Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2022, 06:32 PM

683 posts, read 205,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
My husband and I are in our 70's. No family live nearby. Our beloved Pekingese dog died September 6th, 2020, He was 13. I will not be getting another pet for physical and financial reasons. We miss him every day. There is still pain of loss.
My Leon (beagle/jack russell mix but looked 100 percent beagle) was 9 years old, the most unique dog I have ever known. He was killed on Sunday by a car and I am crushed with sorrow more than I can handle. I don't think I will ever fully recover...he was my best friend and now he is gone and I am shattered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2022, 06:41 PM

3,269 posts, read 1,748,688 times
It's never easy. Been there, done that. Rescued a huge tabby who took an immediate liking to the Mrs and follows her around the house like a lil' dog. That's rescue #4 for us.

You did the right thing.

Old 05-18-2022, 04:19 PM

189 posts, read 70,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL-5 View Post
My Leon (beagle/jack russell mix but looked 100 percent beagle) was 9 years old, the most unique dog I have ever known. He was killed on Sunday by a car and I am crushed with sorrow more than I can handle. I don't think I will ever fully recover...he was my best friend and now he is gone and I am shattered.
I am so very sorry. I was just saying to myself the other day that I don't think I'll recover. We lost our lab of 13 yrs. about 3 months ago. The grief for me comes in waves and when you don't expect it. It will take some time.

Old 05-18-2022, 04:54 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,238,344 times
I lost both my 2 shelties last June within a few days of each other. I didnt think Id ever get over it. I swore I didnt want another dog, the pain was too great. I did end up getting another pup last November, I just felt I was ready to love again. I still think of my 2 every day, and have pictures of them plastered all over my computer. My new little one hasnt taken their place in any way, but has sort of carved his own little spot in my heart. And Im grateful that he dug me out of a very very dark place, as my grief was very real. Im just now able to look at old pictures and videos and smile.

Old 05-18-2022, 05:09 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Thank you, everyone, for your posts. This is a great thread. How we love our babies.

Old 05-18-2022, 05:18 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,259,079 times
I recommend all the time a book called "Goodbye Friend" by Gary Kowalski. It helped me immensely after two back to back euthanasia's. I'm not the author. Used copies start at $3.59. Personally I'd buy it new and keep it forever.

Old 05-20-2022, 01:50 PM

557 posts, read 1,675,354 times
I just lost my beloved Sassy this morning. She was a beautiful Standard Poodle, 14 1/2 years old. I have had many dogs over the years but never one like her. Aside from my wife, Sassy was the best friend I've ever had. I could swear she was almost human. We got her as a rescue dog when she was 10 weeks old and gave her the best home she could have ever had. She lived life to the fullest and passed with dignity at home, with me stroking her head and telling her how much I loved her. I don't know what I'm going to do, we can't stop crying.
Attached Thumbnails
The Pain of Losing a Pet-img_20220520_111854.jpg  

Old 05-20-2022, 02:12 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,947,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL-5 View Post
I am very sorry to hear of your loss. That is the price we pay for having animals in our life; we know we will in all probability outlive them and it never gets easier. I hope in time the happy memories you have of the time spent together will outweigh the sorrow of losing him.

Old 05-20-2022, 02:16 PM

1,904 posts, read 1,045,336 times
We do not get to keep Animals or Loved ones.

We get to hold them for a time and enjoy their company. But like us, they too are just passing through...

One day they must leave (just as we do). They go onto another Life, (just as you will).

They come into our life as a gift and help pass the days of monotony, strife, joy and laughter.

They give us their companionship in exchange for a roof and food. Its a deal of the lifetime.

When they go, we are reminded of the stark loneliness and harshness of life.

They teach us that life isn't so bad, when you have a friend to walk with you...When they leave, a hole in left in our hearts that only time can heal....

Last edited by Balkins; 05-20-2022 at 02:33 PM..

Old 05-20-2022, 03:07 PM

557 posts, read 1,675,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkins View Post
We do not get to keep Animals or Loved ones.

We get to hold them for a time and enjoy their company. But like us, they too are just passing through...

One day they must leave (just as we do). They go onto another Life, (just as you will).

They come into our life as a gift and help pass the days of monotony, strife, joy and laughter.

They give us their companionship in exchange for a roof and food. Its a deal of the lifetime.

When they go, we are reminded of the stark loneliness and harshness of life.

They teach us that life isn't so bad, when you have a friend to walk with you...When they leave, a hole in left in our hearts that only time can heal....

Thank you, that does help. I know that probably most people believe that when pets die, they are just gone. I can't believe that; I feel positive that I will see Sassy again and that we will play just as hard as we did when she was here with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge