Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2023, 12:37 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times

Advertisements

My best buddy of 13 years died yesterday morning at home. I've been through some traumatic things in my life - devastating breakups, my own stage IV cancer diagnosis, finding my best (human) friend dead at home - but throughout it all Puck was with me. In the past week I had come to terms that he was likely coming to the end of his life since, for the first time, he was acting his age (roughly 16), but I never ever considered that he would go at home versus peacefully at the vet.

While physically moving a few weeks ago, he stayed at his regular vet and they let me know he had lost 3 pounds in the past 6 months. I couldn't believe I didn't notice but he was fluffy and still eating normally. Bloodwork and urinalysis ruled out diabetes and kidney disease, and my vet suggested that it may be due to his years of IBD that was under control through diet and pred. Post-move, he seemed more fragile but I chalked that up to nerves from the change. He was still cuddly and following me from room to room, enjoying being close to me but sitting in a new window or cat bed in each space to watch the birds.

We made an emergency vet visit on Thursday because he had stopped eating more than a few bites in the past 24 hours and threw up 3 times overnight. He had less food motivated over the past month, but I attributed it to getting tired of his prescription food (which happened frequently, but it was the only thing that didn't give him diarrhea) coupled with a move. They gave him some fluids, anti nausea meds, and meds to help boost his appetite and suggested an ultrasound. We've been down this road before with the IBD and he needed to be sedated for the ultrasound. At his age, I was reluctant to put him through that, especially since I made the decision when he was diagnosed with IBD that we would not pursue chemo at his age to prolong his life if it was going to mean a lesser quality of life. As a lymphoma survivor myself who understood what was going on, I couldn't put him through it.

Thursday night, he ate a bit more. We sat together on the kitchen floor and I fed him bit by bit on a spoon. Looking back, he probably didn't want to eat but was just trying to make me happy. It took a bit to get him purring, and he wasn't nearly as engaged with me as he normally was - no leaning into me, no returning my headbutt. I brought him with me to sleep in the bed, and while he didn't want to sleep next to me he stayed at the foot of the bed.

When I woke up, he wasn't in my room and didn't come as he normally would when called. I looked in the normal places and he wasn't there. Finally, I looked under the couch and he was huddled up with his pupils dialated. When I said his name, he cried. Every time I said anything, he cried. I tried to coax him out but he wouldn't move, so I told him to hang on and we'd go to the emergency vet. In the 30 seconds it took for me to put on shoes and grab his crate, he was gone.

He waited, probably in a lot of pain, to say goodbye to me one last time. I'm so devastated. I know you can't look at it this way, but if I had any idea of what was happening then I would have let him go at the vet yesterday or stayed up with him all night giving him all of his favorite treats. My boyfriend (his other favorite person) would have come to be with him to say goodbye. The vet who treated him at the emergency vet thinks he likely had a small stroke on earlier this week that left him weak and a little unsteady. Then he likely had a much more major stroke on Friday morning, probably tied to undiagnosed cancer.

In my entire adult life, I've never been without him. We were alone for months together during the pandemic. My whole life revolved around him and his needs, especially in the last few years where his IBD needed more and more specialty care to keep him comfy or to clean up after the fact.

When I got Puck, I was volunteering in a cat room of a major animal shelter because I was afraid if I was in the dog room I'd go home with a dog. Puck walked right up to me with his tail in the air and jumped up on my lap - and that was it. He came home with me that night and since then accompanied me on one cross country move, several apartments with roommates (and their cats), and finally living on our own. He turned me into a cat person. I'm not sure how to handle the loneliness of living alone without him or the guilt of feeling like I failed him. I don't know if I've ever loved anyone as much as I loved him. He was my fuzzy, destructive perpetual toddler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2023, 04:00 PM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
Sorry for your loss. We had to take my wife's dog to the vet to be put down on December 23 several years ago and that was a hard Christmas not just for us, but for my step kids (all adults). This was my mother in law's dog and when she died Snowball couldn't figure out where she was.

Our neighbors had a 12 year old cat that wasn't eating and having trouble getting around. Vet said to take her home and see if she might perk up a little bit, thinking she just caught a little something. She got worse so my friend called the vet back and had an appointment for a couple hours later to put her to sleep. 10 minutes before leaving, she found the cat had curled up in her little bed and died. Said it was like she knew what was about to happen and just wanted to save them the trouble.

Old 11-02-2023, 11:06 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,345,258 times
I'm only just seeing this now. I hope with the passage of time you know you did your best. Would Puck blame you for any of the choices you made? I didn't think so.

He just knows how dearly you loved him and how much he meant to you. That's a lovely legacy.

Cherish his memory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge