Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 08:01 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,724,786 times

Advertisements

Oh yes, Hippie Hole... learned some facts of life out that-a-way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 08:59 PM

12 posts, read 61,121 times
Hippie Hole huh Danny?

I got my "education" on skyline drive like probably 3/4 of the population in Rapid City did! And I'll not say anymore about than night than I already have!

Old 07-03-2009, 07:31 AM

27,955 posts, read 39,817,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond40dave View Post
Hippie Hole huh Danny?

I got my "education" on skyline drive like probably 3/4 of the population in Rapid City did! And I'll not say anymore about than night than I already have!
I mentioned something earlier about many a happy memories on Skyline.

Old 07-04-2009, 07:08 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,251,349 times
Geeze, I've seen so many of you comment on Shakey's Pizza that I've gotta jump in....

I moved to Gillette in 1971, and one of the first things we found was Shakey's in Rapid City. We were long-time, big-time Shakey's fans, so the 300-mile roundtrip over mostly a two-lane highway was well worth it. A friend and I would get off work at 5 o'clock, grab our wives and make a quick trip, have a Shakey's pizza, then return home around midnight.

We got a Shakey's in Gillette in the late 70s, but it only lasted a year or two before it burned to the ground. Then the one in Rapid changed names, etc. It was sad to see it go....

Old 07-06-2009, 09:07 AM

7 posts, read 36,375 times
Quote:
There are a few of us who can still remember the Barbarian. But as the old saying goes: if you remember it then you weren't there!

I remember the Michael Jackson Thriller video playing up on the big screen at the Barbarian. All eyes were glued to the big screen! I also remember watching the Buggles: Video killed the radio star (over and over) on the screen at the Barbarian when the thing called MTV first started.
You can actually thank me for the music videos playing at the Barbarian! I used to record hours & hours of videos on my (then) state-of-the-art VCR for Danny Burr (then manager) so he could put 'em up on the big screen. (BTW, Danny is now a poker dealer at Caddilac Jacks if anyone wants to go say hi.)

Mis-spent a lot of time at that bar, but did meet my (still current) wife there 23 years ago!

Went to see Wakefield last Saturday at the Heritage Festival (anyone else there?)! It was great!! Brought back a lot of memories...they do all the same schtik...ZZ Top beards, robot masks, "smoking" in the boy's room. Saw 'em there 11 years ago as well, they need to come to Rapid more often. Mike Chambers (former Barbarian owner) was there, but he was the only one I knew from those days. The crowd was embarrasingly small....last time they were here, it was a much bigger turn-out.

Was trying to scour the internet for more info on Wakefield and couldn't find anything except this thread...that's what led me here.

BTW, lived in Rapid my whole life and (kind of) remember most of the 80's. All the stuff in this thread brings back some great memories, thanks!

Old 07-06-2009, 11:11 AM

27,955 posts, read 39,817,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti1964 View Post
You can actually thank me for the music videos playing at the Barbarian! I used to record hours & hours of videos on my (then) state-of-the-art VCR for Danny Burr (then manager) so he could put 'em up on the big screen. (BTW, Danny is now a poker dealer at Caddilac Jacks if anyone wants to go say hi.)

Mis-spent a lot of time at that bar, but did meet my (still current) wife there 23 years ago!

Went to see Wakefield last Saturday at the Heritage Festival (anyone else there?)! It was great!! Brought back a lot of memories...they do all the same schtik...ZZ Top beards, robot masks, "smoking" in the boy's room. Saw 'em there 11 years ago as well, they need to come to Rapid more often. Mike Chambers (former Barbarian owner) was there, but he was the only one I knew from those days. The crowd was embarrasingly small....last time they were here, it was a much bigger turn-out.

Was trying to scour the internet for more info on Wakefield and couldn't find anything except this thread...that's what led me here.

BTW, lived in Rapid my whole life and (kind of) remember most of the 80's. All the stuff in this thread brings back some great memories, thanks!
Welcome . Stick around we like Rapid City lifers.

I lived there until 10 years ago. Born and raised there. I miss it. Spent the weekend in Wyoming. Had great run running 34. Visiting several friends and family... That is what is making this summer great.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:39 PM

Some of the bands that played the Barbarian were:
(Rapid City's Asia)
Pressure Point
Flat Cat (Bean-o, if your out there give me a holler )
Wakefield
Skitz
On the Fritz
The Talk? ( I think that was their name)

George Thorogood (filmed by SD Public TV and narrated by none other than Vincent Price)
Greg Kihn (our love's in jepardy baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaby!)
Hearts origional guitarist ( can't remember his name)
Pat Travers
Eddie Money
I believe Crow played there also

Somewhere out there in the big USA is a guy named Rick who took pictures of ALL the bands that played the Barbarian in the beginning years. I would love to see those pictures! YO Rick, if your out there somewhere give me a holler!

Old 07-07-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Some of the bands that played the Barbarian were:
(Rapid City's Asia)
Pressure Point
Flat Cat (Bean-o, if your out there give me a holler )
Wakefield
Skitz
On the Fritz
The Talk? ( I think that was their name)

George Thorogood (filmed by SD Public TV and narrated by none other than Vincent Price)
Greg Kihn (our love's in jepardy baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaby!)
Hearts origional guitarist ( can't remember his name)
Pat Travers
Eddie Money
I believe Crow played there also

Somewhere out there in the big USA is a guy named Rick who took pictures of ALL the bands that played the Barbarian in the beginning years. I would love to see those pictures! YO Rick, if your out there somewhere give me a holler!
Yeah, seeing those pics would be great!

Asia was always a big draw, and one of my favs!
I remember Pressure Point when they were Aaron Baron...
Don't remember Flat Cat, Skitz or On the Fritz...
I went to school with Liz Litz, the singer for The Talk (at least I think that was the band she was in)
I remember seeing Thorogood, Kihn and Eddie Money...
What was the local band with the lead guitarist that always wore the striped spandex pants? I like those guys a lot, too...

Old 07-08-2009, 08:30 AM

Some pics and vids from Wakefield's show at the Heritage Festival 7-4-2009:

Old 07-08-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti1964 View Post
Yeah, seeing those pics would be great!

Asia was always a big draw, and one of my favs!
I remember Pressure Point when they were Aaron Baron...
Don't remember Flat Cat, Skitz or On the Fritz...
I went to school with Liz Litz, the singer for The Talk (at least I think that was the band she was in)
I remember seeing Thorogood, Kihn and Eddie Money...
What was the local band with the lead guitarist that always wore the striped spandex pants? I like those guys a lot, too...
I believe it went something like this: Aaron Baron morphed into Pressure Point. When Pressure Point broke up certain member(s) went on to form Flat Cat. The last time I saw Flat Cat was at Nightlights many years ago.
Wasn't Liz the singer for RPM?
On the Fritz had twin brothers in the band. I THINK they both played guitar. One stood on the right side of the stage the other took up the left side of the stage. As if it wasn't bad enough seeing double from the beer...
By the way good pics of the Wakefield concert. I wonder how bad those fake ZZ beards smell after 25 years? LOL!
I saw them on their mid-life crisis tour 10 years ago? Bought their CD, lots of memories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City