Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2020, 03:19 AM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times

Advertisements

Some people feel threatened by this COE revision.
"Who I hate on my own time is my personal business."

https://www.nar.realtor/newsroom/nar...discrimination

"Following months of meetings and deliberations, NAR's Advisory Board recommended that its Code of Ethics apply to every action a Realtor® takes, whether personal or professional."

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 11-14-2020 at 03:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2020, 08:37 AM

8,573 posts, read 12,405,577 times
Gosh...aren't they even concerned about a reduction in membership?

Old 11-14-2020, 08:50 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,900,601 times
Quote:
"Who I hate on my own time is my personal business."
As long as you do it silently, now.

Old 11-14-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Gosh...aren't they even concerned about a reduction in membership?
Well, it went into effect unanimously and immediately.

I was over on RTB in Real Estate on FB, and the outrage was actually pretty funny.
"I'm cancelling membership!"
As if that attitude was less damning than a complaint.

Then, "I would cancel membership if I didn't need it for MLS membership."
Compromise of principles right there....

Old 11-14-2020, 09:37 AM

14,473 posts, read 12,101,318 times
Well, the issue of course is cancel culture and the creeping definition of hate speech. There are some who view almost any speech they disagree with as hate speech. I hope they are careful with how such a code is defined and interpreted.

We did belong to NAR when we were at a big national firm (and had to) and we would probably still belong if individual agents could join, but since we're at a small independent firm now that is not a member, we can't join. Here, NAR is not required for MLS membership.

Of course, action by NAR is not the only way cancel culture can get you if you are outspoken politically, any more.

Old 11-14-2020, 10:17 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Like many Professions, being a Realtor or Real Estate Agent is 24 / 7. Once licensed you are never not an Agent and should be careful in what and how you say things.

Old 11-14-2020, 10:18 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,217,972 times
Well, at least this will be easier to enforce than general ethics violations which generally happen out of sight and either are never reported or escape attention. It will serve to paint a shiny, public veneer of perceived ethics oversight on our profession. Alas, we will continue to have more than our share of bad actors.

Old 11-15-2020, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Like many Professions, being a Realtor or Real Estate Agent is 24 / 7. Once licensed you are never not an Agent and should be careful in what and how you say things.

Then there is the very common comingling of personal and professional.

With so many agents being coached to use social media to drive business, it's logical to expect some constraints on intolerance.

Old 11-15-2020, 10:34 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,982,719 times
Where I can see this being an issue is that some people have strong feelings about certain politics and those political conversations can often be about protected groups of people. Let's say, for example, that an orthodox Christian has a strong opinion or view about homosexuality and makes a comment online about his/her beliefs, or they make a comment about what political party they are choosing because of their religious beliefs. The next person could consider that hate speech and turn them in. I can see it starting some litigation issues and when you're messing with people's professions, there could be damages incurred.

Seems like a slippery slope to me...

Old 11-15-2020, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Where I can see this being an issue is that some people have strong feelings about certain politics and those political conversations can often be about protected groups of people. Let's say, for example, that an orthodox Christian has a strong opinion or view about homosexuality and makes a comment online about his/her beliefs, or they make a comment about what political party they are choosing because of their religious beliefs. The next person could consider that hate speech and turn them in. I can see it starting some litigation issues and when you're messing with people's professions, there could be damages incurred.

Seems like a slippery slope to me...
That Christian is already bound by the COE to treat people with respect regardless of sexual orientation.
And, the NAR COE is a code for a private organization.
That Christian can choose to be a member or not, or to be a member.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals