Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2022, 09:43 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,293,626 times

Advertisements

I have a very sweet dog, about 12 years old, who has been struggling with ulcers in his urethra and UTIs over the past few years, to the point where in the last few months he has required a diaper wrap on at all times or else he just leaks all over the house. If we were home all the time it wouldn't be a big deal - we'd be able to monitor him and make sure the wrap doesn't shift or come off. Unfortunately, we are not able to work remotely 5x a week and managing his issues have become very tough. The hardwood floors and carpets in my house are basically a mess at this point.

He cannot be crated because he has severe claustrophobia (he chewed his way out of one of those heavy plastic crates the first time we put him in one after we adopted him and is able to escape the metal cages). For the same reason he cannot be cooped up in one room (my shredded bedroom door and carpet attests to that). We would never leave him outside all day and frankly can't because he is fence aggressive.

It has come to the point where I feel like euthanasia is better for everyone on the human side. My vet has spent a couple years attempting to figure out how to fix my dog's issues, to no avail. Thankfully, he has given me many discounts over the years considering how many scans, x-rays, catheters, prescriptions and overnight stays have been involved in all that time.

Other than the urinary issues, my dog is healthy. He's happy. He's my buddy. But I just don't have the monetary resources to pay for continued meds, vet visits and disposable diaper wraps (I've tried reusable diapers that can be laundered, which don't fit him). I feel incredibly guilty when I think about putting him down because it's MY inconvenience to deal with my permanently stained floors and carpets, MY inability to work from home and monitor him, and MY lack of funds to continue the level of care much longer.

With my other dogs, there's been a clear demarcation in the timeline that allows me to make the decision and put my dog down. Inoperable cancer kind of does that. But this is different, and I am truly unable to make the decision, and I'm in tears trying to figure it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2022, 08:43 AM

2,450 posts, read 1,676,763 times
I teared up reading it. I absolutely wish you the best in whatever you decide to do.

Old 11-17-2022, 12:02 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,102,471 times
You're in a tough place, and I feel for you. I'm guessing your dog can't be left outside in a fenced yard when no one is home? Is there a different vet or vet specialty hospital that can give you a second opinion? Best wishes for you as you make this tough decision.

Old 11-17-2022, 12:13 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,217,168 times
Sometimes we have to say goodbye to the friends we love. I wish you the best in whatever decision you make.

Old 11-17-2022, 01:00 PM

4,270 posts, read 6,293,626 times
I posted the update on my cross-posted thread, but we sadly had to put our dog down. I continued to try to figure out solutions, but on November 5 he took a turn for the worse and stopped eating, drinking, no energy and wouldn't even eat his favorite treats. His antibiotics had finished about a week prior. To make him comfortable I gave him 1/2 doses of the muscle relaxants we had received with this meds, and on that Monday I took him to the vet to put him down.

Whereas before I struggled and doubted my ability to make a decision, I felt complete peace about putting him down. His refusal to eat/drink was him telling me he was done, and I was fine with that. His urn is now on my mantel, and I have looked at pictures of him every single day, loving the memories I have from our 8 1/2 years together.

He truly was THE BEST DOG I've ever had.

Old 11-17-2022, 01:07 PM

20,757 posts, read 19,951,234 times
He made the decision for you.

I am sorry for your loss. I lost my dog 4 weeks ago after almost 17 years. I feel your pain. Hugs.

Old 11-17-2022, 01:11 PM

1,962 posts, read 2,707,067 times
So sorry.

Old 11-17-2022, 08:32 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
He made the decision for you.

I am sorry for your loss. I lost my dog 4 weeks ago after almost 17 years. I feel your pain. Hugs.
Eve, i am so very sorry your beloved Josy/ best friend has passed on to "The Rainbow Bridge". (((hugs)))
My heart aches for you.
Now, Josy is running, playing, eating with the other pups on the "Rainbow Bridge".

Old 11-17-2022, 08:51 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
I posted the update on my cross-posted thread, but we sadly had to put our dog down. I continued to try to figure out solutions, but on November 5 he took a turn for the worse and stopped eating, drinking, no energy and wouldn't even eat his favorite treats. His antibiotics had finished about a week prior. To make him comfortable I gave him 1/2 doses of the muscle relaxants we had received with this meds, and on that Monday I took him to the vet to put him down.

Whereas before I struggled and doubted my ability to make a decision, I felt complete peace about putting him down. His refusal to eat/drink was him telling me he was done, and I was fine with that. His urn is now on my mantel, and I have looked at pictures of him every single day, loving the memories I have from our 8 1/2 years together.

He truly was THE BEST DOG I've ever had.
It is very hard to do this, but you have done the Best for your pup, the right thing. I, also have had to put my beloved pal to rest, before.
Now, your beloved pal is running, playing with all the other friends, at "The Rainbow Bridge", having a Wonderful Time...

Old 06-11-2023, 03:36 PM

144 posts, read 146,102 times
I lost my Pug of 14 years just recently to cancer but I would not let him suffer in anyway.
Taking him to the vet was very hard for me as he was a constant companion. Best dog I ever had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge