Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2021, 07:29 PM

1,058 posts, read 675,615 times

Advertisements

I have a rent back question. I am purchasing a home We will call it home A. Home A's owner had to find a new house causing closing to change and causing in a rentback situation for 3 days. I am also selling my home. We will call it home B. This is causing us to rent back to to them for 3 days.

The Sellers agent of my home has offered to pay for the rent back to my buyers of $150. The sellers agent will write up an addendum that states $150 will come out of her commission credited to me the buyer. We we close on our next house, we will then credit the buyer $150 to them.

What do I make sure is in the addendum to make sure that all parties are protected?
Should I require a security deposit?
When should I do a walkthough?

We would close on 8/10, but not take possession until 8/13. I just want to make sure there is no damage to the home and it's clean when we move in.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2021, 07:30 PM

661 posts, read 832,364 times
You can ask them to agree to hold back funds until they move out.

Old 07-03-2021, 07:42 PM

8,575 posts, read 12,395,872 times
If it's only three days, I would postpone the closing so that you're not renting the house back to them. If you do go ahead and close, I would insist that the full proceeds be withheld until they relinquish possession of the house and you've done a thorough walk-through. It may be unlikely, but once you become a landlord and they're living in your house, things can really go awry.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/real-est...orium-loophole

Old 07-03-2021, 07:59 PM

5,966 posts, read 3,706,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwater_gypsy View Post
I have a rent back question. I am purchasing a home We will call it home A. Home A's owner had to find a new house causing closing to change and causing in a rentback situation for 3 days. I am also selling my home. We will call it home B. This is causing us to rent back to to them for 3 days.

The Sellers agent of my home has offered to pay for the rent back to my buyers of $150. The sellers agent will write up an addendum that states $150 will come out of her commission credited to me the buyer. We we close on our next house, we will then credit the buyer $150 to them.

What do I make sure is in the addendum to make sure that all parties are protected?
Should I require a security deposit?
When should I do a walkthough?

We would close on 8/10, but not take possession until 8/13. I just want to make sure there is no damage to the home and it's clean when we move in.

Thanks!
Personally, I wouldn't sweat the $150 on either end of the deal. I've done that (and even much longer) without any "rental" agreement and never had a problem. As I see it, it's part of the purchase/sale contract. Closing is on date X, and possession is on date X + 3. No additional transfer of money or rental contract needed, IMO.

In fact, if we get into the legal issues of the matter (and I'm not a lawyer), if things were to go bad on the possession issue, it might be better NOT to have a separate rental agreement and simply regard the possession issue as part of the sale/purchase contract... which it is. If you went the rental agreement route and the seller didn't vacate by the called for date, he/she might claim "tenant's rights" and the buyer would be forced to go through the state law process for eviction of a "tenant" which might take months in some states.

Much better, IMO, to try to enforce the contract provision than to try to evict them with a rental agreement in place. Under the contract, the seller does NOT have renter's protection because they're not a renter. They're simply a seller who has contractually agreed to surrender possession of the house on date X + 3, and if they don't, they are in violation of the contract. Besides, if the seller is not going to give possession on date X + 3 for whatever reason, I don't think $150 would make any difference to them one way or another. A rental agreement simply gives them legal status as "tenants". Without the rental contract, they have no "tenant's rights", and are simply trespassers in illegal possession of your house.

Old 07-03-2021, 08:19 PM

1,058 posts, read 675,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Personally, I wouldn't sweat the $150 on either end of the deal. I've done that (and even much longer) without any "rental" agreement and never had a problem. As I see it, it's part of the purchase/sale contract. Closing is on date X, and possession is on date X + 3. No additional transfer of money or rental contract needed, IMO.

In fact, if we get into the legal issues of the matter (and I'm not a lawyer), if things were to go bad on the possession issue, it might be better NOT to have a separate rental agreement and simply regard the possession issue as part of the sale/purchase contract... which it is. If you went the rental agreement route and the seller didn't vacate by the called for date, he/she might claim "tenant's rights" and the buyer would be forced to go through the state law process for eviction of a "tenant" which might take months in some states.

Much better, IMO, to try to enforce the contract provision than to try to evict them with a rental agreement in place. Under the contract, the seller does NOT have renter's protection because they're not a renter. They're simply a seller who has contractually agreed to surrender possession of the house on date X + 3, and if they don't, they are in violation of the contract. Besides, if the seller is not going to give possession on date X + 3 for whatever reason, I don't think $150 would make any difference to them one way or another. A rental agreement simply gives them legal status as "tenants". Without the rental contract, they have no "tenant's rights", and are simply trespassers in illegal possession of your house.
This makes sense. We are doing them a favor because they need the proceeds from the sale of my house for there new house. Apparently, they need an extra day to verify funds or something.

But...what about the walkthough? How can I make sure the house isn't gonna be a mess?

Old 07-03-2021, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwater_gypsy View Post
This makes sense. We are doing them a favor because they need the proceeds from the sale of my house for there new house. Apparently, they need an extra day to verify funds or something.

But...what about the walkthough? How can I make sure the house isn't gonna be a mess?
I would do the walkthrough the evening before the closing. More than likely they will have begun packing small things but will still have the big stuff in place waiting for the movers to come on day X + 3. As long as the walkthrough didn't reveal any big damage issues and it appeared that they were preparing to move, then I'd go ahead and close as planned. The sellers are still required by contract to leave the place in good condition with all systems working, etc as called for in the contract. A contract provision is still legally enforceable after the closing date.

Where I spent most of my adult life, it was very common for possession to be given 30 days after closing. This was just what everyone put in the contract when they bought or sold a house unless the house was already vacant. There was very seldom a problem that I'm aware of and I had realtor friends who kept me informed since I was buying real estate fairly often back in the late '70's. Occasionally someone would move out after the 30 days and not leave the place as clean as they should, but that's no big deal in the grand scheme of things since most people are going to clean it well and perhaps paint before moving in anyway.

Old 07-07-2021, 08:55 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
since after naming one Home A and another Home B, you never referenced them that way again, hard to say. And "Sellers agent" is the listing agent, though it sounds like you're calling the Buyer's Agent of Home B (your current personal residence that you are the listing agent for) the SA.

It *sounds like* you're saying you will pay your Buyer $150 for 3 days and you will charge your Seller (Home A) $150 for 3 days.

I would generally agree, since I think you're saying the BA for home B will actually pay your rent for you to his client, that you just $0 everything.

You can certainly require escrowing of some significant amount (say $10K) of your home A purchase until you gain possession of a clean and empty House A. If Home A Seller needs all your cash to buy their next home (ie, can't escrow $10K), then you have to adjust.

Old 07-07-2021, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
since after naming one Home A and another Home B, you never referenced them that way again, hard to say. And "Sellers agent" is the listing agent, though it sounds like you're calling the Buyer's Agent of Home B (your current personal residence that you are the listing agent for) the SA.

It *sounds like* you're saying you will pay your Buyer $150 for 3 days and you will charge your Seller (Home A) $150 for 3 days.

I would generally agree, since I think you're saying the BA for home B will actually pay your rent for you to his client, that you just $0 everything.

You can certainly require escrowing of some significant amount (say $10K) of your home A purchase until you gain possession of a clean and empty House A. If Home A Seller needs all your cash to buy their next home (ie, can't escrow $10K), then you have to adjust.
Who would hold the escrow money in this situation? I can recall checking into something like that once and I found that title companies and attorneys weren't interested in getting involved in petty squabbles over what's clean or isn't clean, or whether the seller took the drapes out of the house when he should have left them and what that's worth, and so on. Of course, for the right price, an attorney will do almost anything that's legal, and some might not even be that particular on what they'll do.

Old 07-07-2021, 09:33 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,423,134 times
The landlord would hold the security deposit. The landlord should require a written lease & proof of renters insurance. And include an agreement to pay for utilities.

Old 07-07-2021, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
The landlord would hold the security deposit. The landlord should require a written lease & proof of renters insurance. And include an agreement to pay for utilities.
So the seller is going to let the buyer withhold 10 LARGE and buy renter's insurance for 3 days possession after closing? Good luck with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals