Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2021, 06:47 AM

12,635 posts, read 32,123,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
He's not ready to sell, and you aren't ready to buy it sounds like.
Either make him an offer without an appraisal, and let him take it or leave it, or he needs to either get an appraisal or several market analysis done by several agents so he can set a price he feels comfortable with, or he needs to list it, and get offers and pick one.
Trying to get him to accept a contract when he isnt ready is unlikely to be successful. And right now, most homes are selling over appraised value.
I am ready to buy. He is not ready to accept any offers until the appraisal is complete.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2021, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
An option to buy with right of first refusal?
This might be exactly what I am looking for Are there generic contracts for this out there or is this just a clause? I am going to research this more.

Old 06-03-2021, 07:14 AM

43,378 posts, read 77,299,991 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
This might be exactly what I am looking for Are there generic contracts for this out there or is this just a clause? I am going to research this more.
So, what would one be willing to pay for such an opportunity?
5% of proposed contract price? 10%. Non-refundable, of course. It is a purchase, not a deposit.

Otherwise, in a roaring market, what benefit would the seller gain? Why would he complicate things when another buyer might walk away rather than play?
I think an option for right of refusal may be a deterrent to many buyers, particularly if they have been frustrated in other attempts to purchase.

Old 06-03-2021, 08:00 AM

6,080 posts, read 3,798,460 times
Quote:
This is my concern because in this market, who knows what it will appraise. I don't have unlimited funds either...lol. This is going to be owner financing. I am trying to think of a way to word it so I wouldn't be stuck if it came in too high. You have to get creative in this market. I wonder if I can say price to be determined once appraisal is completed. I was also going to say that this offer is contingent on a satisfactory appraisal and agreement on sale price by the Seller and the Buyer. Essentially, I am just trying to write up a contract to get first negotiations.
I'd like to make several points here:

You seem to be contradicting yourself. In your first post, you said, "I am already aware of what the property value is and it would be a cash transaction." Yet, in this post (above), you're saying that it is "owner financing". Do you mean "seller financing" or are you planning to get a loan? I thought you said it was a "cash transaction".

Never use the word "satisfactory" in a contract unless you spell out clearly WHOM is going to determine whether something is "satisfactory" or not. And, depending on the issue, you might need to clarify what the criteria will be for determining "satisfactory". "Satisfactory" is one of those vague words that can cause all kinds of problems unless it is specified who determines it. Something may be very satisfactory to the buyer, but not to the seller, or vice versa.

As to your desire for "first negotiations", that's going to be difficult to demand unless you're willing to enter into an "option contract" with the seller and put up some money that you could possibly lose. I doubt that's what you want to do and also doubt that the seller would do it. I think your best bet is to simply tell the seller you are interested and ask politely if he would contact you first when he knows what he wants for the property. If the appraisal has already been ordered, it shouldn't be too long before the seller finds out what it is, and then the negotiations could begin. I just don't think there's any reasonable way to FORCE the seller to give you first refusal or first negotiation rights. Heck, the seller might not want to "negotiate" at all. He might say "This is my price. Take it or leave it." And in this market, I can't blame him.

Old 06-03-2021, 08:43 AM

40,977 posts, read 49,304,329 times
Seller needs to get an agent and get this home in the MLS to open up to several thousand buyers and their agents. That's who sets the value.

Your early offer so you can negotiate, would mean zilch to me.

He needs exposure of this home to the market.

But I'm not his agent.

Old 06-03-2021, 09:55 AM

8,577 posts, read 12,455,355 times
Quote:
I am already aware of what the property value is and it would be a cash transaction. Could the appraisal be used for leverage or could it end up coming in high and possibly kill the deal? The seller is suggesting it.
Quote:
This is my concern because in this market, who knows what it will appraise. I don't have unlimited funds either...lol. This is going to be owner financing. I am trying to think of a way to word it so I wouldn't be stuck if it came in too high. You have to get creative in this market. I wonder if I can say price to be determined once appraisal is completed. I was also going to say that this offer is contingent on a satisfactory appraisal and agreement on sale price by the Seller and the Buyer. Essentially, I am just trying to write up a contract to get first negotiations.
Yes, which is it?

Quote:
An Option to Buy and a Right-of-First-Refusal are typically separate instruments. They could conceivably be merged, but it is unlikely that this Seller would be open to either one, let alone some type of combination. It doesn't sound like the Seller is open to complicating his potential sale. Why should he?

With an Option to Buy, a non-refundable amount is paid for the right to buy the property at a specified price within a certain time frame. I have done several 6-month Options and have typically paid $10,000 for each Option. I have structured my Option contracts so that the amount paid is applied to the purchase price if the Option is exercised, but that is not the case with all Option payments. If the Seller won't agree to a sales price now, I wouldn't expect him to agree to a price set in an Option contract.

With a Right-of-First-Refusal, a non-refundable payment is made which gives the purchaser of that right the opportunity to match any bona fide offer made by another party that the Seller agrees to accept. This is another complication but it may be less objectionable to a Seller since it acts as a back-up offer and may help to bump up the price initially offered, since they would likely inform a potential purchaser of the outstanding right. Besides this potential for price escalation, another downside to a purchaser is that you may never be able to fully trust that an offer made is entirely legitimate. Still, there are limited instances in which a Right-of-First-Refusal is an appropriate strategy.

Based upon the information provided in this case, however, I really doubt that the Seller would agree to either an Option or a Right-of-First-Refusal. Understandably, your desires are really not in the Seller's best interest.

Last edited by jackmichigan; 06-03-2021 at 10:09 AM..

Old 06-03-2021, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
I'd like to make several points here:

You seem to be contradicting yourself. In your first post, you said, "I am already aware of what the property value is and it would be a cash transaction." Yet, in this post (above), you're saying that it is "owner financing". Do you mean "seller financing" or are you planning to get a loan? I thought you said it was a "cash transaction".

Never use the word "satisfactory" in a contract unless you spell out clearly WHOM is going to determine whether something is "satisfactory" or not. And, depending on the issue, you might need to clarify what the criteria will be for determining "satisfactory". "Satisfactory" is one of those vague words that can cause all kinds of problems unless it is specified who determines it. Something may be very satisfactory to the buyer, but not to the seller, or vice versa.

As to your desire for "first negotiations", that's going to be difficult to demand unless you're willing to enter into an "option contract" with the seller and put up some money that you could possibly lose. I doubt that's what you want to do and also doubt that the seller would do it. I think your best bet is to simply tell the seller you are interested and ask politely if he would contact you first when he knows what he wants for the property. If the appraisal has already been ordered, it shouldn't be too long before the seller finds out what it is, and then the negotiations could begin. I just don't think there's any reasonable way to FORCE the seller to give you first refusal or first negotiation rights. Heck, the seller might not want to "negotiate" at all. He might say "This is my price. Take it or leave it." And in this market, I can't blame him.
Sorry about the confusion. It was originally cash or owner financing. He prefers owner financing due to tax implications. It works out better for both of us. The contract would state satisfactory to the Seller and the Buyer. I can ask him to contact me first but I feel that still leaves the pool open to multiple buyers. I suppose, if he's not happy with the offer even if we are in a contract that is contingent, he could just move on. I was hoping this would make the sale pending and he wouldn't be entertaining other offers.

Old 06-03-2021, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Seller needs to get an agent and get this home in the MLS to open up to several thousand buyers and their agents. That's who sets the value.

Your early offer so you can negotiate, would mean zilch to me.

He needs exposure of this home to the market.

But I'm not his agent.
...lol. He has clearly stated that he does not want an agent in this market. He just wants an appraisal.

Old 06-03-2021, 03:58 PM

This is the deal that he has informed me after he thought about it. He is going to get the appraisal and then let everyone know the results. He's then going to let everyone put in an offer. Then he will let everyone know the highest bid and see if anyone wants to beat it. He also said it's not just the offer, it's also going to be the terms and financing that he takes into consideration. Hopefully, a biding war isn't in the future.

Old 06-03-2021, 06:09 PM

40,977 posts, read 49,304,329 times
Quote:
...lol. He has clearly stated that he does not want an agent in this market. He just wants an appraisal.
Big mistake. As mentioned above, appraisals can vary hugely by the person doing it.

It's just an opinion and nothing more. The market sets the price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals