Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2021, 12:36 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times

Advertisements

I lost my heart dog, Infinity, a harlequin Great Dane, a couple of days ago. She was 11 1/2 and I had had her since she was a small puppy. Her loss hurts our family terribly, but my wife and I understand what's going on so I think it's better for us. Unfortunately her 9 year old Dane sister doesn't. She only knows her older housemate is gone and she has lived with her her entire life. Nilla Wafer is deaf and was dependent on Infinity for many things. It breaks my heart to see her so sad. We're all devastated but I don't know how to help her feel better. She came with us to the vet for the euthanasia. I think it might have helped Nilla look for her less, but she is still terribly lonely. Fortunately my wife and I are home most of the day, but next week I am leaving on a long out of town work trip. I just want to help the best I can. I know I can't fix it, though. We have no other pets and no plans on getting any anytime soon. Suggestions appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
How to Help My Grieving Surviving Dog-infinity-nilla-cuddling.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2021, 11:49 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
I'm so sorry for your loss. We had to put our 14 year old Golden down a few months ago. When we came back from the vet without their big sister, our other two dogs sniffed us and seemed to understand what had happened. They were sad for a few days but they are very bonded to each other which has helped to ease their sadness. We recently had to take one of the dogs to the vet for something relatively minor and our other dog was frantic until she got back home - crying, pacing, looking out the windows. Dogs know more than we realize.

We're thinking of getting a 3rd dog for them both to bond with. But we haven't quite been able to do that, yet. I think we all need a little more time. Again, I am so sorry for your loss.

Old 07-07-2021, 12:56 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
As far as what you can do to make Nilla Wafer feel better, I think that you are doing the right things now. Continue to keep her company, give her lots of love and any special treats that she enjoys. I think she will get less sad as the days go by. She sounds really sweet.

Old 07-18-2021, 05:41 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,915,057 times
I am so sorry for your loss.

When one of my Rottweilers passed, his Lab/Sharpei friend stopped eating/drinking/ taking care of business. It was gut wrenching.

The best way I have found is to get another dog but that isn’t possible for everyone.

I have taken in rescues most of my life so getting a dog “five minutes ago” has never been an issue, but old age is now getting in the way of that.

Hopefully you are able and can find a somewhat younger dog as a companion to keep Nilla Wafer occupied.

If your love is Great Danes,please look at the Great Dane rescue websites. There are many out there who would be so grateful for a home such as you can provide

My sympathies over your loss and best wishes whatever you decide
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge