Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2020, 06:23 AM

8,676 posts, read 22,956,150 times

Advertisements

What the outcome of putting "including NTC (not to code") 4th bedroom on lower level in the listing?

Any appraiser that sees that verbiage is going to redflag their appraisal or not give the NTC area any value. Does the seller realize their agent threw the seller under the bus and the will likely now get caught up in serious County backlog just trying to get post-construction permits?

Is there a court case I am not aware of that's the poster child why this is needed? I can think of so many different ways to disclose the tidbit. What am I missing?

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...rial_web_patch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2020, 06:47 AM

43,378 posts, read 77,299,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
What the outcome of putting "including NTC (not to code") 4th bedroom on lower level in the listing?

Any appraiser that sees that verbiage is going to redflag their appraisal or not give the NTC area any value. Does the seller realize their agent threw the seller under the bus and the will likely now get caught up in serious County backlog just trying to get post-construction permits?

Is there a court case I am not aware of that's the poster child why this is needed? I can think of so many different ways to disclose the tidbit. What am I missing?

I think the agent is lax in their disclosure duties, unless "NTC" is a widely accepted local term, and unless this disclosure is documented more fully in Agent Remarks.
Substandard spaces require disclosure by an ethical listing agent, so as not to mislead consumers.

We often see "Attic/basement/bonus room finish unpermitted," and I don't recall ever tripping over it during appraisal.

Old 10-09-2020, 06:53 AM

6,837 posts, read 11,590,146 times
I assume “not to code” means it doesn’t have a legal egress window, not that Joe Homeowner cobbled together the construction without a permit. Why not just call it a “hobby room” or “bonus room.”? Any buyer who wants to use it as a bedroom can figure that out when they see it.

Old 10-09-2020, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
I assume “not to code” means it doesn’t have a legal egress window, not that Joe Homeowner cobbled together the construction without a permit. Why not just call it a “hobby room” or “bonus room.”? Any buyer who wants to use it as a bedroom can figure that out when they see it.
Why?
Because they want it to come up in 4 bedroom property searches. 4 BR will also tend to carry additional value.

Old 10-09-2020, 07:29 AM

9,957 posts, read 4,708,872 times
Sounds like they should've just put finished basement. And as pointed out if one is advertising 4 bedrooms they should have 4 bedrooms. If in a basement yes shouldn't a bedroom have egress/a window and it's own hvac? I've seen people uses upper floor porches and/or sun rooms as a bedroom with the same issues. This also could disappoint buyers ie 'That's a bedroom?'

Old 10-09-2020, 07:32 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,554,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Why?
Because they want it to come up in 4 bedroom property searches. 4 BR will also tend to carry additional value.
In some markets. Not all

Old 10-09-2020, 11:28 AM

15,598 posts, read 40,508,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post

In my market, that generally means there is no closet or not proper window egress for it to be considered a legal bedroom. Appraisers just give it value as a den so it would get appraised as a 3 bedroom, 1 den/office home. So they do give it value.

Old 10-09-2020, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annemieke Roell View Post
In some markets. Not all
Of course. Local realities rule.

Old 10-10-2020, 07:42 AM

578 posts, read 666,499 times
To an appraiser, it's a basement, no matter what an agent calls it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals