Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2023, 08:54 AM

35,000 posts, read 16,964,237 times

Advertisements

National Geographic's web feed had an article this morning about the origins of the "Rainbow Bridge" poem (link). The article absolutely brought tears to my eyes. Excerpts below:
Quote:
The ‘Rainbow Bridge’ has comforted millions of pet parents. Who wrote it?

More than a dozen people claimed ownership of the beloved poem, but the real author had no idea what a global sensation it became.

“What initially would have seemed like the most unlikely candidate in the end turned out to be the most intriguing candidate and, of course, the actual author,” Koudounaris says.
When Koudounaris finally reached Clyne-Rekhy in January and asked if she was the author of “Rainbow Bridge,” her first response, she says, was “How on Earth did you find me!?’”
Clyne-Rekhy’s story, which Koudounaris detailed earlier this month, began in 1959. She was 19 years old and grieving the loss of her Labrador Retriever, Major. “He died in my arms, actually,” she recalled in a call with National Geographic. “I dearly loved him.”
The day after Major died, Clyne-Rekhy was still “just crying and crying,” she says, when her mother asked her what was wrong.
“It’s Major,” Clyne-Rekhy replied. “I can’t put away this soreness.”
I just could no resist sharing this. Moderator(s) if this is in the wrong thread or forum, please let me know. Poem, in public domain (link) below:
Quote:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor.
Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance.
His bright eyes are intent.
His eager body quivers.
Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again.
The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
Author unknown... (until recently)

Picture and article public domain

Last edited by jbgusa; 03-03-2023 at 09:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2023, 10:09 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,345,258 times
Thanks for posting this.

Sadly, the poem and it's back story are once again timely. Be looking for me, Luci.

Old 03-03-2023, 10:55 AM

35,000 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
Thanks for posting this.

Sadly, the poem and it's back story are once again timely. Be looking for me, Luci.
I am quite sorry to hear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge