Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2021, 07:57 AM

123 posts, read 215,931 times

Advertisements

Looking to relocate to a western state like SD, ND, Wyoming, Idaho, or Montana...a conservative state and community. Would have 3 children high school, middle school, elementary. Wife can work from anywhere.

I’m a PE teacher of 25 years (Teacher of the Year for our district) but not opposed to other work.

Questions:
1) Does the economy seem healthy in the area?

2) What are the public schools like? Thinking about for our children and for me as a teacher in terms of quality of the job, retirement, etc. I'm not a fan of unions. Wondering if SD is a right to work state.

3) what are the private schools like? Seems like there are several Christian schools, a rather large number for a town the size of RC. Is it safe to infer there's a healthy portion of conservative Christians in RC area? Again, thinking about for our children and for me as a teacher.

4) Can anyone compare the general feel of the community in RC to that of a typical midwestern city like Indianapolis or Columbus?

5) I've looked at climate data and have been to the area for a few days each of the past 5 summers, but what are the summers like in terms of humidity? Looks like it can get hot but if it's dry, it's way different and more comfortable than the high humidity we get here. Conversely, what are the winters like? Here we get very little snow, it's gray, and not much sun.

Any other insight or info anyone has, please don't hesitate to share.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2021, 12:45 PM

8,040 posts, read 10,632,364 times
Well, I can give you a little bit of my experience in Montana.

I lived in the Bitterroot Valley of Montana for a few years, about 30 miles outside of Missoula.

My personal experience:

- The native Montanans area very kind and giving people. They will help you out in a heartbeat. That being said, they are a little bit sheltered from some of the "ills" of society that plague other areas, and can be somewhat naive about that. Crime was low when I was there several years ago.
- They are very into the outdoors, due to the vast areas of open spaces and mountains that surround them, and very into hunting, etc.
- The area I lived in, Ravalli County, is probably the most liberal area in the state. Yes, people do exist that love guns and still vote Democrat.
- Montana is NOT an inexpensive state to live in. There is not a lot of industry since the logging trade virtually left, and good paying jobs are hard to find, but you may be able to get into the school system.
- There are just a few "cities" in Montana, Billings, Helena, and Great Falls. Missoula is a college town.
- Housing and property is high, mainly due to a lot of people from California and other areas cashing out and fleeing to the state. (The native Montanans are not particularly pleased with this.)
- The heat is dry in the summer yes, but it is still very HOT. The topography is arid, so there is not a lot of shade.
- Lots of snow, and very cold temps in the winter, but they do a good job of clearing the roads, and nothing closes due to snow (no school snow days etc.)
- Towns are spread very far apart, and a lot of driving is necessary to reach different destinations

Hope this helps. I hope others will chime in here with more information to share with you about Montana and other areas and states you area seeking info about.

If you're looking for seclusion, Montana is your state. It is the largest state after Texas, with one of the lowest populations in the country. For me, it was too expensive, and a bit too secluded.

Best of luck!

Old 04-18-2021, 09:41 PM

40 posts, read 38,494 times
Well, I’ll give you Idaho insight. The Boise area is fantastic as the economy is booming. Housing is the issue here. We plan on selling our house in a few weeks and renting in Rapid City this summer. Mainly to reap the profit off the house and to move to a smaller population. The population growth in Boise is putting a strain on the infrastructure. Winters are mild and humidity is non existent.

Old 04-19-2021, 02:03 PM

249 posts, read 241,901 times
I live about 60 miles south of Rapid so I will try to answer your questions about S D.
1] The economy around Rapid is strong. Unemployment is low and housing construction is going nuts.
2]The Public school system in S D sucks. Public school teachers in S D are among the lowest paid in the nation. I have no reason that the private schools pay any better.
3] Rapid is the 2nd largest city in S D. That makes it a decent sized small town in most states. It has more of a small town feel than that of a large city. The pace of life is much slower than in any city I have been in.
4] The climate is dry. If you like to garden, you will need a green house or irrigation. I think the winters are mild, but I was raised near Fargo. If you hate humidity and do not mind a little dust, you will probably like the climate. Tornadoes are as rare as hurricanes here.

Old 05-01-2021, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Well, I can give you a little bit of my experience in Montana.

I lived in the Bitterroot Valley of Montana for a few years, about 30 miles outside of Missoula.

My personal experience:

- The native Montanans area very kind and giving people. They will help you out in a heartbeat. That being said, they are a little bit sheltered from some of the "ills" of society that plague other areas, and can be somewhat naive about that. Crime was low when I was there several years ago.
- They are very into the outdoors, due to the vast areas of open spaces and mountains that surround them, and very into hunting, etc.
- The area I lived in, Ravalli County, is probably the most liberal area in the state. Yes, people do exist that love guns and still vote Democrat.
- Montana is NOT an inexpensive state to live in. There is not a lot of industry since the logging trade virtually left, and good paying jobs are hard to find, but you may be able to get into the school system.
- There are just a few "cities" in Montana, Billings, Helena, and Great Falls. Missoula is a college town.
- Housing and property is high, mainly due to a lot of people from California and other areas cashing out and fleeing to the state. (The native Montanans are not particularly pleased with this.)
- The heat is dry in the summer yes, but it is still very HOT. The topography is arid, so there is not a lot of shade.
- Lots of snow, and very cold temps in the winter, but they do a good job of clearing the roads, and nothing closes due to snow (no school snow days etc.)
- Towns are spread very far apart, and a lot of driving is necessary to reach different destinations

Hope this helps. I hope others will chime in here with more information to share with you about Montana and other areas and states you area seeking info about.

If you're looking for seclusion, Montana is your state. It is the largest state after Texas, with one of the lowest populations in the country. For me, it was too expensive, and a bit too secluded.

Best of luck!
Thank you kindly for that Montana info. Hoping others can chime in but your insight is what I generally imagined.

Old 05-01-2021, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick13 View Post
I live about 60 miles south of Rapid so I will try to answer your questions about S D.
1] The economy around Rapid is strong. Unemployment is low and housing construction is going nuts.
2]The Public school system in S D sucks. Public school teachers in S D are among the lowest paid in the nation. I have no reason that the private schools pay any better.
3] Rapid is the 2nd largest city in S D. That makes it a decent sized small town in most states. It has more of a small town feel than that of a large city. The pace of life is much slower than in any city I have been in.
4] The climate is dry. If you like to garden, you will need a green house or irrigation. I think the winters are mild, but I was raised near Fargo. If you hate humidity and do not mind a little dust, you will probably like the climate. Tornadoes are as rare as hurricanes here.
Excellent, thank you! I didn’t know the schools weren’t very good there. That’s too bad. Regardless, thank you for the insight into the area. You didn’t mention there being lots of outdoor activities available. I know there is loads to do though.

Old 05-04-2021, 09:30 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,106,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgobucks! View Post
Excellent, thank you! I didn’t know the schools weren’t very good there. That’s too bad. Regardless, thank you for the insight into the area. You didn’t mention there being lots of outdoor activities available. I know there is loads to do though.
What type of outdoor activities are you looking for? There is fishing and hunting that is above average and less crowded than many more populous states, plus boating on the reservoir. There is some pretty good hiking, but it is concentrated in the Black Hills for the most part. You'll end up repeating the same hiking and camping after a few trips. Rock hounding places are abundant. Skiing is marginal at best. Though it gets cold and windy in the winter (below zero a few times a year), and some big snow storms. Usually a lot of wind with the storms, but the snow usually melts off pretty quickly. A few drifts and piles may last a few weeks, but the roads are clear in a few days usually.

Anything in particular you are looking for in the Rapid City area?

Old 05-04-2021, 02:20 PM

Ok super. Yes, looking for everything you mentioned, pretty much.

Hunting (this is a very important one for me)
Hiking and backpacking (very important for the family)
Fishing (mostly trout and walleye...some pike and
Kayaking (have 4 kayaks and use frequently)

We’re not skiers. Bummer that we’d end up repeating the hiking trips. I’m sure we’d be venturing to a Wyoming’s Big Horns and on over to the Tetons for the bigger backpacking and hiking though, especially if I were to be teaching by and have time in the summers.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like it’d have access to everything we’d want, at least to some degree.

Old 05-05-2021, 12:26 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,106,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgobucks! View Post
Ok super. Yes, looking for everything you mentioned, pretty much.

Hunting (this is a very important one for me)
Hiking and backpacking (very important for the family)
Fishing (mostly trout and walleye...some pike and
Kayaking (have 4 kayaks and use frequently)

We’re not skiers. Bummer that we’d end up repeating the hiking trips. I’m sure we’d be venturing to a Wyoming’s Big Horns and on over to the Tetons for the bigger backpacking and hiking though, especially if I were to be teaching by and have time in the summers.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like it’d have access to everything we’d want, at least to some degree.
The top three above will be easy to do close outside of Rapid City. Kayaking, on the lakes/reservoir. There isn't really any whitewater kayaking that I know of. The streams I know of are too small and shallow, and don't have big run off surges. I googled whitewater kayaking and google gave me this:

"In the Black Hills of South Dakota water sports are an important element of enjoying the outdoors. ... All Black Hills lakes, 18 of them, are actually manmade reservoirs, and some of them create exquisitely picturesque settings. There are 800 miles of sparkling streams, but there are no whitewater rivers for rafting."

Old 05-05-2021, 12:58 PM

That works for us. We’re not hardcore whitewater kayakers...we like to float down creeks, rivers, somewhat leisurely while fishing and just piddling. Thank you for the info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City