Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 10:16 PM

340 posts, read 664,557 times

Advertisements

For evening eats and music, there is Food Truck Friday at Idlewild Park. But check out the visitrenotahoe website for a full list of events.

If the kiddies get bored and you have spare time, I'd suggest the Nevada Discovery Museum, downtown Reno.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 01:08 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,747,721 times
1. Area around the Truckee River just outside downtown (Truckee River walk around Sierra St.). The river is running very high due to snow melt.
2. Lake Tahoe (allow minimum half day to explore)
3. Sparks Marina
4. Virginia City (allow at least 3 hours for the trip)
5. Drive down Washoe Valley to Carson City and Minden/Gardnerville
6. Lunch or dinner at SouthCreek Pizza. Nice little mini-mall too.

It will be hot (mid 90s when you are there) but cools to the low 60s at night. Because of the altitude and clear air, the sun is strong so if you plan to be in the sun, wear a hat and/or use sunscreen. Lake Tahoe is 10-15 degrees cooler day and night.

The area around S. Virginia Street (it's a long street) tends to be a bit "gritty" for the most part but the further away you get from there the better the neighborhoods.

Last edited by Vic Romano; 06-27-2017 at 01:25 AM..

Old 06-27-2017, 02:01 PM

73 posts, read 97,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
1. Area around the Truckee River just outside downtown (Truckee River walk around Sierra St.). The river is running very high due to snow melt.
2. Lake Tahoe (allow minimum half day to explore)
3. Sparks Marina
4. Virginia City (allow at least 3 hours for the trip)
5. Drive down Washoe Valley to Carson City and Minden/Gardnerville
6. Lunch or dinner at SouthCreek Pizza. Nice little mini-mall too.

It will be hot (mid 90s when you are there) but cools to the low 60s at night. Because of the altitude and clear air, the sun is strong so if you plan to be in the sun, wear a hat and/or use sunscreen. Lake Tahoe is 10-15 degrees cooler day and night.

The area around S. Virginia Street (it's a long street) tends to be a bit "gritty" for the most part but the further away you get from there the better the neighborhoods.
Thanks so much for all the suggestions. Want to stay in and around the Reno area just to get a feel for things, but will spend most of Saturday in Lake Tahoe I think.

Old 06-27-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
Beside check out the 3 neighborhoods, these are few places you should check out in Reno.

1. Hub cafe and walking along the Truckee River
https://www.hubcoffeeroasters.com
727 RIVERSIDE DR.RENO, NV 89503

2. Virginia lake-lots of birds and geese
2490 Eastshore dr, Reno, NV 89509

Views of the city:

3. Audrey Harris Park-great Downtown view
6698 Lakeside Dr
https://goo.gl/maps/NrLhWUWESuN2

Keep driving on Lakeside and you get into the very wealthy estate area of Reno.

4. Geiger grade lookout park
Very nice winding road
Geiger Grade Rd
https://goo.gl/maps/9ukLqC9GGen

5. The Outlet at Sparks-very beautiful outdoor mall. The only Imax theater in town. And check out Scheel's- the largest sport store in the world and there is an indoor ferris wheel!
http://www.outletsatsparks.com

6. UNR has a beautiful traditional green quad. Worth checking out.

For the weekend, definitely checkout lake Tahoe. Take 80 W to Truckee then 89 to Squaw Valley where they had 1960 Olympics. The village is beautiful and they probably still have skiable snow. Then continued down to Tahoe City which has very cute Main street. Then you drive along the Northshore of Lake Tahoe to Incline Village. Hyatt and its Lone eagle grill has great lake view. Then you can go back to Reno via Mt Rose highway or continue along the East shore of lake Tahoe to visit Hidden beach, Sand Harbor, Zephyr cove, etc. Heavenly ski resort in South lake Tahoe has great view of the lake. Then you can take US50 back to Reno via Carson city.

If you have more time, then Virginia city is a very cute and tourisy wild west old town.
Great information!! I will definitely check out most of the things on this list.

Old 07-01-2017, 06:30 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,879,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigu View Post
Great information!! I will definitely check out most of the things on this list.
Happy Canada day!

Let us know how your trip is.

If you have free time tonight, there is fireworks at the Nugget hotel in Sparks ( but may be quite late).

Old 07-03-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
Happy Canada day!

Let us know how your trip is.

If you have free time tonight, there is fireworks at the Nugget hotel in Sparks ( but may be quite late).
Thanks! Happy Independence day to you (although it is tomorrow). So wanted to provide a bit of an update. We flew in to Reno on Thursday night, and had my interview (with various people) until about 2pm. We then went to check out some places (Damonte Ranch, Lakeridge Shores (which we really couldn't get in to anyway because it's gated). I think Damonte Ranch area would provide us with the best bang for the buck and make it easier to meet young families (relatively young, we are in our mid 30's). We drove around the Riverwalk area, had some Indian food at Bawarchi (which was pretty decent). The good thing about that was, right beside the Indian restaurant was a new indian grocery store. So we checked that out. Also went to Walmart and Whole Foods (they are also opening up a Sprouts in the southside). We stayed at a hotel off of Double R Blvd/S. Meadow Pkwy. Very quick to the office (less than 10 mins). Driving through Reno wasn't that great to be honest, but we definitely enjoyed the Riverwalk area and the famous "Biggest little city in the world" arch. However that street was closed (believe they were getting ready for wing fest). Went to Northern part of lake Tahoe (Sand Harbour beach (near incline village)), and spent most of Saturday afternoon on the beach (kids loved it).

Overall impression was that everyone was super nice! Had a problem with some plastic underbody that was loose on my rental car that kept scraping the ground everytime I went over a speed bump, and illegally parked (apparently) at the arrivals terminal when I went to talk to Alamo to exchange the vehicle. As I ran back to the car, I was getting a ticket, but after explaining what happened, he tore up the ticket and was very empathetic. Alamo also exchanged my vehicle without any issues. So did get a good vibe from Reno, and feel that is a place where we could live.

Unfortunately all the schools are closed for the summer so couldn't check any of them out. In any event, I still don't have the job yet. There is still another candidate and I probably will find out by end of the week. So all this could be for nothing.

Also checked out the showhomes Willow Bend at Saddle Ridge by Toll brothers, and it is a gated community. The lot sizes were pretty decent (compared to Toronto and Edmonton Standards), but the larger lots were up against a big hill which didn't really appeal to me. I was looking for Lots that the backyard had a view of the snow capped mountains! We didn't spend too much time in there, since we got there about 25 mins before they closed.

The Reno airport wasn't busy, and doesn't seem like it would be, so checking in through security and stuff was a breeze. Only downfall of Reno, is that has very few places it flies direct to, most major destinations would require a connection.

We'll see what happens!

Old 07-03-2017, 01:22 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,879,495 times
Glad you enjoyed the trip!

Did you get to see Squaw Valley and snow in July?

The Airport is my biggest concern before I moved here but I don't mind it now. It does have good flights to most big US cities. It is very convenient and not busy. I used Seattle and Emirates a lot and the connection is relatively easy and smooth.

You can also be creative and use other airports(not recommend during winter). I sometimes use Sacramento airport to go to Hawaii nonstop. I once visited San Francisco for weekend trip and then use the SFO airport to flight nonstop to Asia.

Old 07-03-2017, 06:37 PM

340 posts, read 664,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigu View Post
As I ran back to the car, I was getting a ticket, but after explaining what happened, he tore up the ticket and was very empathetic. Alamo also exchanged my vehicle without any issues. So did get a good vibe from Reno, and feel that is a place where we could live.

Only downfall of Reno, is that has very few places it flies direct to, most major destinations would require a connection.

Glad to hear your experience in Reno was good overall. I had a similar friendly experience with the airport police/security forces -- possibly the only airport I've encountered where they didn't act like Gestapo near the parking areas.

In theory, having a non-hub airport should invite competition and keep prices in check. In practice, I'm not so sure! I agree it's not fun having a connection. I've done what Nn2036 has done before -- used other airports, but in my case it was worth driving to Oakland for a cheap Hawaii flight.

Old 07-10-2017, 01:50 PM

Hi everyone, just thought i'd give people an update. I did get the job, offer came through on Friday!! BUT.. I haven't signed yet, as there are a couple of things I am negotiating on. So not a done deal as of yet.

I will probably post some detailed questions on here should everything go through ok, and my wife and I come on our visitation trip to secure housing etc.

Old 07-10-2017, 02:02 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,747,721 times
Regardless of whether you accept, it always feels good to get a job offer. Get as much in moving expenses covered as you can! Congratulations!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area