Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2022, 03:59 PM

19 posts, read 35,408 times

Advertisements

Looking at maybe moving to Rapid City.

Also looking at Spearfish, but wary of moving to that small a town.

Whereas Rapid City is "big enough" to have everything I'd need, but still not too big.

Anyway, according to City Data, the crime rate in Rapid City is 413, compared to the national average crime rate of 270.6.

That high a crime rate does concern me.

But I also know statistics can be misleading.

As a resident of Rapid City, do you have a sense of living in a "high crime" town? Or is the crime mostly confined to just a certain part of the city?

Thanks for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2022, 01:28 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,104,544 times
The crime is mostly in town proper. If you live in one of the small suburb towns you won't notice any crime to speak of. For example: a few years ago my father-in-law was nearly mugged in the mall parking lot. Three teenaged guys, one with a knife, threatened him. He kneed the guy with the knife in the groin and he collapsed, the other two ran. He lived in Piedmont on a couple acres. He passed away without a will, so it took a couple years to clear probate. His garage door was unlocked for more than a year (my son lost the opener) and the house was empty for weeks at a time. No one ever approached the house on the security camera, so all was safe.

Here is another link to look at.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 06-14-2022 at 10:13 PM..

Old 06-20-2022, 08:42 PM

19 posts, read 35,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
The crime is mostly in town proper. If you live in one of the small suburb towns you won't notice any crime to speak of. For example: a few years ago my father-in-law was nearly mugged in the mall parking lot. Three teenaged guys, one with a knife, threatened him. He kneed the guy with the knife in the groin and he collapsed, the other two ran. He lived in Piedmont on a couple acres. He passed away without a will, so it took a couple years to clear probate. His garage door was unlocked for more than a year (my son lost the opener) and the house was empty for weeks at a time. No one ever approached the house on the security camera, so all was safe.
Thanks for your input.

As it turns however, I've decided to move back to my old hometown of Springfield, MO to live out the rest of my days.

I just don't think I want to deal with the cold and snow of living that far north. Nor the extreme heat of the south.

Old 06-21-2022, 01:03 PM

8,492 posts, read 8,777,706 times
Springfield MO almost twice as high violent and property crimes rates as Rapid City at city levels using FBI compiled data.

Link in private message. Or you can dig into citydata pages for each city for similar data.

At metro level, Rapid City has modestly less violent crime compared to Springfield metro but Springfield metro still has twice the property crime as Rapid City metro.

Crime data tends to look worse for regional centers as many people beyond the base population visit for work, services and entertainment and represent additional targets for crimes. Or additional people to commit crimes. The higher headcounts present in city beyond city residents are not counted in the population for figuring city crime rates.

Last edited by NW Crow; 06-21-2022 at 01:25 PM..

Old 06-22-2022, 09:42 PM

414 posts, read 972,402 times
I hate to say it but crime seems to be related to area. You might check out communitycrimemap.com Type in Rapid City, SD and you will get a map showing robbery and home invasions. If you look at OMAHA/CANYON LAKE as the main east west street and the interstate spur into town and Rushmore Road as the main north south line, the north east quadrant has far more crime than the other three quadrants. The more you get away from that quadrant the less crime.

Old 11-24-2022, 07:44 PM

4,168 posts, read 2,566,993 times
The Rapid City Crime Watch. About the high crime in RC, and the broken system that hides it. I was just informed of this source 1 week ago. I'm not too happy about this at all.

It let me look at it the first time I looked it up. But now it wants me to join FB. I hate FB, but may have to rejoin the darn thing just for this.

https://www.facebook.com/people/Rapi...0082965087220/

Last edited by mlulu23; 11-24-2022 at 08:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City