Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 04:16 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,473,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyokoMariaUrameshi View Post
-It takes a village to raise a child. Children need positive reinforcement, love and care from all adults in their community. These days so many single family/divorced households make it hard for children, they have no one to talk to. As a child of divorced parents, its sucks. Polygyny isn't intended for sexual purposes( in some cases maybe), it is intended to have a secure family unit.

-Monogamy is a new concept. People are not meant to be monogamous, its actual natural for us to have mutiplie parterners. People say that marriage is suppose to between one man and one woman; but if you read the Bible, the Quran, the Jewish texts many of the men had mutilple wives and concubines. Polygyny was very common is history, the Chinese, Arabs, Indians, Egyptains, some tribes in the Americas and Africa all practiced it.

-Men a higher mortality rate:There are more females than males in the world. The perfect situation with one man one woman is simply not a mathematical possibility, some men would have to have at least two females for everyone to be in a relationship. There are not enough men for women.

-Its actually much more benefical to modern women. Women who want careers/ or women who want to me married and don't wish to have children can choose to be with a man who already has wives and children. She can go about her bussiness and work and still have a husband and a family without having to give birth.

-It's okay for someone to have numerous sexual partners/mistresses/baby mamas but it's llegal for them to marry more than one person? If they are married than its better, maybe we would have less out of wedlock births, infidelity.

-Better 3 checks than 2: Ok, lets say polygyny became legal in the 21st century US. As you know most adults work, there would be mulitple people bringing the bread and bacon home for the family.

-As long as consenting adults are okay with it, I think the government shouldn't dictate who should marry who.
Thanks for your thoughts on the matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 04:19 PM

20,742 posts, read 19,439,353 times
Quote:
-I

-Monogamy is a new concept. People are not meant to be monogamous, its actual natural for us to have mutiplie parterners. .

I always love these arguments about needing multiple partners when the gender ratios require that some go with no partners at all. How does going from 1 to 0 going to work whn 1 have 4 wives ?

BTW as far as Christian doctrine is concerned...

1 Timothy 3
1 This is a faithful saying: If a man desires the position of a bishop,[a] he desires a good work. 2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife,

133 posts, read 302,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Why would I want a man with other wives and children? Why would I want to work and support these other wives and children? I don't see anything in this situation that would make it attractive to me. Polygamy doesn't seem to have much to offer women. A lifetime of working to support other women and babysitting their children doesn't sound all that good.

But to each his own and I don't care if you chose that lifestyle. Just don't let me hear about you marrying women who are really children.
I'm a woman and polygyny is suppose to be between consenting adults. I wouldn't probably care if I married a guy and he wanted to marry other wives. He's a man. I'm gonna let a man be a man and spread his seed.

19,824 posts, read 12,375,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It would make more sense for women to have multiple husbands, that way she could actually stay home and raise the kids while the two (or more) guys made the income. Less kids that way, no childcare worries, no money problems, lot's of male role models for the children, everybody wins.
Good idea. Each guy could have his own kid. Say there are three husbands, all working. Maybe one could work part time and help mom with the kids.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:21 PM

3,277 posts, read 3,538,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Good idea. Each guy could have his own kid. Say there are three husbands, all working. Maybe one could work part time and help mom with the kids.
Ha

Old 01-06-2010, 04:25 PM

133 posts, read 302,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
I always love these arguments about needing multiple partners when the gender ratios require that some go with no partners at all. How does going from 1 to 0 going to work whn 1 have 4 wives ?

BTW as far as Christian doctrine is concerned...

1 Timothy 3
1 This is a faithful saying: If a man desires the position of a bishop,[a] he desires a good work. 2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife,
It makes more sense econmically for a man in this age to take up more than one wife so that things can be equal for the other single women out there. King Solomon of the Bible had multliple wives.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:26 PM

8,410 posts, read 39,326,489 times
Sniff sniff...someone smell burning hair? Or is it true thats what trolls smell like?

It makes more sense to have multiple husbands than wives. We all know men cant multi task.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:30 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,040,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Hi mango tango,

Have you heard that men don't like men who don't share the women? We don't want me to be an involuntary lonely boy with a rifle.
Hmph. If men want more a small harem, then I believe it is only fair that we girls get one too. I already have a few guys in mind

Old 01-06-2010, 04:32 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,387,654 times
Quote:
It makes more sense econmically for a man in this age to take up more than one wife so that things can be equal for the other single women out there. King Solomon of the Bible had multliple wives.
How about we fix the economy in this country so middle class workers are paid a fair, living wage and we can still make it on 2 jobs? Sad how our standard of living has eroded so far from the 50s-60s-70s when 1 salary could support a family. Now you want to give the masters of industry more ways to cheat us and rip us off by providing more adult workers per family.

What next to cover the rising cost of living after polygamy is instituted?

Starting up child labor again and sending your kids out to work instead of to school like in the olden days?

Think with you head, not your you-know-what.

I do not believe for one minute you are a woman. If you were actually a woman, you'd be espousing multiple HUSBANDS instead, not multiple WIVES.

If we are gonna have polygamy, I want an additional husband to do the housework and cooking for me. Case closed.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:32 PM

37,183 posts, read 42,375,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Yes, and if the woman played it right she could have a white collar executive, a rugged handyman/fix-it type, and maybe someone more artsy. What a fantasy !

Pologamy makes zero sense, especially the way it's practiced by those today, because it usually makes many families dependent on one person, which is risky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships