Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2022, 04:14 PM

25 posts, read 32,757 times

Advertisements

I never thought I would be one of these people to have to tell a story of being taken advantage of in Florida thru renovation of our home, but…
We bought a home in Gulf Cove on the Myakka River. We flew down for a day I had set up appointments with four different contractors. One showed up and he was only there for the LVP flooring. Don Brammeier from Footprint Floors in nearby Nokomis. He did mention that he had a ‘professional contractor’ that may be available to help us with the whole home restoration. Flooring, paint, complete kitchen and baths replacement, plumbing, electrical, etc. As Don said ‘a full service contractor’. We then flew down another time to meet with Don and Doug McClellan owner of Elite Custom Floors and More in North Port.
They gave a great pitch and we decided to us Doug for the project. Doug’s estimate was $60,000 plus $14,000 additional for painting the entire inside. On December 31st of last winter I sent a $30,000 deposit to start work. Due to supply chain issues the cabinets for kitchen and baths would take 14 weeks. So for near four months Doug did nothing! No kitchen or bath tear out, no floor removal. No nothing.

When work finally did begin (not until we actually moved down here in late June) the work schedule started out with five hour work days for him and his son and two workers (Doug’s only savior were two incredible workers in Harry and Josh). He may have had more workers, but another son has a history of crime that leads him to a fair amount of time in the Charlotte County jail. We also found out that Doug is a continual liar. He lies about his past, his families careers (everyone but him is a doctor or lawyer)and his work experience. Then it went to three hour days. And not showing up for days on end. I will admit though that one of the four day MIA stints was because of Doug’s tendency toward gun violence. He pulled a gun on a wrecker driver one night that was trying to repossess his car. So three days in jail so far.
His work is incomplete. Near total on the job training since his only adequacy is laying floors for Don. I found that he has never applied for a permit on any aspect of the project. He did the plumbing himself as an unlicensed and incapable plumber. And has no State tax permit so pays no work taxes. Calling the State tomorrow for that.

Oh did I mention that he stole one of my garage door remotes so he has access to my home and refuses to return it. Thought to self… Call the Charlotte County Sheriff. Doug has spent time in their jail as well as Sarasota County facilities so they know him by name.
Lengthy texting and phone calls has gotten me nowhere, but called names and other nasties. Don Brammeier of Footprint Floors refuses any responsibility of the labor of his products or not saying a word about Doug’s inabilities while standing beside Doug as he expounded on his super hero like work qualities on all aspects of home construction.

So, I too have been duped in Florida for several thousand dollars and now need to find someone to complete the work still not done after 11 months of time. So I suggest you may want to avoid Don Brammeier of Footprint Floors and Doug McClellan of Elite Custom Floors and More.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2022, 07:18 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
There is a cautionary tale there. Never, ever hire a contractor, or for that matter anyone to work on your property based solely on word of mouth and a great sales pitch. Always vet these people before you hire them, check their references, see that they are properly licensed for the work they do, insured ( liability insurance, workman's compensation if they have employees. You can check contractor or tradesmen license information on the FL Department of Professional Regulation website, the Better Business Bureau, the county government website for business license information or other licensure.

They always caution people about contractors who don't pull permits for jobs requiring permits, or who tell the customer permits are not needed for jobs that do require permits, or who ask the customers to get the permits themselves. These are red flags for possible fraud. You can check to see what jobs require permits, as well as checking to see if the contractor pulled the permits, on the county government website ( building and zoning).

Most of the contractors or tradesmen we have had doing work for us in the years we have lived here have been stellar, professional, honest and hardworking. They showed up when they said they would, worked till the job was done, cleaned up after themselves. A few asked for a low percentage initial payment for a big job, with the rest of the payment due at the end after the final inspection was passed. Most of them asked to be paid in total when the job was finished.

Old 11-07-2022, 07:27 PM

9,111 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Regarding the garage remote, immediately change the frequency. They can be reprogrammed, although the method is dependent on the door's manufacturer.

https://www.hunker.com/13415958/how-...ge-door-opener

Old 11-09-2022, 10:41 PM

56 posts, read 39,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7SierraTango View Post
I never thought I would be one of these people to have to tell a story of being taken advantage of in Florida thru renovation of our home, but…
We bought a home in Gulf Cove on the Myakka River. We flew down for a day I had set up appointments with four different contractors. One showed up and he was only there for the LVP flooring. Don Brammeier from Footprint Floors in nearby Nokomis. He did mention that he had a ‘professional contractor’ that may be available to help us with the whole home restoration. Flooring, paint, complete kitchen and baths replacement, plumbing, electrical, etc. As Don said ‘a full service contractor’. We then flew down another time to meet with Don and Doug McClellan owner of Elite Custom Floors and More in North Port.
They gave a great pitch and we decided to us Doug for the project. Doug’s estimate was $60,000 plus $14,000 additional for painting the entire inside. On December 31st of last winter I sent a $30,000 deposit to start work. Due to supply chain issues the cabinets for kitchen and baths would take 14 weeks. So for near four months Doug did nothing! No kitchen or bath tear out, no floor removal. No nothing.

When work finally did begin (not until we actually moved down here in late June) the work schedule started out with five hour work days for him and his son and two workers (Doug’s only savior were two incredible workers in Harry and Josh). He may have had more workers, but another son has a history of crime that leads him to a fair amount of time in the Charlotte County jail. We also found out that Doug is a continual liar. He lies about his past, his families careers (everyone but him is a doctor or lawyer)and his work experience. Then it went to three hour days. And not showing up for days on end. I will admit though that one of the four day MIA stints was because of Doug’s tendency toward gun violence. He pulled a gun on a wrecker driver one night that was trying to repossess his car. So three days in jail so far.
His work is incomplete. Near total on the job training since his only adequacy is laying floors for Don. I found that he has never applied for a permit on any aspect of the project. He did the plumbing himself as an unlicensed and incapable plumber. And has no State tax permit so pays no work taxes. Calling the State tomorrow for that.

Oh did I mention that he stole one of my garage door remotes so he has access to my home and refuses to return it. Thought to self… Call the Charlotte County Sheriff. Doug has spent time in their jail as well as Sarasota County facilities so they know him by name.
Lengthy texting and phone calls has gotten me nowhere, but called names and other nasties. Don Brammeier of Footprint Floors refuses any responsibility of the labor of his products or not saying a word about Doug’s inabilities while standing beside Doug as he expounded on his super hero like work qualities on all aspects of home construction.

So, I too have been duped in Florida for several thousand dollars and now need to find someone to complete the work still not done after 11 months of time. So I suggest you may want to avoid Don Brammeier of Footprint Floors and Doug McClellan of Elite Custom Floors and More.
Hi SierraTango, I am so sorry this happened to you!!! I would contact your local media. Sometimes this helps to get stuff fixed. Thanks for alerting us.

Old 11-11-2022, 03:44 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,820,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaRetired2020 View Post
Hi SierraTango, I am so sorry this happened to you!!! I would contact your local media. Sometimes this helps to get stuff fixed. Thanks for alerting us.
My guess an unlicensed contractor and frequent resident of local jail is not going to be bothered by a bad media review. But ya never know.

Old 11-11-2022, 01:19 PM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Florida.......A sunny place for shady people!

Old 11-13-2022, 12:22 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,126,009 times
Did you shop around or research reviews on google or yelp about these contractors? How about the BBB? Florida is a state for shady people, you have to be on your guard.

We moved into a fixer, the guy who painted the entire inside and installed seven new ceiling fans charged us 5k and the tiler who did our floor charged 4.50 a square foot, the total came to about 8k. He’s done, the house looks amazing, this man knows his tile. He said his price for installing LVP if we decided on that was 2.50 a square foot.
My guys were humble, but they came in and did an excellent job for us and charged a very fair price.

I’m looking for quartz countertops now, went into an upscale store yesterday and got an expensive quote. I’ll keep looking until I find a good deal with a company who does good work. This man must have been quite a salesman, but just because someone talks a good line from a fancy store, it doesn’t mean anything. I’ve talked with contractors and handymen who made big promises, and delivered only a fair job.

Go after this guy, he stole a lot of your money.

Old 11-15-2022, 10:42 AM

124 posts, read 98,805 times
Watch out !! there is a little thing called "Libel" which you are certainly guilty of now.

There is a proper way to cure contractual disputes, including fraud (a person/company doing shoddy work is not necessarily fraudulent, thus not actionable).

Don't be surprised if the contractor ends up filing a libel action against you.

Please consult a local attorney and ask him/her the possible ramifications of what you posted.

I'm laffin

Old 11-22-2022, 01:43 PM

Not to worry...

Last edited by 7SierraTango; 11-22-2022 at 02:29 PM.. Reason: I should be able to delete my own posts when sent in wrong forum

Old 11-22-2022, 01:54 PM

I've done all due diligence prior in this case. The arrests, tardiness, lying about experience have all been since the work began. There's no concern about libel, since that isn't even the correct legal term for this posting and all can be proven. (It's laughing, not 'laffin' by the way). There's not a concern about the worker filing against me. He currently has enough problems with problem children and his own violence with local authorities.

The floor company is being given some extra string and see if he wants to make things right first.

All the proper authorities have been contacted and both are in multiple gunsights from the correct people. I'm just finalizing the material for county, State and Federal agencies.

It's just disappointing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte