Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2020, 02:05 PM

3,786 posts, read 5,327,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowFamilyRedWhite&Blu View Post
TEAK --- you said, "You might consider Sioux Falls as an option. The city is larger than Rapid City and has more going for it culturally and economically. Lots of jobs in Sioux Falls." So I want to ask you, do you think Rapid City would be open to more stuff culturally and economically? More cultural events, more artistic venues and more higher paying jobs? I'm not being sarcastic. Maybe people like it all fine just as it is. Sioux Falls looks nice, but it just doesn't cut it, thanks for suggesting though.
I was just suggesting another SD option that might suit people from New York City better. The Sioux Falls metro area is probably over 200,000 if you add in nearby cities like Harrisburg and Brandon. Interstate 29 provides quick access to Fargo (to the north) and Sioux City and Omaha (to the south). Rapid City is a bit more isolated in that respect: I-90 takes you to Gillette, Wyoming to the west and Wall Drug to the east.

Not sure by what you meant 'Sioux Falls just doesn't cut it'. Anyway, enjoy your move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2020, 03:00 PM

112 posts, read 151,460 times
Thanks for your perspective Teak and for letting me know my comment about Sioux Falls wasn't clear.

As an aside, y'all are much better about expressing yourselves in clear, concise sound bites. I lack that editing ability and am always too long-winded, probably like right now, as an example. When I try to be brief I always leave some key element out, as in my Sioux Falls comment.

I have nothing against Sioux Falls. Frankly, I know very little about Sioux Falls. It could be a lovely place for all I know. It may be where we go when we look for the big city vibe, seeking adventure and something more exotic. It ALSO may be where we'll find the best professional services, like lawyers and accountants (though I think the state capital may be even better???)

Purely for personal reasons, we're attracted to the small city vibe. We like being close to the mountains. We have friends in Wyoming, so being somewhat closer to Jackson is an added benefit though admittedly, it's not exactly "close" by any stretch.

Through life experience, we aren't keen on sub-urban sprawl and all the traffic and other problems that come with it. We like that Rapid City is compact. It reminds me how in a former life what it was like in a small European village where you're likely to bump into friends just as you go about your daily routine, walking your kids to school, running errands, etc. That close connection to people makes life richer in my opinion.

So if anyone reading this is from Sioux Falls, I certainly meant no offense. As for Rapid City, can you think of anything at all that would make life there more pleasurable? Something that would be an overall enhancement to the community? Thanks for your input.

Old 02-01-2020, 03:07 PM

Hey JMGG ---
I'm a foreigner to SD so help me out please.
You said, "Big difference with the water here vs the Black Hills. You sure as hell don't want to swim in it."

Are you in Sioux Falls? Which water don't I want to swim in? Black Hills? Black Hills too cold? Help a New Yorker out. Thanks.

Last edited by RainbowFamilyRedWhite&Blu; 02-01-2020 at 03:45 PM.. Reason: typo.

Old 02-01-2020, 08:57 PM

4,861 posts, read 6,926,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowFamilyRedWhite&Blu View Post
Hey JMGG ---
I'm a foreigner to SD so help me out please.
You said, "Big difference with the water here vs the Black Hills. You sure as hell don't want to swim in it."

Are you in Sioux Falls? Which water don't I want to swim in? Black Hills? Black Hills too cold? Help a New Yorker out. Thanks.
The Sioux River and other rivers in farm country are not very clean. Lots of farm runoff of nitrates, chemicals and yes, fecal matter from livestock (not human as is too common now in some major cities). In the Black Hills the streams are a LOT cleaner with most of them being fed by mountain snow melt and springs.

The water in the Black Hills IS quite cold, but pretty clean and safe.

There is a town in the hills called Hot Springs (appropriately named) that has a very unique indoor swimming pool called Evan's Plunge. The water there is very warm mineral water naturally heated by an underground "hot" spring. I haven't been there for 40 years now, but it used to be a very popular tourist attraction.

Old 02-01-2020, 09:10 PM

Thanks for the reply! The last time I was there, we took back roads from Mt. Rushmore up to Deadwood and then eventually headed west back to Jackson, WY. The seed was planted then, no matter how many truly magnificent spots we visited around the world. I need to reel it in, but you keep making it sound better and better! What's NOT to like, I ask myself. And then the famous last words, "What could POSSIBLY go wrong?" We all know a lot more goes into making a home and building a community than grabbing those Instagram views. It sure is enticing though...

Time will tell.

Old 02-02-2020, 06:40 AM

249 posts, read 242,075 times
FWIW, I am enjoying this thread. Your question about Rapid being open to more cultural and/or economic development caused me to rethink some of my own acquired attitudes about the area. Rapid is expanding their civic center in an effort to attract more and larger cultural events. New business's are moving in, but that may be because the national economy is currently strong. So, in some respects, the area may not be as regressive as I thought.
Regarding the water around Hot Springs; The well I mentioned above is about 5 miles south of Hot Springs and the temp is just a little more than body temperature. We will be keeping a pitcher of water in the fridge for drinking purposes. I still have not received the lab tests but I fully expect them to be acceptable.

Old 02-02-2020, 10:53 AM

Hello all! I have only a few minutes on this Super Bowl Sunday to drop in. I'm glad you're getting something out of this, Dick. I certainly am! I keep coming back and it's nice to see others drop in a comment. So often it seems these threads just die out of neglect and community involvement is nice. Nice too, to have a group, however small, of intelligent, thoughtful people willing to chip in their two cents.

As to the economy, I just read an incredibly favorable piece on Rapid City, citing Forbes magazine as mentioning RC as the #9 place in which to do business. Check it out as it sings the praises of Rapid City and the Black Hills in general. Here it is...

https://www.businessinfocusmagazine....04/rapid-city/

As you can see, it has some age on it and there's probably newer press but I thought I'd share.

I for one, wishes there was more open land in the downtown city center for development or re-development. Lots of older housing, not very expensive and I wonder if redevelopment is an option. Any thoughts at all -- from anyone -- on what new businesses or business sectors might help Rapid City as it grows and changes to meet the needs of tomorrow? Any thoughts on any aspect that might improve the quality of life here? I am not an "official" city planner but I think long-term planning is beneficial for any city. So often communities are ruined through a lack of foresight, be it zoning or even infrastructure. It always annoys me that communities will build expensive housing and then fail to put in sidewalks. Mothers have to push their baby strollers in the street!!! Walking in the street... for adults or children is insane.

Lastly Dick, I have a question for you...
The water that came out of my well in Florida was safe for consumption but due to the sulphur content, it stunk up the place. That rotten egg smell, not bad for you but definitely not very pleasant. As for the water down by Hot Springs, is it a concern that the warmth is actually a breeding ground for bacteria? I have friends in Jackson, WY and they say the supervolcano that will eventually blow its top and destroy the planet is practically under their house. With any luck we'll be long gone by then. If we ignore the question of WHY would someone buy there, it makes me wonder if there is a similar underground volcano under Hot Springs. My luck is such that she will blow her top to kingdom come the day after we close on our new Black Hills property. ha!

We're putting out quite a spread for the Super Bowl. It all begins with the Puppy Bowl and not just for the kids, we like it too! The food will be amazing. It seems like half the village will be stopping in. Wish y'all could drop in and grab some wings and ribs. Unless you're a 49'ers fan. (just kidding.)

Our money is riding on Kansas City. It's been 50 years and it's about time. Hoping it's a good game and even better commercials! Cheers.

Old 02-02-2020, 11:18 AM

249 posts, read 242,075 times
Experience has taught me to bet on the team that wins the coin toss. division champs are so closely matched that luck of the day determines the winner.
My water smells good, looks good, and tastes good. I am just waiting for the official science based report.

Old 02-02-2020, 11:55 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,775,529 times
The water will be hot enough to kill most bacteria. The well is tested as part of the process. They also calculate flow rates and so on. Most of the deep water wells are safe for drinking water.

The town is expanding towards the south along Highway 16. As far a redevelopment, there is some here and there, but nothing too extreme. Is there a direction I would like to see the area head? Looking forward, I am not sure. The Air Force base is slated to be a base for the B-21 bomber that is being developed.

As much as I like Jackson Wyoming area, the town of Jackson itself does not suit me at all.

Old 02-02-2020, 12:36 PM

Well, as they say, feedback is the breakfast of champions. I appreciate your input. I kind of feel the same way as you do about Jackson. So touristy, there doesn't seem to be a "heart" of the community. But have you seen the home prices there? Sky-high! And bordering on absurd, by my thinking. Maybe I'm missing something. Obviously a lot of people see things differently than we do. My guess is it's all about the tax rate and the views. By the end of this century there'll be close to 12 billion people on this planet, compared to today's 7.5 billion. And places just like Jackson and yes, Rapid City will be highly valued for their remoteness and pristine setting (that is, as long as RC doesn't blow it with out-of-control growth.) I'll long be food for worms by then.

Last edited by RainbowFamilyRedWhite&Blu; 02-02-2020 at 12:45 PM.. Reason: typo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City