Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 04:54 AM

2 posts, read 38,090 times

Advertisements

I try to avoid asking my husband any questions or join him in conversation because often i will ask him something he has apparently told me before, and then snap at me. He will reply with, "Like i said" or "Like i told you before" etc etc etc....Only he finds this irritating, my friends dont even notice.. and when i find they have had to repeat themselves, i will apologise for my bad memory and they will tell me to stop beating myself up!!

I admit, my memory is not the best, but i dont believe i deserve to be spoken to in such a belittling way. (well it feels belittling to me anyway! )thats what I'm battling to define, if i really have a problem or if this is mild verbal abuse. He doesnt shout but says it in an incredibly irritated way. I'm getting a huge complex and it used to hurt me so much. but now it just pisses me off.

Does ANYONE else in the world feel like this??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 05:03 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,655,987 times
Yes, this happens to us and I just tell my husband that he has "selective hearing."
Seriously, maybe you should explain to him that you don`t remember him telling you that. He shouldn`t get so upset over it. Let him know that this upsets you.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:28 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,328,631 times
I used to have the same problem with the wife until I started to stop what I was doing and give her my undivided attention. Things are way much better now.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:06 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,530,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren... View Post
I try to avoid asking my husband any questions or join him in conversation because often i will ask him something he has apparently told me before, and then snap at me. He will reply with, "Like i said" or "Like i told you before" etc etc etc....Only he finds this irritating, my friends dont even notice.. and when i find they have had to repeat themselves, i will apologise for my bad memory and they will tell me to stop beating myself up!!

I admit, my memory is not the best, but i dont believe i deserve to be spoken to in such a belittling way. (well it feels belittling to me anyway! )thats what I'm battling to define, if i really have a problem or if this is mild verbal abuse. He doesnt shout but says it in an incredibly irritated way. I'm getting a huge complex and it used to hurt me so much. but now it just pisses me off.

Does ANYONE else in the world feel like this??

I can feel for both of you...my husband has a short memory too and I get frustrated on having to repeat things. At one time I got so used to repeating myself I find myself telling or saying the same things twice even when it's not necessary.
I don't belittle him tho...I'm a firm believer in the adage, people only talk to you the way you allow them too.
Tell him that you don't like the way he talks to you about this. Ask him to help you find a remedy.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:30 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
My mom tends to have this problem as well - and while it is annoying, I don't think she deserves the treatment she gets for it. I admitt, I've snapped at her sometimes but I usually wind up feeling really bad about it so I try not to anymore. But other people in our lives don't seem able to tone it down and still get really irritated with her if they have to repeat things to her. They make her feel like she's an idiot for not remembering.

She's taken the approach of apologizing for it with a lot of hurt in her voice, which usually makes them realize they are overreacting and are being intolerant. If someone snaps at her and says "I told you this yesterday!" she sighs like she is hurt and humbly says something like "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you so much" - then the person usually feels bad and you can hear the guilt in their voice when they timidly say "Oh... it's okay."

Basically, she's not really apologizing, what she is really saying is "it hurts me when you snap at me for something I can't help and am not intentially doing". And she has an excellent way of getting that message across without actually saying it.

What I try to do now is instead of snapping at her, I say something like "Just so you know, you asked me this a few days ago" but not in a mean spirited way. She usually says "Oh, sorry, remind me again please?" - so I tell her again but without getting annoyed.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:36 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
From your husband's point of view, it's not just that it's irritating to find out that someone didn't listen to what you said, but it hurts your feelings. Like, "I guess I'm not worth paying attention to when I talk?!" It is not so much the irritation of having to repeat yourself; rather, it's the feeling of disrespect. Like you blew him off when he was talking before, so that's why you didn't hear what he said/remember what he said.

I'm sorry, but this is one of my pet peeves. When my wife talks (and usually when anyone makes an effort to talk to me), I make an effort to pay close attention and respect them that way. I think multitasking when someone is talking to you is another way politeness has been robbed from society.

However, no one is perfect and no one can be expected to remember everything all the time. If you're doing it "all the time," check with yourself. Are you turning him out when he talks? Are you giving him your full attention? Of course, you should expect the same from him.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:53 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
WTF? Next time he snaps at you like that...calmly walk into the kitchen...fill a pitcher full of ice cold water...return to the grumpy guy...toss that cold water on him...tell him in a stern voice to chill out...run like hell. Keep the pitcher in your hands...you may need it to defend yourself. Repeat as neccessary. Glad I could help.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:59 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,478,817 times
I'm sorry. What did you say again?

Old 11-11-2008, 04:07 AM

2 posts, read 38,090 times
Thanks everyone

I have realised both of us are at fault. I should pay more attention and take in more of what i'm told ,and he should calm down!

Old 11-11-2008, 07:01 PM

809 posts, read 2,883,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
My mom tends to have this problem as well - and while it is annoying, I don't think she deserves the treatment she gets for it. I admitt, I've snapped at her sometimes but I usually wind up feeling really bad about it so I try not to anymore. But other people in our lives don't seem able to tone it down and still get really irritated with her if they have to repeat things to her. They make her feel like she's an idiot for not remembering.

She's taken the approach of apologizing for it with a lot of hurt in her voice, which usually makes them realize they are overreacting and are being intolerant. If someone snaps at her and says "I told you this yesterday!" she sighs like she is hurt and humbly says something like "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you so much" - then the person usually feels bad and you can hear the guilt in their voice when they timidly say "Oh... it's okay."

Basically, she's not really apologizing, what she is really saying is "it hurts me when you snap at me for something I can't help and am not intentially doing". And she has an excellent way of getting that message across without actually saying it.

What I try to do now is instead of snapping at her, I say something like "Just so you know, you asked me this a few days ago" but not in a mean spirited way. She usually says "Oh, sorry, remind me again please?" - so I tell her again but without getting annoyed.

That way may work with SOME people..... but some people are utter DUNCES in reading between the lines and reading peoples body language (in other words they DON'T know how to read between the lines) My boyfriend is like that and when I try to do the whole "I'm sorry" all sheepish bit....... he usually gets MORE irritated. So I have to FIRMLY tell him when he is belittling me and let him know it's hurting my feelings and I CAN'T control if I forget something....... he usually realizes he's being a jerk for getting huffy with me and tries harder and harder to fix it....... it all depends on the person. Some people can read between the lines, some can't and NEED you to tell them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships