Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2020, 12:59 PM

354 posts, read 775,585 times

Advertisements

I generally try to avoid mixing friendship and business of any kind. I have a friend who has a real estate license and would get insulted if I bought/sold a house without using them. I also know they could use the money, so I feel sort of obligated to use them.

My current house I bought on my own, without a broker, and it was being sold by the owner as well, so I never really did a transaction with a broker. My question is more about what do they actually do for you (other than finding you the house and taking you to see it) when it comes to the transaction itself.

I'm trying to think of what would be the main pitfalls of going with my friend. My main concern isn't even really that he's a friend - it's more about his inexperience in the business. He has his license as a side job, this is not what he does full time.

So what would I be missing out on? Is it different for selling vs buying? It seems that it is more meaningful to have an experienced broker when selling moreso than when buying. Would that be true?

How much of my financials would they need to be exposed to as part of the transaction?

Any advice is much appreciated!

Thanks,

h
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2020, 01:20 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
"Offended?"
Sounds like he is putting his business ahead of your friendship.

Old 06-23-2020, 02:04 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
If he's a good agent, should be fine. If he's an incompetent agent it could create issues with the friendship. If you worry he isn't a good/knowledgeable agent, the approach would be to tell him you don't want to risk the friendship with a business transaction and ask him to refer you to an agent in his office. Then he can get a 25% referral fee and you get a good agent. I would hope that would be a happy arrangement.

Old 06-23-2020, 03:23 PM

21,910 posts, read 9,483,127 times
I tried to use a friend/acquaintance as an agent once. Big mistake because I realized she was inexperienced.

I was going to sell a home and my friend gave me a referral to an agent in the town. Did not end well. Cost me a lot of extra money. Long story. Did not ultimately used that company's agent.

Had a friend who was an agent who got mad at me when I went and looked at a house and didn't use him. He was/is a part time agent. I wasn't serious about purchasing the house at the time.

I know relationships are a big part of a realtor/insurance/etc's business. But I am a little uncomfortable using friends for business. We just hired a financial advisor that lives in our neighborhood. I am not sure how I feel about it.

But I guarantee I would NOT hire anyone who got mad at me that I didn't hire them.

Old 06-23-2020, 04:21 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hominamad View Post
How much of my financials would they need to be exposed to as part of the transaction?
I will answer this because I think it's sometimes important to people's fears. I don't typically share financial info with friends, and I understand the concern.

I have been the broker for several friends, as a buyer's agent.

For those who financed, I never knew how much they made, or even their credit score. Have them get a good lender and I stay out of the financials. I only need to know what their house budget is.

Of those who paid with cash, I was privy to their proof of funds we sent with the offer, but that can take whatever form you want it to take, with only those funds needed for the transaction, not your whole net worth. In most cases, a copy of an account or bank statement with personal info blacked out. Tell me only what you'd want the other party in the transaction to know, that's all I need!

Of those where we represented the seller, we only need to know your mortgage amount if it's more than the net on the house. No other financials.

Old 06-23-2020, 09:14 PM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
Quote:
My main concern isn't even really that he's a friend - it's more about his inexperience in the business. He has his license as a side job, this is not what he does full time.

That's a recipe for disaster.

See the words in bold. If they don't convey sufficient reason not to hire him as your agent then I don't know what will.

Old 06-24-2020, 02:58 PM

4,612 posts, read 7,529,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
That's a recipe for disaster.

See the words in bold. If they don't convey sufficient reason not to hire him as your agent then I don't know what will.

Old 06-25-2020, 11:58 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
I generally try to avoid mixing friendship and business of any kind. I have a friend who has a real estate license and would get insulted if I bought/sold a house without using them. I also know they could use the money, so I feel sort of obligated to use them.

My current house I bought on my own, without a broker, and it was being sold by the owner as well, so I never really did a transaction with a broker. My question is more about what do they actually do for you (other than finding you the house and taking you to see it) when it comes to the transaction itself.

I'm trying to think of what would be the main pitfalls of going with my friend. My main concern isn't even really that he's a friend - it's more about his inexperience in the business. He has his license as a side job, this is not what he does full time.

So what would I be missing out on? Is it different for selling vs buying? It seems that it is more meaningful to have an experienced broker when selling moreso than when buying. Would that be true?

Any advice is much appreciated!

Thanks,

h
Then I hope your friend is giving you a discount as you are giving the friend assured business without the friend having to earn it. Otherwise, I'd tell the friend to go pound sand.

I can't answer any of your actual questions, sadly

Old 06-26-2020, 02:55 AM

4,515 posts, read 2,520,191 times
Part time agent raises red flags. Don't do it. Just tell him you don't mix business and friendships.

Old 06-28-2020, 10:30 AM

107 posts, read 121,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
"Offended?"
Sounds like he is putting his business ahead of your friendship.
Exactly. Some "friend."

I don't mix business with pleasure (or friendship) either. Anyone who can't get that or insists on being offended (which I realize is all the rage now) can take a hike!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals