Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 04:52 PM

7 posts, read 36,368 times
Yeah, RPM, that was it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 02:13 PM

1 posts, read 4,458 times
Default those were the days

just found this forum, and man does it bring back memories...

the videos playing at the Barbarian all the early MTV songs...another one I still remember watching when we would get there early....Ozzy and Paranoid...still remember dime draws....ladies night, and sundays were great to see the bands one last time, typically after a hard week of partying....a little more laid back than friday and saturday nights!

I believe Liz was in RPM with Todd...can't remember his last name. worked with him at Merrillat from 85 to 89 or so........also sorry to see them shutting their doors, still good friends with a couple of people who are still there.

I too spent many, many nites at the Barbarian, first as an 18 bar, and then 21....

Old 08-10-2009, 02:19 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Hey Jak, welcome. Pull up a chair and stick around.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:22 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,716,248 times
I'm curious, where at in Rapid City was The Barbarian?

Old 08-10-2009, 04:56 PM

Jak - I also worked at Merrilat, from about 88-95 I think.

Danny - Barbarian was on Jackson Blvd. across the street from west side Safeway, I think it's now a boat place.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:30 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti1964 View Post
Jak - I also worked at Merrilat, from about 88-95 I think.

Danny - Barbarian was on Jackson Blvd. across the street from west side Safeway, I think it's now a boat place.
My brother worked at Merrilat from 87 to February 88 when he shipped off to boot camp with the Marine Corp.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti1964 View Post
It's now Roy's Westside Auto Body, but the Barbarian's entrance was in the back, and took up almost the whole building. Had kind of a warehouse feel to it with a 20+ foot high ceiling, exposed beams, etc. and a pretty large, permanent stage at one end. I don't have any pics, but it would be cool if someone had some of the inside of the bar back in the day.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:57 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,716,248 times
Sounds like a pretty fun place to go!

Old 11-04-2009, 08:40 AM

3 posts, read 9,219 times
It has been years but I believe that Todd's last name was Dietrich or something similar. Was Liz the same Liz that also played in the band Nebraska, which I saw at the Ace of Spades (if anyone remembers that club). I went to College there in 1981-1983. Yes, learned about love on Skyline Drive. Those were the days. Does anyone remember the Hall Inn? Or the Rockin' R?

Old 11-04-2009, 06:40 PM

59 posts, read 129,666 times
Default I have a deep and abiding memory of Rapid City from my youth

Hmm, that would be pretty interesting from someone who grew up and spent most of his life in Cleveland with time out for stints in Illinois and Iowa. AND, I've lived in Sioux Falls for all of 4 weeks.

But I have enough years to remember an incident during our family vacation to Yellowstone.

So let's go back to 1970 and see if any of this rings a bell.

On the way back from Yellowstone, we stopped at Mt. Rushmore, natch. None of the current structures were there. It seemed like we were much closer to the monument then than you can get now. It seemed like there was just a observation deck on a ledge. Again, I was all of seven so who knows.

So on the way back we went to Reptile Gardens. The main attraction at that time (other than the reptiles) was a staged Wild West shootout which was kinda neat to see. I wonder if they do that sort of thing now. I bet not. The outside of the attraction looks sleek and modern compared to what I remember in 1970. It looked pretty rustic (although busy) to me back then.

So here's where the adventure begins. Mom, dad, my sister and myself are travelling the west in a 1969 VW Van. Yep, a hippie mobile (without the trappings, of course). Pretty ironic when you consider my dad was VERY conservative and straightlaced.

So we pull out of the Reptile Gardens parking lot and, as dad, shifts into second gear, he pulls the gearshift RIGHT OUT OF THE FLOOR. 39 years later and I stood on almost the exact spot it happened.

My mom never heard such language coming from my dad! It was mid July, sunny and hot and dad had no idea what to do. We were saved by a state trooper who came along and told my dad he would put his rollers on and lead us into Rapid City - in second gear. Luckily, at that time, RC had the only VW repair/dealership in the state at that time - so we were told.

So we rolled down Mt. Rushmore Road doing about 20-25 mph. We went to the VW shop (anyone remember where it might have been in 1970?) and then after dropping the car, the trooper drove our whole family to this motel:

Our room was in the corner facing the camera. There is a pool by the street in the lower left of this picture which is out of the camera lens. The side of the buiding says "Sands." This photo was taken last week. I was amazed that this motel was still here. Does anyone remember what it was named in 1970? Was it the Sands as well?

Mt. Rusmore Road was a lot quieter then and we swam a lot in the pool and observed an occasional car go by. The pool was unheated. I do remember us going to the drive in with the carhops the few days we had to spend there. Dad had to have his folks wire money so we could pay the repair and get home.

The thing is the more I drove around last week, I noticed there were MANY old style motels still standing in the city. I can't recall seeing so many of the motels from the 50s and 60s in one place, some with the original signage.

I stood there and it felt so ironic thinking that 39 years ago I was staying in the motel in a town we never planned on spending the night in, actually working my job in this town that had been the punchline of a long running family story. What stayed with my dad is what the cop did for us and how nice the people were to us stranded Ohioans.

BTW, I stayed last week in the Best Western Town and Country which also looks like it was constructed in phases in the early-mid 1950. Am I right?

Thanks for letting me share that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City