really worried about it just go online and look for home water filters. It's not that hard.

And as mentioned above, Reno was NOT ranked number 1 worst...

Old 05-17-2018, 12:26 PM

The numbering of ranks is confusing in that link, but look at the "dirty water score." The higher the score, the worse.

So regular home water filtering system is enough for Reno water?

So, as long as I get the city water and get a good home filtering system such as osmosis, there is nothing to worry about?

Someone was talking about water shortage problem there. I assume it must be not as bad as Las Vegas given the Lake Tahoe.

Again thank you for your responses.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:06 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,882,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livefree00 View Post
The numbering of ranks is confusing in that link, but look at the "dirty water score." The higher the score, the worse.
I don't even know if the score means. There is no formula for us to verify. The higher score may even mean better water. They have a separate best water list which has essentially same methodology and in that list the higher scores, the better. But in conclusion, how do you trust the article proving you with meaningful info if there is such vague methodology and poor presentation.

TMWA is very good at managing water resources. They even pump water into the underground aquifer duri g abundance water period.

This article also talk about how the water situation is getting better.
https://www.rgj.com/story/news/2015/...iver/32022261/

Old 05-18-2018, 09:55 AM

629 posts, read 543,611 times
the truckee meadows water in Reno is delicious, I love it

if you're super concerned, buy a filter

but that just looks like yet another misleading trashy news article

Old 05-19-2018, 02:21 PM

It looks like the locals are not concerned at all with water issue in Reno/Spark area. That is good to hear since this was one of the major thing that made me hesitate to move there. I will likely install a good home water filtering system anyway. It looks like the complaints of water contaminants making people sick are mainly for individual well waters.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:49 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,966,821 times
I've lived here for 40 years and never had problems with municipal water. I think it tastes better than bottled water. If you have a well, it is no different than anywhere else...take your chances. I have acquired giardia twice from well water here. There is no fluoride in municipal water here, something to consider if you have children. Pediatricians write for fluoridated vitamins to compensate.

Old 05-30-2018, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by utsci View Post
I've lived here for 40 years and never had problems with municipal water. I think it tastes better than bottled water. If you have a well, it is no different than anywhere else...take your chances. I have acquired giardia twice from well water here. There is no fluoride in municipal water here, something to consider if you have children. Pediatricians write for fluoridated vitamins to compensate.

That is great to hear. One less thing to worry then.

Old 08-07-2018, 12:47 PM

275 posts, read 285,487 times
I'm glad it is NOT fluoridated. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area