Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2020, 10:57 PM

414 posts, read 972,729 times

Advertisements

I have seen a few. Remember that in cold climates the batteries are greatly reduced in power. And there are not a lot of charging places out here. You may find returning to home as the most reliable way to recharge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2020, 10:37 PM

7,646 posts, read 4,596,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 212david51 View Post
I have seen a few. Remember that in cold climates the batteries are greatly reduced in power. And there are not a lot of charging places out here. You may find returning to home as the most reliable way to recharge.
Found the Tesla group for South Dakota. They're basically saying it will cut your range by about 35% in the cold weather, because running the heat uses a lot of energy...though that's still a couple hundred miles, so I should be fine.

They did warn me that a heated garage is a must. If the batteries get very cold they won't work well and could cause damage to themselves. To that point, if the car registers -30 for more than 8 hours, the warranty is invalidated.

They just opened a new supercharging station in Sturgis, albeit like here there's one already at the Rushmore mall. I generally pick a night, plug it in and go shop for a bit. Albeit with the mall closed now I simply walk around the building for some exercise. Times out pretty well.

However, the wife is dubious. She'd be moving 2nd as she'd have her business to sell. For "safekeeping" she'd like to keep the Tesla and I take the other car. Any ideas on how to get that back from her?

Old 05-24-2021, 12:19 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,569,029 times
I just saw this today.

Tesla’s silently roll into Custer

https://www.kotatv.com/2021/05/22/te...l-into-custer/

Old 10-03-2021, 01:06 AM

414 posts, read 972,729 times
Tesla has bent over backwards to make it hard for others to work on their cars. So if your Tesla needs some major repair the closest place to fix it is in Denver. That is 400 mile drive. If you have to have the car towed down there it will cost you a bundle. I suggest you sell your Tesla and buy a Ford, GM, Toyota, or any other car that has a dealership in Rapid City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City